GUN What purpose is there for a shotgun besides game?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Jun 3, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

:dunno:

Rifles are probably better for HD situations.

2. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Home defense, breaching doors

3. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

ntrly, I'd rather have a shotgun indoors to prevent over penetration.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Over penetration of what? :ugh:

5. Dumbstixlars

Don't :ugh: me, you know 5.56 can go through several walls.

Oooooh, ninja edit.

6. Stump

Stump Member

Over penetration of walls! You don't need to shoot through your wall, the neighbor's wall, and the neighbor!

7. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

It is fun to obliterate things with slugs.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Stopping vehicles (slugs), breeching doors (slugs or buckshot), moving targets are close and medium range (shoots a pattern with bird or buck shot), versitile weapon in that it can fire different ammo (bird, shot, slugs) and can be topped off during lulls in a gunfight while maintaining readyness to fire.

Your choice for a home defense weapon should be based on your threats, Your enviroment, and your proficiency with said weapon. A apartment dweller in Los Angles is worred about two legged bad guys, and a guy living on a ranch in montana is worried about 4 legged critters (Bear, Big Cat, Etc). So while one may chose a pistol, the other may need a shotgun or rifle.

While a good shoot is a good shoot you will make any legal battles infinately easier if you use a "appropriate weapon". So liability in a civil court maybe a concern in non "stand your ground" states.

Granted if I knew beyond a doubt that I was going to be in a gun fight I would chose a rifle with 6 buddies also with rifles.

9. johnson

johnson New Member

They fragment better than pistol rounds.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If you think rifles have to over penetrate you need to read more because you're dumb. This horse has been beaten to death, the earth isn't flat, geocentric views of the universe were wrong, and evolution is accepted scientific fact. Accept these things and move on.

Use whichever you shoot best. Shot for shot a 12ga with 00 buck will do more damage than 5.56. The 5.56 is probably in an autoloader, low recoil, and has 28-30 shots left in the magazine. Its all up to you.

11. Dumbstixlars

Well yeah, it just depends. But you mentioned rifles, not pistols. In my house a 5.56 will be fine (no kids in there rooms to worry about). I'd grab my 870 first (loaded with 000), just for the simple fact I'd rather have my $250 remmy 870 in an evidence room after the shooting instead of one of my $700-800 rifles.

12. johnson

johnson New Member

Im trying to find some reading where .223/5.56 goes through less walls than #00 Buck.

13. Dumbstixlars

Guess it doesn't matter. :dunno:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot14.htm

Of course I have no idea how far the buckshot will go after it makes contact with a BG as opposed to 5.56, we can only speculate until one of us gets into a gun fight in our house (which I hope never happens).

14. johnson

johnson New Member

Well he used M193 instead of something like TAP.

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

low light, half asleep I'd rather rely on some .00 then 5.56 or 7.62. Plus the closest thing I probably have to home defense rifle rounds is wolf sp's :o

plus I learned on arfcom merely racking my mossberg will cause any intruders to crap themselves and run away screaming.

16. johnson

johnson New Member

Aint that the truth. I was in the gun store the other day and racked a shotgun and the place smelled like shit seconds later.

17. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I use my Mosin personally. If I miss, the fireball will have a flashbang like effect and incapacitate the BG...and most likely myself, but I wear sunglasses at night. Good thing is, there is no overpenitration worries with my M38. :cool:

18. Dumbstixlars

19. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I'm surprised no one mentioned that yet, sometime I take mine out of the safe and rack it so I can watch men, women, and children run from my house.

20. I don't know how this turned into a discussion of 5.56's ability to penetrate walls. The point is that a 12ga shell with 00 is going to give less penetration of walls and the like than an average rifle round. As to the "well, I've got 30 rounds" argument for something like an AR. If you really need 30 rounds of rifle ammunition in a home defense situation you're either shooting at something that just wasn't meant to die, or you're spraying bullets all around your house. Another factor is this; I'd rather leave my $300 Mossberg out of my safe ready to go than leave my $1500 AR sitting around.

21. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

How about the whole less-lethal aspect of shotguns with rubber or bean-bag rounds, or even the new stun gun rounds?

22. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

The reason the 12ga is better at HD than an AR is because it has a proven 1 shot stop percentage higher than 5.56. Granted, both are going to make the bad guy very unhappy, the 12ga loaded with 00buck or something similar is going to provide a quicker means of incapacitation versus a single or double shot of 5.56.

23. Dumbstixlars

Don't bring that in here, if you need to pull out a weapon, make sure it will put the bad guy down, not just piss him off.

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Whats average mean? The wrong round? Plinking ammo? Why would you even think of making the comparison with the wrong bullets? If you're going to put the wrong ammo in the rifle shouldn't we compare the shotgun with some sabot round or something? You don't talk about handgun performance with ball ammo do you?

Proven in what? The beyond flawed M&S work? One stop shot numbers are rubbish.

25. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Why shouldn't I bring that in here? This is a thread about other purposes for a shotgun isnt it? Sometimes cops/prison guards need to deter people without getting right up next to them or resorting to killing them.