what mufflers/exhaust system should I put on the mustang?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ronin, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

1966, 289

not sure how what mufflers are going to sound like what, the louder the better as long as it sounds good pretty much (i dont want something people will loathe but i certainly want a level of presence :dunno: )

price not much of an object btw

PS my av isnt the car

2. anything that is a true chambered pipe

3. opie and anthony 102.7

opie and anthony 102.7 your mom's box

is the 289 built? if it is and has a nice lumpy idle, then i would put some one chambers on it(dynomax bullet's). If its close to stock then just put some 2 chamber flowmasters on it.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was going to build it, but changed my mind (when i think built i think atleast a full top engine assembly), and why would I want a lumpy idle, so it drives like shit 99% of the time? :ugh:

the only internal thing im doing is cams+rockers

ill go with flowmasters

5. August Burns

August Burns New Member

I believe bassani sells just mufflers now, they make a quality product.

6. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

flowmasters are they gayest and worst pieces of shit you can put on any car.

www.classicchambered.com

you won't regret it
    I promise

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm briefly looked over on that site, those look interesting thats for sure, ill look deep iinto them later and will probably e-mail them

thanks, never even heard of those

8. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Please clarify.

My 94 Camaro with mac headers, no cat, small cam and stock heads made 326 RWHP through a Flowmaster. If you know anything about cammed LT1s with stock heads, I am at the top end of the power spectrum.

Not saying that it is the best flowing muffler out there, but it is a high quality, awesome sounding, good working product. I fail to see how it meets your description.

Could you sir please explain your opinion with fact?

9. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

About 4 years ago, mine had CC306, stock heads, Hooker LT's, true duals with bullets that dumped at the axle. Before that I had a custom y-pipe, no cat, regular cat back with a Flowmaster Delta 40 series. I picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph going to true duals.

This isn't completely accurate since I did add an extra pipe back there. If he's just changing mufflers, or maybe adding a cat back; the difference in the change of power between different chambered mufflers is going to be insignifigant. That is unless he's going to a bullet, or straight through muffler.

Now I just run header mufflers because they're about 25~ pounds lighter than the true dual setup. Doesn't sound quite as good in car, out of the car you can't really tell.

10. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

A4 or M6? What did it run in the quarter. 3 MPH is nearly 30 RWHP!

Nice.

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im upgrading from stock exhaust, im looking for good sound not just performance

12. 1BadZ

A4, Vig 3200, 3.73's. Ran [email protected], with removed spare, jack, and front swaybar. It went [email protected] with stock cam, open long tubes and same weight reduction.

I noticed zero difference in times between open long tubes and true dual exhaust. Both dialed in false knock retard even with the LT4KM, but open LT's dialed in more. Since then I've deleted the knock retard sensor.

You might want to try out multiple mufflers then. I like Hooker Aero Chambers. They're a mostly straight through design, and they're quieter in car than Dynomax Bullets. They don't change the sound coming out of the exhaust much, so when I had the Dynomax's, then the Aero Chambers, they both sounded like I was running open LT's, just quieter. When I had my Flowmaster Delta 40 series, it had a real tinny sound to it, which was great for the lumpy idle.

Also, if you get headers, especially long tubes; they will dramatically change the volume, pitch, and tone of the exhaust note. Borla exhaust on stock motor and stock exhaust manifold F-bodies have a very deep and raspy tone. With LT's it turns into a high pitched screamer exhaust.

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im getting these headers:

http://www.macperformance.com/store/product1.cfm?SID=3&Product_ID=159

my local exhaust shop say they fit well on my gen mustang, hes installed them on several mustangs (first gen)

14. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

I have no big means of comparison but going from dynomax to flows was huge. 2-chamber 40's I've heard are rated the best sound muffler.

for some reason, from what I thought was a restrictive exhaust didn't give me any better time with open headers. fwiw.

Ronin, any personal reason why you're going with long tubes? I need to decide on what to go with. I was thinking since I'll be running a roller 5.0 I'd stick with the high revving screamer theme and get some shorties. What do you think?

Torque can usually be compremised with a lighter car and a 5spd.

15. 1BadZ

LT's also turn up the volume a couple notches on your exhaust by themselves. Those chambered tubes posted above will give a nice sound, but it might be too loud, depending on your tastes. Try the 40 series and see if you like it. You might have to play with your mufflers to get the sound you're looking for.

I'm a big proponet of LT headers. I've never once regretting going with them. They give a proper muscle car tone to the exhaust, even better than mid-lengths or shorties. Plus better flow for making power up top.

16. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I have Borla and like it

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

in response to posts since i havent been here:

i talked to the powerstick guy, i think ill be going with them, listened to sound clips and they seem pretty intense

this 55 chevy here has the same powersticks i was planning on getting, its powered by a 350:

http://www.classicchambered.com/sounds/55chevy.mov

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  18. matrix243

interesting. I assumed shorties were for topend gains. guess all they really serve is trans and starter access, and maybe exhaust manifold swap.

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i have a book around here on doing performance modifications that work and what each thing does and some of the included science, i forget where i put it though....

found it lolz

how to build horsepower volume 1 by david vizard

some things noted:

reducing backpressure is a good thing 999 times out of 1000 assuming ignition timing and air/fuel ratio are properly adjusted.

it goes on to say reducing backpressure in a late model car can have different effects due to computer controlled maps etc

headers can improve power by drawing additional air fuel mixture into the cylnder during overlap through two methods: inertial scavenging and resonant tuning.

it goes on to say headers/exhaust have greater effects the more your engine is modified, if everything is stock adding exhaust will have minimal effect but if you have a hot cam, heads, good 4brl carb etc then the exhaust is definately worth it.

dyno excerpt:

To measure how much headers will benefit a modified street engine, I rana test on a 350 small block equipped with an aftermarket cam, manifold, carb, and mild porting work. the engine produced 305 hp with stock exhaust manis. After installing a set of 1-5/8 inch headers, using 29 inch primaries and 3 inch collectors the same engine produced 355 horsepower, a considerable improvement of over 16%.

basically you might as well just ante up for headers that provide the best flow/scavenging

oh and i almost forgot shorties will give better high end power as long as the primaries are fat enough, the book goes on to say that for low to mid rpm range performance use longer primaries but that are smaller in diameter and its important to know that generalities arent always going to be true and the only completely sure way to find perfect exhaust for an engine set up is through trial and error

so if u want shorties, get ones with relatively fat primaries

i priorly confused shorties with manifold design, my bad

PS how many times have you seen long tube headers with larger primaries than shorties? its another important thing to remember that although in a custom situation certain specs may be optimal but companies like hooker may have conflicting designs. or perhaps the information in this book could just be conflicting with industry standards? who knows :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  20. matrix243

...and X or H pipe?
    or I should say is X worth the extra cost.

21. matrix243

...and dumped or tailpipes?

22. Ronin

Ronin Guest

h pipes, better exhaust balancing between left and right sides

23. Ronin

Ronin Guest

personal preference

24. team_jew

team_jew New Member

25. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

fact: flowmasters don't flow at all even the single chambers are still outflowed and outperformed by a true chambered muffler and the sound quality compared to them is very noticable.

fact: more flowmaster mufflers deteriorate over time vs. any other brand of muffler. There goes your high quality statement.

fact: the only thing flowmaster makes reasonably well are cheap merge collectors... :o

sorry, but Flowmasters 10 years ago vs. today is a far cry from what they used to be.

plus, their customer service has sucked for quite some time