What musclecar for an inexpensive daily driver?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Kerpal, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I've gotten addicted to how a RWD V8 car drives after buying my Crown Vic... but I have no need for a huge sedan and I've always wanted a musclecar anyway. I'm wondering if it would be feasable to have one as my daily driver and only car right now on a limited budget. I don't want to spend more than $6k initially to get a driveable, fairly reliable car. I expect there to be maintenence costs, but don't want to do major work (unless the total initial cost still falls under $6k). I'm pretty confident about doing most repairs and maintenance myself. I don't mind buying something stock (or not) and with primer/faded paint as long as the body is mostly good and it runs well, I figure I can make improvments as I drive it if I want to spend extra money.

You guys think that's possible? What cars are a good value & easy/cheap to find parts for? I want something pre-'72, 2 doors, V8, 4 speed... I'm thinking a Chevy II with a smallblock would be nice but I have no idea what they go for. I really love the pre-'70 Chevelles, first Gen Camaros and Mustangs, but I'm guessing those cars are going to be a lot more expensive. :dunno:

If I can't find something decent I'll have to settle for a 5.0L foxbody... but I don't really want another dime-a-dozen 'modern' car. :hs:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  2. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

You'd have to be very lucky to find a clean good running V8 Chevelle or Nova for 6K. You could find a clean good running car for a little over 6K but it would probably be a V6. A V8 for that price would certainly need some work interior, body or both.

3. PeteRR

PeteRR Guest

If you look, you can still find early '70s a-bodies(darts, valiants) for cheap. Usually they'll have a /6 or 318 as a power plant, but for a daily driver you don't want to go too crazy. Plus, you could always build a stroker sb or even a BB later and shoehorn it in.

Pete.

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I'd find a clean 3rd gen. Camaro IROC or Z/28. :o

5. shanker

shanker unemployed

very smart man...Youde prolly like a Duster or Demon too

6. SoD

SoD New Member

FoxBody cobra or 3rd gen Camaro

7. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

good choice I've owned an IROC, I LOVED that car...I'd go 5.0Stang, 87-92 IROC/Z28 with the L98 or 93+ F body.

edit: for 6k, and you don't wnat something thatsa dime a dozen, go IROC or 91/92 Z28...make sure you get an L98 car.

8. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Whats the difference between the IROC and the regular Z28?

I don't really like the styling of the 3rd gen f-bodies, but if its fun to drive that's all I really care about. How do the 3rd gens handle?

9. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

I had an 87 IROC and it's probably still my favorite car of all that I've owned. The difference between the two is The IROC-Z was added to a Z28 to get an IROC. The IROC-Z had lower ride height than a Z28 and featured performance-calibrated front struts and springs. The IROC-Z came with Bilstein rear shocks and 16 inch aluminum wheels. The IROC-Z standard tire size is 245/50/16 which is larger and lower than the Z28 tire for the same year. The IROC-Z, because of the suspension enhancements, produced skid pad numbers of around .89 to .92. The 3rd gens handle great and there are many suspension parts available from Hotchkis and Edelbrock to make it even better.

10. Los

Los Active Member

Fuck a turd gen.

get a 79-93 GT. Best bang for the buck.

11. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

+1 The Mopar A-bodies are light, cheap, and tons were made.
    Dodge Dart/Demon/Swinger and
    Plymouth Valiant/Duster/Scamp (sedan/fastback/coupe).

Find a pre-73 with either the 318, 340, or 360ci engines.

My first car was a 74 Plymouth Scamp w/ the 225ci Slant-6.
    $1200 with 49k original miles.

[​IMG]

12. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Duster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. TriShield

Late 60s, early 70s Chevrolet Chevelle, Nova, Buick Skylark, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Pontiac Le Mans.

Most muscle cars were based on lesser cars that also offered the same engines or engines that were strong in their own right, they usually go pretty cheap.

14. TriShield

Better than any of the old muscle cars. :o

15. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

kerpal when it comes to handling its hard to beat a third gen...guy earlier mentioned skidpad numbers from .89 to .92, I've seen them as high as .96 for IROCZ cars....most typicall though are around .90 to .92...the Z28 after 90 was very VERY similar to the IROC in performance...and they look realllllllly good...pre 90 Z28 I wouldn't even consider, I'd go IROCZ all the way for the performance differences...

*warning, the IROCZ suspension and 91/92Z suspensions are very VERY FIRM...the ride is very rough but good gosh they handle well...my 95 TA felt like I was right on air compared with my IROC...the IROC was the most well planted best feeling car for a factory autocrosser I've driven that you can get into for less than 10k....zo6 vette feels better, but the standard c5 doesn't even feel as good as the IROC on the autocross track in my opinion

16. I've got a '73 duster with brand new drivetrain for sale right around that price. slightly built 360 block...etc. PM for details/pics.

17. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

If you're not sticking to the pre-'72, consider an 89-93 Thunderbird Super Coupe. V6 but supercharged, stick shift, RWD, IRS, plenty of torque. Too heavy if you're looking for a serious quarter miler (without major bucks), but a low mileage very good example of one can EASILY be had for well under $6k. Great daily driver with good MPG and plenty of room and a great hwy ride. It's like a cross between your Crown Vic and a Mustang. There are some exciting experiments coming out on these things these days.
    Otherwise, '92 Mustang notch back. I love the look of those 3rd gen Z28's/IROC's. Most aggressive looking cars GM has had in the last 30 years, IMO.

18. CarlsV6

CarlsV6 Guest

For a cheap, fun car you should be able to pick up a dart or a-body and slide a small block in.

19. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

You can find really nice 2nd gen camaros, like 71, 72, for cheap,

20. IEATPUPPIES

IEATPUPPIES Guest

first thing i tought before readeing the thread was dart/duster.

my buddy has two darts. a 74 /6 that has run forever and gets 26mpg and a 73 dart sport with a 340 transplanted into it making 450hp all motor.

good cars but dont drive them on the highway like you do new cars, they will flop all over the place taking emergency manouvers on the highway.

21. slowbird

slowbird I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is c OT Supporter

:bigthumb: If not the Super Coupe, find one with the 5.0 V8. Great potential on the motor, and pretty sharp looking.

I'd also recommend the Mercury Cougar XR7. Same car, different styling, maybe a bit more luxurious. 89-90 had the supercharged V6, 91-93 had the 5.0, 94-96 with the 4.6 SOHC. My personal pick is the 91 model. I'm planning on buying one someday, depending on how my Taurus holds up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :yum:

22. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

You can also find really nice 5.0 Fox Body Mustangs, and LT-1 CAmaros and TRans Ams for Cheap,

23. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I like those too. Here's my favorite XR7 to date:

[​IMG]

24. zatar

zatar New Member

84-88 Chevy Monte Carlo is another option, or any G-body for that matter. It's a bit slow stock, but as your project/funds become available you can install a nice small block or even a big block.

25. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

How fast is a stock XR-7?

16's