What motor would you choose??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 92_Sentra, Sep 23, 2003.

1. 92_Sentra

92_Sentra New Member

Well I am looking over my options for a motor I want to buy for my 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R. I narrowed it down to 2 options, and was wondering what the people on this forum would choose. The first option is a SR20DET motor is from a car called a Bluebird, and the Second SR20DET is from a Pulsar GTi-R. My plans are to just get the motor tuned and run higher boost, no cams, and no turbo upgrade. Here are the stats on the motors...

The Bluebird motor has a T25 turbo, and 370cc injectors, with an 8.5:1 compression. I have seen this motor produce 264whp, and thats about all you can squeeze out of the stock motor, with higher boost. Parts for this motor are available in the USA, the parts are identical to the parts that go on the US SR20DE which SE-R's come with.

The Pulsar GTi-R motor has a T28 turbo, 444cc injectors, quad throttle-bodies from the factory, an 8.3:1 compression, individual oil squirters for the underside of the piston(bluebird does not have this) and a much stronger head and block. The bad news is the important parts that could break are not available in the USA, I would have to find a way to get them from the UK or Japan if a water pump, oil pump, powersteering pump and a few other things decided to go bad.
    I watched a SE-R with this motor Dyno at 294whp, and was still running a little rich, so could easily go over 300whp with just raising the boost.

I am really thinking about getting a Pulsar GTi-R Motor, but I am not wanting to walk into a mess with not being able to get parts for it. What would you all choose, a Bluebird SR20DET or a GTi-R SR20DET?

2. ACCORD03

ACCORD03 Guest

you should get the bluebird SR20DET, only bec its not as much money...it all depends on what you want....if you want a faster car then go for the GTi-R if not and money is the problem then go for the bluebird :)

3. RARH

RARH Guest

Droollllll T28.. i want..

Get wat you want. research both of them.. those dyno u saw where they stock cars? or upgraded?
    The motors r the same there r only about 20 hp difference btw either motor... Sr2odet is a sr20det.. not much different

4. 92_Sentra

92_Sentra New Member

between these 2 there are a lot of things that are differnet, one has a hydrolic valve train while the other is mechanical. Both the cars had Stock DET's with a boost controler, the bluebird was at 15psi and the GTi-R was at 18psi

5. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

The GTi-R DET also has quad throttle bodies compared to the Bluebird DET which has a standard throttle body.

6. 92_Sentra

92_Sentra New Member

yeah, that was mentioned in the first post, I think I will just go with a Pulsar motor

7. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

If you have the money and have big plans go for the GTi-R engine i reckon. How many of the major parts such as oil pump/water pump etc are different between the two anyway?

Are you going to do further mods once the engine is in, or is it going to stay as is?

A few people I went to school with drive GTi-R pulsars now, one runs a 12.8 stock except large front mount, the other runs a 12.0 with a few more mods, but stock turbo and slipping clutch.

Another upside of course, the GTi-R sr20 doesnt sound so agricultural and tractor like from what I have heard!

8. 92_Sentra

92_Sentra New Member

WOW, 12.8 with a front mount! Thats really REALLY impressive. I have ridden in my friends 4 door 1994 Sentra running a GTi-R motor, and the car was sick. It had the top mount intercooler still, and the boost was at 18psi, and the car ran a [email protected] No scoop or anything, it was just a hole in the hood, so the hood could close.
    I do remember the motor sounding different than other turbo sentras I have ridden in, it had a sweet sound.

I know the water pump, oil pump, powersteering pump, and distributor is different, and of course ALL internal parts. But if I break anything internally, It will be expensive and a long process to fix no matter what.

9. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Keep in mind the GTi-Rs lower weight and AWD.

10. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

Is this your only car? Might want to consider that - if this car goes down, you may be left without transportation if you can't get the parts in a hurry.

11. Turbo Tim

Turbo Tim New Member

Yeah it is more the AWD factor that is in the GTi-R's favour. This was a legit gti-r, not an engine swap into something else.

The 12 flat one isnt overly modded either, i think just front mount, exhaust (or lack of), modded computer, lots of boost. Just destroyed a gearbox of late though.

About the noise, I just seem to notice them seem a little different to a lot of the s13/14/15's getting around with exhausts which are a little odd.

12. 92_Sentra

92_Sentra New Member

yeah I did take into the factor that the Pulsar is AWD and lighter, but my friends 4 door Sentra did a 12.8 with a top mount still, so the power is still there. The only main thing that I plan on doing is Cams, if I even want to. I should be happy with just a boost controler and some good tuning.

13. overcast

overcast Guest

get the bluebird sr

14. 92_Sentra

92_Sentra New Member

why would you choose the bluebird Overcast?