What results can I expect from HIIT? v. to lower bf%

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Bailey, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

I am 24 and stand at 6'0", 185lb, at around 12-15% (measured by eye). I have narrow shoulders and my body doesn't wear fat very well. Its all in my stomach area. My entire adult life I have been just a few bf% over where I can see my abs. I wanna change that.

I lift heavy with 5x5 routines and I recently switched my diet to 1700-1800 cals/day with at least 150-200g protein. This is for the purpose of cutting. In addition I am trying HIIT at the advice of this forum :rolleyes: after my workouts.

I just started so I'm only doing 5 minutes at a time. What can I expect to see from HIIT, so I know that I'm doing it right? When do I see results?

2. Drewski

Drewski New Member

if/when I do it, I typically do it on my offdays since

a)I'm already pretty beat from lifting. If I do some kind of cardio afetr lifting, its usually only 20min on a bike or treadmill and low-med intensity.
    b)the benefit of raised RMR from EPOC is already there after lifting, so I'd rather continue keep the RMR by doing HIIT the next day.

3. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

you'll overtrain in no time if you do it after lifting. when cutting I always did full body workouts 3x a week, and HIIT 3x a week on off days with great results.

4. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

So cardio and lifting while cutting isn't good on the same day?

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

they're fine.. but i wouldnt recommend HIIT as your form of cardio on the days you train.

treadmill, elliptical, something less intensive.

they're also good after a glycogen depleting weight training session.. no glycogen to burn during the cardio, so your body resorts to burning fat even more quickly..from what i've read.

6. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

Sounds good. I've put on some size :o and I wanna cut down a bit so I was gonna try Pur's diet, but I planned on maintaining close to the same routine I have now.

7. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

I recently started doing HIIT on tredmill and the track. Its awsome, ill run for 1 minute 30 then sprint for 30 seconds. Ill do that about 8 times and I feel like im going to throw up.

8. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

I would like to do it on off-days but its inconvenient to go to the gym for just 5 minute HIIT. I can do it in the street but I like to know how fast I'm going and I like to watch the clock on the machine. I'll think about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.