SRS What should I be expecting?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CopenKagan, Mar 14, 2005.

1. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

I called on Friday to a mental health clinic to try to see why I am the way I am. My parents confronted me a few weeks ago saying that I may have adult ADD. I really don't see that in myself, but whatever.

That is what I told the receptionist there when she kind of gave me an over the phone interview. She proceeded to ask me if I had been experiencing and anxiety or depression, which I replied with yes.

So I guess tomorrow (Monday) a doctor is going to call me, get a more thurough interview and see if I qualify to go get counceling, medication, etc...

I'm really quite nervous about this whole thing, what should I be expecting from this? I just dont want people to look down upon me when they find out that I'm not like them. Perhaps it's just part of why I am the way I am that when something like this comes up, I think people are going to judge me and look down upon me. I don't want this to happen among my family, friends and any future of either I will have. :hs:

2. It's not about anyone but you. Your health, and happiness are at the center of this process. I would suggest expecting them [The Clinic] to give you a thorough examination and I would ask them dead to right if you could work with someone on a continued basis for a period of time until you felt more comfortable.

Whether you need therapy or medication doesn't matter. Right now you just need help exploring, and this would aid that. Let them know you would like counsel - even if it's not necessary, and then explore with that counselor further ways to handle your health and your happiness - and see if he/she will manage your case in a manner you're comfortable with.

Remember, it's about you - no one else. This is about improving your quality of life and any negativity or judgment that others have about your decisions to make your situation better are coming from idiots and fools.

3. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I applaude you.. you did one of the hardest things anyone can do and that is get help. :bigthumb:

I can't advise you on what to expect. I suspect from my personal interviews with docs/shrinks is that they'll ask questions about your past depression/anxiety problems, if it's ADD related, probably a few questions about that as well.

Anyways.. keep us informed bro.

take care.

4. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

I just hope that these people I am talking about dont appear as foolish as I'm concerned they are going to be. I don't even neccisarily think they will look down on me because of it, I'm just concerned that it's going to be a subject to make fun of me about. In my past everyone is real cool with me until they find out that if they make fun of me, I will just brush it off. Well, in the past 2 or 3 years, it doesn't just "roll off" anymore. It's become something that I am self concious about. Everything that they say to poke fun I now take as a personal insult and am always self aware of and dont want people to know about it if they dont already. :hs:

5. I don't think anyone needs to know about your personal decision to seek treatment. Do you?

6. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

I don't think so, but there are those who will know regardless. I've just decided that if someone finds out and belittles me for it, then screw them, I don't need them that bad.

7. johan

johan Active Member

Turn it to your advantage.

If that happens, I would use that as a criteria to determine who you can do without in your life. Cause you don't need those fools around you. At all.

8. I agree, that's like making fun of someone for going to the doctors for a broken leg. It reflects poorly on them, not you.

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Just go for your sake being. Be totally honest to the docter and let the doc try to resolve the situation for you. No one will look down on you if you really have a problem, rather i think your family cares and loves you and will try to help you to get thru this situation.

10. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

Well I got said call from the clinic today. I guess they arent currently accepting new patients. So now I'm not sure what to do. They did their pricing based on what I make each month, so it would have been about $25 per visit.

I really cant afford more than that, hell, I could barely afford $25 each week.

Is there some sort of directory for doctors along with what kind of pricing they have? I really feel that I need to get this asessed but now I have no idea where to turn to.

11. Britney Spears

Britney Spears New Member

Beverly Hillz, California *~ I LOVE FANMAIL! ~* Je
    IF you have ADD... Might I suggest taking up a carrer on music, acting, or entrapenuring.

In other words. It's a blessing, no a curse.
    People with ADD tend to not dwell on the trivial petty occurances one might encounter in life. They have been proven to have less stress than the average person- AND art artistically inclined.

Go be a genius, Mozart.