What musclecars are the cheapest to own/maintain?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Kerpal, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I'm thinking of buying an older car (i.e. pre '72) as there seems to be a lot of good deals in my area. I'd want to get it to the mechanical condition where I could trust it on cross-state trips. Ideally I'd use it as a daily driver too, but I'd have to see how much I end up spending on gas. I have backup transportation but I want to get as much use out of it as possible.

My main concern is having inexpensive parts avalible when I do need to replace stuff, so anything rare is out of the question. I was thinking a mid 60's Chevelle or Impala with an SBC since they seem to be pretty common cars. Any opinions?

Supposing I find something with a solid longblock (luckily I see a lot of cars with freshly rebuilt motors), what's an inexpensive way to convert a carbed SBC to fuel injection with a good mix of performance and economy? Will late '80's-mid '90's Vette and Camaro manifolds bold up to older small block heads, or would I need the later heads too? Seems a junkyard setup would be the way to go, most aftermarket EFI systems are $$$...

2. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Uh, american v8's will last forever if you keep oil in them.

3. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

Aftermarket and resto support with Chevelle's and Nova's is huge. Impala's maybe a little less. Still tons of parts and stuff out there. Stay away from wagons IMO. Even though they are more unique and are the current craze, you'll run into tons of hard to find items that nobody reproduces.
    Trust me, I've had a 1965 Nova wagon for 14 years.
    You can add tuned port injection onto any early to late model SBC. Like off the Corvette's.

I'd look into 1968-72 Nova Chevy II's also. They can be had cheaper than Chevelle's or Impala's. Easy to swap 6 cylinder to V8 too....well, all of them are easy swaps.

4. Kriz

Kriz Active Member

Most common Chevys or Ford with be semi affordable to keep running. If gas milage is a concern theres always the option of a fuel injection or over drive swap.

5. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

If you want something that is a little bit more economic and will run forever, take a look at anything from Dodge that has there Slant 6 in it. They will run forever and there are more performance parts for them then you would imagine. Look into an older Dart or something like that.

6. Konowl

Konowl New Member

300km's to a 60L tank? Ugh... I was thinking about getting one, but that's rough.

7. Placenta Pasta

Placenta Pasta rb25det powered

Try get one with a 4 speed to help keep the fuel bills down