GUN what reloading stuff should i get?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vettefan52, Jun 19, 2007.

1. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

ive read most of the other threads, but didnt really pay that much attention to them because i didnt think i was going to. i want to reload .308 and other rifle calibers(but .308 only for now) and .40s&w pistol caliber. im not looking for speed on the .308 because they will be match ammo. the pistol caliber can be as fast as possible, they will be plinking ammo.

what press should i go with? ill get a book for the powder needed and other specs, but what press is my main concern... id like one that can handle rifle and pistol calibers. eventually ill reload either .300winmag or .338 lapua, so id like for any press to be able to reload those as well. also, i dont want to spend a fuckton of money here... cheap is good, but quality is too. so 993kgt, dont even come in here you fucking moron.

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

The Lee Classic Turret Press is good. Make sure you get the classic though, it's made of steel and not aluminum.
    http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/newitems/KempfKit.html
    It has the best priming system on the market, easily.
    I'd also recommend upgrading to the PRO Autodisk Powder Measure for an extra $10.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

That's what I'm going to get when I pick up a press and kit.

4. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

how will it do with .308? ill be loading this more then the .40... its cheaper to buy cci then deal with reloading .40 for now.

5. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

ok, tell me if this looks good. the .40 wont be as closely checked as the .308, because the .308 i want to be perfect for long range shooting. the .40 are just plinkers.

caliper http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=604242

scale
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=713372

kit:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Kempf Exclusive Reloading Kit featuring the Lee Classic Turret Press Complete Kit for 308 Win. (includes double disk kit)

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Kempf Exclusive Reloading Kit featuring the Lee Classic Turret Press Upgrade to PRO AutoDisk Powder Measure

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Kempf Exclusive Reloading Kit featuring the Lee Classic Turret Press Dies & Turret for 40S&W/10mm

also buying a lee reloading manual thats like 700 pages from midway and some brass and bullets. ill pick the powder up locally after i read up on it. probably order after i get home and make sure its what i want one more time.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

A guy from another forum has the same press and uses it for .308Win. He said that he can't get enough powder from the Pro AutoDisk on one pull. I thought that was weird... he didn't say anything else other than that.

I'm still waiting for more info... I'll keep ya posted.

7. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

For .308, I would get a neck sizing die set, and a scale for powder charges. A powder dribbler won't ever make as consistent charges as you can with a scale. The .40 is probably best left for a turret press if you just want to make a lot of them. You can get a cheap Lee press for like $50 that will do .308 just fine.

8. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Yeah, you can get the Lee Anniversary Kit for real cheap.

I forgot all about that..:o

9. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

the .308 will be measured with a scale as far as powder goes... im not going to use the powder measurer with those. honestly, i dont know if i should even load .40, i dont shoot it that often. i still have 100 rounds from when i bought the gun, that i havent shot.

also, i like this guys idea for the .308 since they will be match quality ammo

Lee Hand Press
    - Lee die set for .308 Winchester, including shell holder and powder dipper
    - Lee case lube
    - Lee powder funnel
    - Lee case trimmer and lock stud
    - Lee case length gauge for .308
    - Lee chamfer tool
    - Lee zip trim (completely optional, but I like it)
    - Lee primer pocket cleaner
    - Lee Auto-prime
    - Lee Auto-prime shell holder for .308 (#2)
    - Reloading tray to hold cases during reloading process (I used an RCBS tray. Any that will fit .308 will work)
    - Sierra .308 168gr BTHP Match bullets
    - Large rifle primers (regular, not magnum - as per directions)
    - Hogden Varget powder (chosen from powder and bullet load data in the Lee die set

10. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I'd see if I could find powder and primers local, the Hazmat fees are a PIA.

Even Walmart sells it actually, though the selection is limited.

11. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

yeah, ill buy that stuff locally. there are a few places that sell it. i kinda just copied/pasted the guys list. i also like the idea of not having to have a bench to bolt the press down to.

12. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I have some 300 winmag, 7mm remmag and .450 marlin stuff you need to buy.

I like my RCBS press, but I know that it is not the fastest for mass reloading.

13. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

what do you have in 300 winmag? any rifles? currently looking at remington 700 sendero in 300winmag

and mass reloading isnt that important to me. more concerned with the quality of the ammo vs quantity.

14. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

what do you have in 7mm?

15. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

That hand press doesn't look very enjoyable to use :o

16. 7

I didnt notice your press choice :hsugh:

seriously, buy a real bench mounted press, you're not going to enjoy full-length sizing cases on that thing.

17. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

yeah, but i dont have anywhere to bolt it down to right now... plus, im waiting to figure out if im going to buy a new rifle or if my jew dad will let me use my grandpas. hes being a jackass about it. he doesnt even use it and hes bitching about me asking to use it. so if i got a good deal on a new rifle, id get it. waiting to see what goes on with that, then ill buy.

18. 7

oh, gay

19. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

thats my dad... makes fucktons of money, doesnt ever shoot his guns, but if i ask to shoot my future inheritance gun, i get bitched at... hes a prick

20. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I have RCBS dies for 300 win mag, and 7mm rem mag. The 450 marlins are hornaday.

I also have a couple hundred brass in boxes for the 300 and a few for the 7mm. I have a couple hundred bullets for the 450 too.

Oh I do have a good number of CCI large rifle magnum primers and I think that I have a couple cans of powder for those rounds that I will sell locally.

21. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

nice. guess i have to order a gun now. 3-4 weeks delivery time :wtc: payments up front too :wtc:

shoot me a price on the brass. dont think ill be able to use the dies.

22. striker754

striker754 Chillin

pro 1000 for your .40/smaller mass produced stuff
    lee classic turret for your .308/large rifle stuff

23. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

so probably just the classic, i dont really want to reload the .40 right yet. i dont shoot enough of it to warrant reloading. havent shot more then 200rds since i bought the thing.