What receiver to get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D3xt3r, Apr 23, 2006.

1. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Hi

I'm currently building a little home theater setup that I'm doing on a budget. But now I'm searching for an receiver I can hook everything up and dont have to run cables to everything and all.

For displays I have an BenQ PB7200 HDTV Beamer that has component input. And an normal Sony TV that as either SVHS oder Scart Input.

As inputs I wanna use an PC with VGA out and I will buy a new satbox and also searching for an inexpensive DVD Player.

Soundwise I'm gonna use an 5.1 system by TEUFEL with an active sub.

Has anybody some advise on what receiver I should go for thats inexpensive and just will let me run one component cable to the beamer and on svhs to the TV and has inputs for all my stuff.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

wuts ur price limit?

3. emorphien

emorphien New Member

TEUFEL?

As far as brands go H/K (Harman/Kardon) is probably my favorite but Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo all have some excellent products in the <500-1000 range. I don't know what kind of video switching (how many inputs of each) you want but check out what they have.

Without giving us a price there's no point in being more specific than that.

Regardless what speakers are you using? You'll see a bigger boost in sound quality by putting more of your budget in to your speakers than any other component.

edit: oh I haven't heard the Teufel name in a long time. The only thing of their I could find was crappy HTIB setups.

4. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Teufel is a german brand and they only sell directly from the factory so their prices are really good. They have setups for pcs starting from 200 Euro till full THX Systems for 10k Euro and more.

They won pretty much all prizes you can win over here in magazines and so on.

Pricewise I would say around 500 Euro.

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

How much did you budget for the speakers?

They seem to like THX a lot.

6. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

As its just a small room I wont get a really big or THX system. I will go with the Concept S system for around 550 Euro.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

harman kardon sucks, dont get an HK unit

yamaha
    onkyo
    denon
    marantz

are good receivers to look at

8. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Any specific models with the specs I need?

9. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Ahh you're gonna need to come up with a good reason for why H/K sucks.

But I do agree with you, should have included Marantz.

H/K
    Denon
    Yamaha
    Onkyo
    Marantz

I'll bet H/K and Marantz will be the most musical, Yamaha has traditionally had a bright sound as with Onkyo but not quite as pronounced. H/K is very conservative with their power ratings, probably the most of the bunch.

Denon is good solid equipment as well, with a nice clean look to it.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hk is so overpriced, unreliable, and their SQ isnt as good as the others

the end

ive owned one, they jack the prices on those things to horrible levels, the only good thing about them is the blue glow

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

RX-V series yamaha

not sure about others

12. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Unreliability has been a problem with some model lines but it hasn't been a real issue as of late from what I've seen.

What model did you have, what problems iwth SQ did you have? Prices are pretty much in line across the levels until the higher end stuff and SQ is fine.

I don't know what you're on about.

13. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Marantz & Arcam, Pioneer Elite, Denon

14. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

I checked around a little bit and both Yamaha and Pioneer has some nice offers. What points me towards Pioneer is that they come with and universal learning remote so I could ditch all the other remotes.

15. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Precisely.

I also enjoy the Yamaha RX-V series, great/solid receivers for the price.

:)

16. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

I'm gonna get the Pioneer SVX-916 when it comes out next week.

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hk3480

it exploded, literally

and not that much of a difference sans power than the temp sony im running

18. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

As much as I hate to agree with this, there is some truth to it. I've owned two Harman Kardon Receivers, an AVR 125 and currently own an AVR435. The AVR125 right out of the box, the left front channel didn't work so I had to exhange it for a new one. After owning that for a few years, I sold it and bought an AVR430 for the 7.1 capability. One year after owning that, it just "died." It woudln't turn on anymore. HK sent me an AVR435 since the 430 was discontinued by then.

The only reason I was buying HK products was that I worked at Circuit City, and got them through employee accomidations. I paid under $500 for the AVR430 when CC was selling it for $999. As far as Harman Kardon only jacking up prices, all home audio companies that sell products at retail stores like CC and Best Buy rip consumers off, no matter what the brand.

As shitty as HK's reliability is, I still enjoy their sound quality. I believe that sound quality is more defined by the quality of the speakers, than by the receiver. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the brands listed in this thread.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

online though with mack warranties u can get killer deals on onkyo/yamaha