GUN What next?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by idleprocess, Dec 7, 2006.

1. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I purchased a Glock 17 several weeks ago. I'm comfortable with it and improving.

I'd like to buy a new firearm (or several), but I'm undecided on what I should be looking for. I'd like to get a .357MAG revolver someday, a shotgun, and an AR and/or AK-47, and possibly a 22 rifle for plinking and cheaper shooting at the range.

Any tips on what to look for or what to avoid?

After shooting my father's Ruger Single-Six a few times, I've decided I like revolvers, but not the tedius and slow unloading/reloading of the Ruger. 22LR/22WMR isn't a very good round for much more than plinking or hunting grouse in the Boundary Waters (the Ruger's primary real-world use). 357MAG seems to allow for a wide variety of rounds (all .38SP variants up to however punishing you want to go with .357MAG). Ruger seems to have some decent models. I'm not really looking for a carry weapon, so a snubbie or super-compact frame isn't what I'm looking for, but I don't want a hand cannon either; a 3" or 4" barrell ought suffice.

I was considering a Saiga-12, but now I'm not so excited about it. The cost of a converted weapon seems to be around $800 from local gun shops and I'm not so sure about converting a "sporterized" version myself. A pump-action gun with a decent magazine capacity ought do it if I need to dissuade an intruder and there's always the possibility that I could convert it for hunting with a migratory bird plug.

That said, I still like the Saiga-12 for some reason.

A friend is buying an AR-15. They're spendy. The AKs available locally seem to be Century Arms or WASR - which don't seem to be held in very high regard. Be nice to have one or the other, although I understand that accuracy is not a strong point for most AKs.

I imagine I'll get a 10/22 for that plinking rifle. I hear they're fun to shoot, decently accurate, and easily customizable.

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I'd pick up a 10/22 next. Everyone should have at least one. After that look at what you want to shoot next, either rifle of some sort be it a hunting/longer range rifle or an AR/AK or perhaps a shotty.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can convert the SAIGA12 yourself if your handy with tools, someone on here recently did it Sickmonkey I think.

The CAI AK's aren't the highest quality but they generally work ok other then sometimes needing some trigger work. 7.62 AK's are usually good for hitting your target out to 300 or so yards, 400 for 5.45 and 5.56.

I would consider getting the ak,saiga or ar before 10/22 or .357 never know when the newly elected democrats will try to push through another AWB.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

That's sort of been my thinking lately, although it will probably be mid to late 2007 before that shit starts to roll downhill if it happens at all.