what (possibly obscure) security software do you use? looking for new things

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Nov 9, 2005.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

ive become really interested it network and computer security, and was wondering what people that have been in the business for a while use. im looking for firewalls, virus removal and blocking, malware removal and blocking, etc.

ive not pirated any of my secuirty software apps. kinda defeats the purpose methinks. heres what im using

zonealarm pro (with the "triple layer" firewall)
    nod32
    microsoft antispyware beta (with all the security agents running)
    spybot s&d
    ad-aware se
    the hosts file from hostsfile.mine.nu and edexter
    firefox/adblock/filterset.g

im using kee-pass for password management
    ive downloaded core force and truecrypt, but haven't used either

im not running anything for network security other than the linksys router. wep, no broadcast, mac filtering. im considering setting up a dmz or something similar. recommendations for that or anything else?

keep in mind that im not paranoid, i just want to learn more about security and security software as that is the field im heading into when i graduate this semester

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

you're doing fine. for laptops we are implementing pc guardian + disk for encrypting laptops and cables for physical security. the personal firewalls are okay for informing you that an app is trying to connect out from your system, but they don't provide the protection of a stateful firewall.

if you want something better, consider an iptables box between your network and the internet. or a transparent firewall on openbsd - either are excellent.

3. an0nymous

an0nymous Anon E. Mouse

4. 01000101

01000101 New Member

col_panic, do you have links for good info on those, or should i www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

an0nymous, what are you suggesting i encrypt?

ive also stumbled across these things for laptop security

http://www.stuffbak.com/stuffBakAdmin/whatIsStuffBak.aspx

StuffBak is a loss protection service that helps you get back your missing possessions. Just place our unique ID labels and tags on all your important gear. Then if something "disappears", the label tells the finder how to return it easily, and get a reward, too.

http://www.stoptheft.com/site/products_security_plate.php

STOP's patented, permanent bar coded security plate actively deters theft at the source as well as eliminates the reason for most theft: resale value.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator