GUN What President Obama can do to reduce Gun Violence

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Nov 11, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posted November 10, 2008 | 04:48 PM (EST)
    What President Obama can do to reduce Gun Violence
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-rosenthal/what-president-obama-can_b_142783.html
    President Elect Obama should implement 7 tested and proven initiatives that will have an immediate impact on reducing gun related violence, accidents and suicides without affecting the Second Amendment or having any negative impact on responsible and law abiding gun owners

Of the average 34,000 gun deaths in the US every year approximately 11,000 are homicides, 18,000 are suicides and 5,000 are unintentional accidents. We can change these horrific numbers.

If I were President Obama, one of my first acts would be the immediate implementation the following gun violence prevention initiatives to reduce gun access by children, criminals and terrorists without any undue restrictions on responsible gun owners like myself.

#1 Mandatory criminal background checks for all gun sales

Current Federal law only requires Licensed gun dealers to perform criminal background checks. Consequently in 32 States "private dealers"/individuals can legally sell guns at thousands of annual gun shows, countless flea markets and yard sales, and out of homes, backpacks, car trunks or on street corners without running a background check or asking to see an ID. Only the first gun sale from a "Federally Licensed" gun dealer requires documentation and all "secondary" gun sales are legally allowed to take place without any paperwork or record keeping. As a result, convicted felons and suspected terrorists can and do buy guns simply because there is no background check required or conducted.

#2 Require responsible and safe gun storage for all firearms unless they are in the owners direct control

Approximately 40% of American homes have at least one firearm. Most guns used in child accidental gun injuries and deaths and teenage suicides come from within the home. Responsible guns owners safely secure their guns -unloaded and locked unless they are in their direct control. Seventeen States have such a safe-storage/Child Access Prevention requirement and all such states have a lower incidence of gun injuries and deaths among children compared to states without such a requirement.

#3 Allow Law Enforcement to maintain and share critical "crime-gun" trace data

Current Federal law prohibits the BATF from sharing crime gun trace data even among law enforcement agencies. In 2000 the BATF used crime-gun trace data to determine that just 1% of licensed gun dealers provided 57% of guns used in crime. Instead of supporting law enforcement efforts to identify and arrest illegal gun dealers, the Bush administration made police the enemy of "gun rights", requiring prison sentences for any police official that shares crime-gun trace data with even other law enforcement.

#4 Restore and improve the Federal Ban on Assault Weapons

The 10 year Federal ban on 19 specific military style assault weapons beginning in 1994 was supported by every major US law enforcement organization representing over 450,000 police officers. Although so called assault weapons make up approximately 1% of the US gun stock, statistics clearly show that they are the weapon of choice by gangs, career criminals and terrorist organizations and disproportionately show up in crimes. The Bush administration let the ban expire in 2004 even though the ban resulted in a dramatic 66% reduction in these weapons used in crime over the 10 year period.

#5 Repeal the Federal law giving Immunity to the gun industry

In 2007 Congress and the Bush administration enacted legislation prohibiting the ability to sue the gun industry even for negligence and blatantly marketing to criminals. For instance, the Tech 9 semi-automatic pistol, one of the guns used at the Columbine High School massacre, was marketed as "having a finish resistant to fingerprints", the Hertzel 22 cal handgun is marketed as "capable of penetrating 48 layers of soft body armor" and the Barrett 50 cal sniper rifle with a 2 mile range and designed to penetrate steel, is touted as being able to "take down an aircraft with one shot" and they tell you where to put it. Osama bin Laden bought a dozen of these US made Barrett's when fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan! The gun industry makes, markets and sells inherently dangerous product (like automobiles, knives and drugs- all regulated) and they should be held accountable for their actions.

#6 Enact National Consumer Product Safety Commission regulations for firearms

Congress has prohibited the National Consumer Product Safety Commission from oversight of the gun industry. Therefore guns have NO consumer safety, manufacturing or marketing standards for how they are sold. Consequently toy guns and teddy bears have more regulations on how they're made than real guns that result in an average of 34,000 deaths a year in the US. The gun industry flaunts their "freedom" from regulation and continues to make and sell guns without minimal safety features and in some cases knowingly market their deadly products directly to criminals and terrorists without any accountability. Massachusetts, which is home to Smith and Wesson, the nation's largest handgun manufacturer, enacted the first in the nation Consumer Protection regulations for firearms and such oversight had no negative impacts on legitimate gun makers, dealers or buyers in the State.

#7 Create incentives for the gun industry to make "personalized guns"

According to gun maker Smith and Wesson, guns could be made with personal recognition technology such that only the intended user could fire the gun. This practical technological solution would save the lives of countless victims of gun violence, accidents and suicides each year. It could also help save the lives of the 17% of police officers killed in the line of duty by a criminal accessing the officer's gun. In fact, in an agreement with the Clinton administration, Smith and Wesson promised to invest a portion of net profits into "personalized gun technology".

If President Obama and Congress were to enact just these 7 national gun violence prevention initiates, the 34,000 annual gun deaths and 80,000 injuries would be reduced to a fraction without any undue hardship on responsible gun owners like myself. I'm hopeful. President-Elect Obama knows all too well that 70-80 percent of the 80 or more gun deaths every day in the US are non-white, urban Americans. He also knows that an overwhelming majority of Americans, including gun owners and law enforcement officers, support criminal background checks for all gun sales, the Ban on assault weapons and responsible safety standards and regulations for gun makers, dealers and owners that do not infringe upon Second Amendment rights.

