What programm for construction plan?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D3xt3r, Mar 5, 2003.

1. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Hi

I want to design my own PC Case and Ive got some nice ideas how I want it. A friend of mine would build it for me at his work where hes got all the tools.

And now Im searching for a simple programm which lets me create a nice construction plan with the right sizes usw. a 3D sight would be also very helpfull so that I can plan Fan positions usw.

Some years ago I worked with Autocad13 but Ive tried Autocad2002 two days ago and its just too much oft it for what I need. I just want some straight edges and a little curve in the front bezel nothing fancy.

2. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Solidworks?

3. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Is it easy to use?

I just cant stand a 20 hour work in period just to do a simple case...

4. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

I find it pretty easy to use, but you have to know what you're doing. It is a professional solution, so it's powerful and probably does have features you don't need.

5. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

For designing non archietctural stuff MasterCAM blows ACADvX out of the water. ProE is supposed to be pretty good too.

Ooooooohhh a billet PC case :drool:

JK

6. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

The case will be build out of brushed aluminium and the inside will be completly sounddamped with just one fan.

Ok so what should I look into?

MasterCAM or Solidworks?

7. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

I don't know if you can get a freeware version of Solidworks, but I KNOW there's no such thing for MasterCAM. And MC uses a hardware key.

JK

8. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

I will try Solidworks now I hope I can get into it :) If it works I will post some pics of the case.

9. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Its not so easy I hope I get it done the way I want it.

If not any of you guys interested in making the basic design? I will pay you or provide you with something other.

10. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Im still at researching all the dimensions but Ive got an basic idea of what I want. This Case is going to be very small and portabel. Just for playing Divx usw. at a friends house and so on and as fileserver for LanPartys.

11. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

I think I will be going for the Apple G4 Cube Style in brushed alu with a nice blue lcd at the front ;)

You dont want to see sketches Ive done in Paint :) Trust me :)

12. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Sure but Ive got some spare things I want to use and I dont like the idea of spending money ;)

Ive got a normal ATX Mobo with a Duron 700 usw I want to use.

For cooling I will do an Airflow canal with 1 or 2 Papst low noice fans and just a CPU Cooler and no fan. I will do an basic sketch now wait.

13. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

[​IMG]

This is the basic layout.

The inner case has no contact to the outercase it will be located on sound damping so no vibrations can get to the case. The inner case just "drops" in the outer case and will be secured with 2 fast release closings like on CD hardcases.

14. D3xt3r

D3xt3r Snoerk

Thank you very much :)

Im still trying to install Solidworks but the Install crashes everytime with an VB Error :(