SRS What needs to be done when a wife/husband dies?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pizza The Hutt, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Pizza The Hutt

Pizza The Hutt OT Supporter

My father died on October 29th, and my mom is having a tough time getting started on tieing the loose ends left behind. I'm trying to gather information on what all needs to be done (who to contact, etc) in order to make this as easy as possible on my mom.

Anyone have any experience or know of any resources/websites that could explain who to contact in regards to stuff like this? We've gone through the initial shock and notification of famliy and friends. I'd just like some information to help my mother get started on adding closure to the whole situation by transferring titles, closing accounts, and dealing with the will.

Would an estate lawyer take care of most of this?

Any help/links are appreciated.

Thanks

2. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I am sorry about your loss. Dealing with the lose ends is time consuming and certainly does not bring joy to many people. A lawyer can help but for most things you don't need one. Everyone is going to ask for a copy of the death certificate so make sure you have quite a few on hand (we needed close to 20 with my father).

It varies by jurisdiction, but the major ones are as follows:

Banks
    Social Security
    Insurance Company (car, home and life)
    DMV
    Health Insurance Co. (including extended benefits plan through employer)
    Debtors (credit card, loans, mortgage etc.)
    Anywhere he had a membership (gym, club etc.)

You will need a lawyer to transfer title on property, while you can probably do it yourself, best to use a lawyer to make sure it is done properly.

3. Teh_Sponge

Teh_Sponge Hey, I got a sub now...

Also, make sure to transfer other monthly expenses to your mom's name (internet, phone, TV, etc).

My mom died in May and we have everything transferred over but people still call about her. :hs: You will need a lot of copies of the death certificate.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

:hug: Big hug.

Basically , if not already you need to try to be a big support for your mom.The first period is the most difficult ,because everything will remind her back of your dad. She herself has got to take time and finally come to the point where she starts to gather your dads clothes and hopefully instead of throwing them away its maby the best thing to give them away to some charity organisation like the salvation army or something like that ,if she likes that idea that is.

As you most likely have experienced there's a gap left behind, what's important is that your mom doesn't stay alone at home starting to get all lonely , therefore if i where you i would advice/motivate her to join a womans club ,where she can talk about her experiences, or that goes on 'group' experiences and days out, like a day of cycling, so she won't stay alone at home all day. You may not have experienced it, but the walls come at and towards you(figurally speaking) if your alone at home. So prevent that your mom falls in isolation, physically and emotionally thats very important. I don't know if you still live with your mom, if not call her regulary for at least the first 3 months to ask how she is doing. Financially if you can you must protect her, because she is in a emotional state, you have to be warned that there are people 'out there' who are willing to abuse that for financial reasons. You must guide your mother,and be with her and re-read all the decisions on paper that the lawyer makes.