Now all that is needed is a loud public outcry and the political will for sensible and responsible domestic gun policy.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:
    Someone should stab this asshole

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

all of those have a negative impact on responsible and law abiding gun owners

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: what, all of 2% of crime nationwide?

4. Fixed

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

and the democratic congress never wrote another one :hsughno: i wonder why

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Ugh... a ban on "assault weapons" is so ignorant. Anytime someone mentions that IRL, I stop listening.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I have to admit though, I do agree with number 1. I dont know how much it would end up helping, but even though I'm very much for gun ownership, I am also very much for keeping them out of hands of the bad guys and the fact that gun shows and FTF sales are allowed in so many places doesnt sit well even with me. There really is no reason other than just being stubborn for the NRA or anyone to keep insisting on not closing this "loophole."

As for the rest, he's a fucktard and it makes no sense. His stat about the AWB reducing the use in crime 66% is totally misleading. Not even sure where he got it as there are plenty of stats out there showing that it did nothing and the fact that the political police chiefs/departments "support" the AWB does not reflect on the thoughts of the 450,000 officers it says support it.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I wish I could be a "journalist" and just make shit up and be paid for it.

I wonder what ass those numbers were pulled out of. In 2007 2 police officers were killed with their own weapons (0 in 2006), and 55 officers were killed with handguns total. How is that 17%?

Is it really logical to think that someone who is going to be putting a gun in someones face and maybe pulling the triger will acquire his gun through otherwise somewhat lawful ways? Do you really think that a someone who plans to murder someone will have a gun kept out of their hands by such a law? If its not going to keep them from getting a gun, whats the point? Personally I don't think I need to have a private sale of my property treated as anything but and I don't want to pay $30 everytime I buy a gun from a buddy.

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

he should kill himself with his own gun

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Yeah, a law in place will really keep criminals from buying guns from criminals.

Yeah :cool:

11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Of the average 34,000 gun deaths in the US every year approximately 11,000 are homicides, 18,000 are suicides and 5,000 are unintentional accidents. We can change these horrific numbers.

:hsugh:

12. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

this guy needs a 10 round cali friendly magazine to the face

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

of the 11,000 homocides, how many are drug crimes

14. I read some crime stats once where it said the majority of killings were perpetrated against people with previous criminal records, by people with previous criminal records. Not many law-abiding citizens go out and kill other law-abiding citizens.

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you do understand that the "loophole" isnt a loophole, right?

16. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

:rofl: apparently not

17. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

The Lightworker (I refuse to call him the p-word), can kiss the blackest part of my WASR.

18. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I wish someone would close the used car loophole so we can stop illegals from doing hit and runs. :run:

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

in California its $25 DROS + $10. and the $10 is legally capped or something

20. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

We should just permanently close the violent criminal "loophole", amirite?

21. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thats why its in quotes, I'm reusing the lingo that the anti's use.

You guys can say what you want, I just think that is the one reasonable thing that could be applied to possibly help.

I realize criminals will get guns no matter what, however, with the current setup, they dont really need to. They can go to a gun store or come to you with a FTF sale and pick it up without you ever knowing.

Its not about whether it will stop it, its about doing something that is not unreasonable the help the problem as much as we can.

I realize you dont want to pay $30 every time you want to buy a gun from your buddy, but I just dont see this as being an unreasonable thing.

With that way of thinking, why bother having checks at all, even from gun stores? Why bother EVER checking up on anyone? Let everyone buy guns whenever they want from anywhere?

As it is, they just go from the stores to the used FTF sales. The fact that its available to them negates any reason to have any kind of check at all.

Do you guy realize how many people are turned away daily due to background checks? When those people cant get a gun from a store, they just go by yours FTF.

To me its perfectly reasonable to have everyone checked on any legal sale. Dont hate me for it.:wtc:

22. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:ugh:

there is no loophole. the "gun show loophole" that the ignorant libtards refer to is teh ability to privately sell a firearm from your private collection without going through an ffl.

you think that's a problem?

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Actually, I can imagine it as we have to do it in the state of MD. And we DO NOT have to have an FFL involved. We both can go to a state police barracks, they do the background check on the person buying and we complete the sale. Not a big deal. And as a matter of fact, its also a good thing for the seller because now if that person does do anything illegal with it, there is the chain of paperwork and responsibility on the police rather than me. They dont come knocking on my door if they find the gun and trace the serial number back to me.

Its not as big deal as you guys make it out to be.

24. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I guess reading comprehension owns you as the "loophole" was explained right above your post.

And technically, if you guys really understood the meaning of the word loophole, you'd know that it actually IS a loophole.

Its a loophole in the need for a background check on gun sales. The fact you can buy privately without having to have the background check is, by definition, a loophole in the process of doing background checks.

Definition: an ambiguity or omission in the text through which the intent of a statute, contract, or obligation may be evaded

The intent of the background check statute is to make sure people that should not be buying guns arent buying them.

Therefore, if there is a way to buy them legally without the check, that is a loophole by which the check can be evaded.

I used the term in quotes cause that is what the libs use and I was just using their wording. I realize its still legal, but by definition, it is a legal loophole by which you can evade a background check.

Basic grammar guys.

25. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i have to admit, i think these antis put out a lot more propaganda than pro-gun sides do. if it were a popularity vote based on emotions and how easily people recognize ads we wouldnt stand a chance. we need to step it up if we hope to stand a chance in this fight