What services can I stop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ACURA TL-S, Dec 30, 2002.

1. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

I wanted to know what services I can stop to take up less memory. I have 512 ddr, should I even worry about this. When my computer first starts I usually have about 315mb left.

2. z y i r o

z y i r o Guest

honestly i wouldnt fuck wiht them unless your machine starts to bog down

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

All that Norton shit... seriously - unless you have morons using your computer, you don't need a virus scanner running in the background.

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Damn, that's a lot. Could you take a screenshot of task manager and post it?

5. Dommi

Dommi Guest

umm.........
    :uh:

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

With 512 of RAM don't worry about it. I have the same ammount and with lots of apps open I have never gotten near to 500MB of usage.

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

What are you using your computer for? Unless you are attempting to run a terminal server or a citrix server, or even a domain controller with 6 dozen users, you REALLY don't need THAT much RAM!

8. Dommi

Dommi Guest

Re: Re: What services can I stop?

ram is always good in mass quantities.

me for instance, I have about the same. But I run probably 25 apps on my virtual desktops. Granted that kernel 2.4's memory management is better than 2k or xp. But it still comes in handy having that to go with...

oh and incase this hasnt been said already, Ill do it

<god>check your virtual memory</dog>

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Re: Re: Re: What services can I stop?

Oh, I realize that.

However he has 315 available, and he wants more. 315 is enough 'mass quantity' for a regular use machine.

10. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

Re: Re: What services can I stop?

I will tonight, I am downloading something on DC right now. I have 302mb with IE and DC running.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

Never gotten a virus, have over 400 Megs available. A firewall is all you need (I cheaped out and use ZoneAlarm). Seriously, you don't need it.

12. Dommi

Dommi Guest

if you dont have a virus scanner, how do you know that you dont have a virus?

13. 5Gen_Prelude

Because, I know how a computer can get infected. :uh:

14. Dommi

Dommi Guest

15. 5Gen_Prelude

Hey look, if you need a net nanny so you won't get hairy palms, then install what you want. You simply don't have the experience if you think a fulltime scanner is necessary on a private computer.

16. Dommi

Dommi Guest

hey man Im not going to tell you that you do or dont have virus's
    but, fact of the matter is that I see alot of "end users" spout the same rhetoric every single day. and 9 times out of 10 they are virused. maybe you are the exception. I dunno. but till then Im a skeptic and well...

17. 5Gen_Prelude

Well again, if you want to protect yourself from viruses its best to learn how they work. If you know how they work, you don't need software to do it for you. If I downloaded a questionable file, I would run it thru a virus package, but having it run fulltime in the background is simply a waste. This isn't rhetoric at all. For some time my company was too cheap to install AV software on the individual work stations (the server was protected of course), so I did the next best thing - told them how to avoid infecting their computer. Now we're talking about joe worker, not techno-nerds here. Twice computers were infected, both times they knew they had made the mistake as soon as they did it.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its place, at work I've lobbied for it for some time to be installed (finally happened). But for home? I just don't need a piece of software from preventing me from hurting myself - I can do that without the use of additional resources.

18. Dommi

Dommi Guest

more power to you

19. CompiledMonkey

I agree with your points 5Gen, but with how much RAM computers have today running AV software in the background doesn't affect performance that much. I practice the same precautions you mention in your posts, but I feel better knowing I have a second layer of protection, just in case.

20. 5Gen_Prelude

It's not the RAM usage that I'm concerned about. It's the performance difference.

21. CompiledMonkey

I've gone both ways and haven't noticed a difference. :dunno:

22. Dommi

Dommi Guest

if you are concerned with performance, you might want to look at what ide channel and drive you have your swap file located. Excessive thrashing on your main drive due to swap activity can cause you to lose performance, and that is directly related to the usage of ram in your system.

Also consider that the backplane between your processor and your memory modules does dictate how much traffic can pass at once. You cannot avoid that, aside from overclocking. So you cannot increase performance of ram that is not already at peak capacity through normal means.

One thing to consider, which has not already been mentioned.
    if you use Cas 3 or cas 2.5 ram, try upgrading to cas 2. That might be the extra boost you desire.

You might want to also look at your memory modules themselves, the chips have stamped on them a bunch of numbers, most are relevent to the latency that you will see using them. Most chips have low latency, but some chips will run slower due to cheaper manufacturer.

Remember, above all, a memroy module is just a silicon chip, like a processor. It is subject to the same degree of problems performance wise. You can not just choose any module to power a high end system. You have to spec your memory accordinly...

23. irichie

irichie New Member

24. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:rofl: posts like this are always followed by "holy crap, I just ran a virus check and my system's infected to hell" threads

25. 5Gen_Prelude

Try reading the whole thread next time :slap: