GUN What shot timers are you guys using?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Keesh, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'd like to buy one to get a little practice done outside of competition. I've used the Pocket Pro II a lot while ROing and like it fine, just wondering if there was something similar in price that is better? Waterproof would be nice but not necessary. Brownells has a PPII for ~$110 so I'm thinking about that.

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

would the majority of shot times even work at an indoor range where some dude is blasting away with his AR a couple booths down?

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

I had the CED 7000, but I went back to an original Pocket Pro because the beep is the same beep that I will hear at 99% of the matches/clubs I shoot at.

I also like how tough the Pocket Pro is, with the CED7000 it didn't feel as "rugged" to me and my button's on top broke from it just being in my range bag.

We through these Pocket Pro's in the buckets, and they survive ton's of competition shooting. With what I've seen running these matches are, these timers are tough sonnafabitches and does everything I would need of a shot timer.

My timer looks like it's fell off a truck, but it keeps beeping and all of my buttons still work.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Probably not, but I shoot either on my own land or out on BLM which doesn't see a lot of other shooters.

Good to know, thanks. I figured there was a reason why just about every club used them. I saw one fail the other day but it could have been due to the cold and rain. I'll pickup one of those small pelican cases, that should work great for keeping it dry when not in use.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

I have a Pocket Pro II and like it fine but as AB pointed out the orig. Pocket Pro's are pretty much the standard for big matches.

The CED's have a nice piercing beep but that is about the only thing I like about them. PACT makes some cadillac timers but are significantly more expensive.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

While the original CE pocket pro is excellent (I have 2 myself). The pocket pro 2 is nowhere as good. The timer that AB is refering to is a pocket pro 1. The pocket pro 2 while it does more stuff does not have as good a display but the real deal breaker is the battery. While most timers use the corded hook up for the 9 volt the pocket pro 2 does it with 2 contact points. While this is cleaner for some reason the timer loses the connection with the battery from time to time which leads to reshoots. Several of the clubs here returned all the PP2's in exchange for PP1's. Maybe CE fixed the problem but i don't think so. I still do not recommend the PP2.

I think the best timer is the pact club timer 3. It's got the best shape and the best beep.

http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=32

Regarding indoor ranges most timers have adjustable sensitivity. You can dial it up to read 22lr shots, or dial it down if your indoors.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Thanks Yar, looks like I'll stick with the PP1 or the Pact3.

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i have a ced 7000 but, honestly, i don't really use it for shooting. i've used it for some reload/first shot/draw tiem drills but all dry fire.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

Get a journal going, and work on Par times with your transitions, and drills. Wittle away at the par times till they are in the "impossible" range. That is all my timer is for.

I also work on reaction time, put it on "random" and you'll be surprised how much faster you will be at match time with little/no creep.

If the only time you hear a "beep" is at a match, that's not often enough. It's less nerving when you dry fire to a random beep.

11. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

ill be able to do a lot more dryfire once i get out of my inlaws place :hs:

but i meant i dont use it for live fire.

i will start a log. thanks bro. :big grin: