What services can I stop on dedicated studio computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

It's primary job is for studio recording. I have already done the typical optimizing XP tricks but I was just wondering what other don't I need? Seems like automatic updates, security center, etc. I don't need but I don't want to disable something that is a critical service.

2. mrj

mrj New Member

None of that shit has any effect whatsoever if the computer is remotely modern.

I moderate a Windows IRC channel, and I'm so sick of people asking about what services to disable
    via nlite. It's fucking pointless. Oh, you boot .002 seconds faster, sweet. Oh, your svchost.exe is 400kb
    smaller. nice.

3. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Way to be a dick head, dick head. I'm just trying to use all the system resources on it's main purpose.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

6. mrj

mrj New Member

:rofl:

Let me repeat, if your fucking system is remotely modern (dual core, good ram) you won't notice one difference.

But have a blast.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Hate to agree, but if you aren't having any problems with the machine, just leave it be...

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

3ghz, 1gb ram with another one coming.

:dunno:

Not really that good.

9. mrj

mrj New Member

What software do you use for recording/production/whatever?

That's not a bad system. I doubt you'll notice anything other than faster boots.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Cubase SX3 or Nuendo 3 as the host (depending what sort of media I'm doing) and a variety of plug-ins and VST instruments.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I built my father a machine a few years ago with a P4 3.0GHz w/Hyperthreading, 1.5GB RDR1066, and a Seagate hard drive. He runs Pro Tools LE 7 + a Digi 002 control surface, a VST-to-RTAS plugin wrapper (or vice-versa?), and about 20 plugins going at once. He's never had a stack overflow or even a non-fatal recording glitch of any sort. The only thing he has trouble with is running more than one multi-mono plugin at the same time, but he does all his recording in interlaced stereo so it doesn't make much difference.

Your system is fine for what you're running on it. You need to keep in mind that digital equipment is either sufficient or insufficient -- you can't make a computer run faster by disabling services, if it isn't bogged down to start with.

12. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

You're right, it's VST to RTAS.

He had a pretty damn nice of a rig, what was he primarily recording? At most I will have about 3-4 VST's running and about 8-10 plug-ins but then again I haven't done any heavy production. I am hoping to bump up to 4mb's of RAM by the end of the year as well as a nice firepod firewire interface and better active monitors. Running Dual screen would be nice too, so that's an option. Oh and an avalone tube pre amp/EQ/compressor would be the jam but that's 1.5k on a piece of equipment I'm not sure I feel comfortable spending.

Do you have anything your pops has recorded?

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Whoa! That site has been down for a couple of years now.

I wonder if it's still the original dude running it.

I've been going off of the saved page for the past couple of years now.

And yeah, that saves you a bunch of memory.

14. Doc Brown

He's running 1gb of memory.

Depending on the program and how many tracks he has running, he could bury the needle on 1gb.

Shutting off unnecessary services is never a bad idea.

15. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Just running the VST drumkit from hell 2 kills the 1mb of ram. I have to get what I want on the VST instrument, mix down into a high quality wave then import it back in then do my next track.

16. deusexaethera

I don't have anything he's recorded, but I can get it. He records whatever he feels like -- mostly sort of introspective instrumental songs. I'll say this much; having the digital studio has given him a great opportunity to make his music more complex and intricate.

17. deusexaethera

He COULD bury the needle with 1GB, yes, but it's unlikely. The two best things he can do are to buy more RAM and to set his Virtual Memory settings to favor the "system cache" -- this is the magic setting that tells Windows to store data in RAM instead of on the hard drive, if it has the free space to do so. You gotta have a good amount of RAM before this policy has a positive effect on all system processes, though; I wouldn't do it without 2GB at least.

18. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

That's quite the rig for just bs'ing around here and there. I am contemplating on going with PT and the interface but I'm already so comfortable using cubase/nuendo.

What plug-ins is he using? Voxengo, Waves, Nomad Factory FTW.

I wish I had a no latency. Even at 10 ms, there's such a huge change in feel through the monitors. Time to upgrade sound card.

19. deusexaethera

You're using a sound card? No wonder you have latency. Get an MBox or a Digi and that problem will go away right quick. Your latency is coming from your software having to interface with your sound drivers instead of talking directly to hardware it already knows about.

I don't remember what all he's got, but I know he has Waves, Reason Adapted, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik, the VST-to-RTAS wrapper, Xpand!, and a bunch of other stuff. He's also got some rackmount hardware processors from back in the day, a Mackie mixer board, and a nice new set of JBL self-equalizing monitors. I think he's planning ahead for retirement.

20. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I've been using the PodXT for direct recording then alot of plug-in modelers.

The only issue I am having is when I reamp, I cannot monitor and use programs such as ReValver and Amplitube through cubase. It's not that big of a deal but I do plan on getting some interface soon. Some of the m-audio and e-mu stuff looks good but I really want the PreSonus Firepod interface.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...-FireWire-Interface-with-Cubase-LE?sku=184131

A little too much for my needs though.

So think after the new interface, decent monitors, and two more Sure sm57's, a good tube pre amp is next on the list.

21. Doc Brown

I think it's fairly standard for programs to be adjustable for latency.

Hell, even my old Akai 12 track has it built in.

22. Doc Brown

The mic pre's in the Presonus Firewire interface units are the same ones used in the Pro Tools stuff.

23. deusexaethera

If I were going to build an audio computer and I couldn't afford a Digi interface, I'd get something by M-Audio. But then, I only really know ProTools all that well, so I guess I'm biased.

At any rate, I strongly recommend JBL's new monitors with the self-equalizing feature and the 8" woofers. They kick ass.

24. deusexaethera

Do you do research on this stuff on-the-spot, or something?

25. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I can change the buffer size on my sound card and virtual sound cards but still no zero latency without the loss of quality.