What PC pads to use, for what application?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by CyberEye, Oct 12, 2005.

1. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

I'm a noob at the whole PC thing, and need to order some pads. I'm looking to order them from carcaresmart.ca since their canadian and will save on shipping/exchange and duty and whatnot.

This is the kit I'm looking at: http://www.carcaresmart.com/page/C/PROD/_MPA/CCS00501

Will this be sufficient for what I need? And what pad do I use for what product?

I'm using:

PoorBoys polish w/Carnuba
    PoorBoys EXP sealant
    #16 wax

Thanks.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Not familiar with those pads, but a simple guideline would be to use polishing pads with products called polishes or glazes with some cutting ability, be it chemical or abrasive, cutting pads with compounds and finishing pads with LSPs. I apply products like Vanilla Moose and Klasse AIO with a polishing pad. Optimum polishing with a cutting pad for deeper defects and a polishing pad for general polishing.

3. CyberEye

hrmm, anywhere else in canada that you can think of that sells good pads?

Edit: eshine.ca has Lake Country Pads, they're kit is a bit cheaper then carcaresmarts kit as well. I think I might go with them, and order a bottle of Optimum Polish while I'm at it,to use instead of the poorboys w/carnuba, see if it can't get rid of some of the scratches and swirl marks.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  4. CyberEye

are there any articles or write ups on using a PC? I quite honestly have no idea about technique and speed, and what size pads and whatnot

5. Scottwax

Check on http://autopia.org and click the 'learn' button. One thing they have wrong is using the weight of the machine to polish out defect. Lots of luck if you do that. Apply enough pressure to slightly bog the PC, then back of slowly until it picks back up again and use that pressure. In addition, when removing defects, use several slow passes (about 1/2 to 1" per second) with the speed on 5 or 6.

6. CyberEye

Allright.
    I ordered a kit from eshine.ca that has: 5" backing plate, 6.5" black finishing pad, 6.5" orange cutting pad, 6.5" white polishing pad. All Lake Country stuff.

I'm pretty certain to use the orange cutting pad with my polish to get rid of scratches/swirl marks etc. Just not sure which pad to use for my sealant and wax applications.
    Also, should I remove the product and do a final buff by hand with microfiber towels, or get some microfiber bonnets for the pc?

7. Scottwax

Use finishing pads to apply LSPs. Either microfiber towels or bonnets work great. Whatever is easier for you.

8. CyberEye

So should I use the orange cutting pad for polish (since it will be for removing swirls and scratches) and the white polishing pad for sealant? or the other way around?

9. Scottwax

Why would you use a cutting pad to apply a sealant? Cutting or polishing for paint prep, finishing for waxing/sealing.