What memory should I get

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crazy__mike, Jan 28, 2003.

1. crazy__mike

crazy__mike Guest

I'm the proud owner of a clone computer that was put together by some net company. So I'm not sure what type of memory I have. How can I tell what type of memory I have? I would like to get more.

Thanks

2. Camcam

Camcam J.U.N.K.E.R.

SiSoft Sandra
    It will tell you the type, how much, speeds, etc. And then go from there. When you are ready to buy, go to www.newegg.com :bigthumb:

3. crazy__mike

crazy__mike Guest

Thank you for the quick responce

4. crazy__mike

crazy__mike Guest

Okay it looks like I need some more help. I used the program SiSoft Sandra. But I'm having some problems understanding it. I did a basic search with the program and I found that my ram is RASL-0, and RASL-1 256mb DIMM SDRAM double bank.

What do I need to know to get more ram. The system I have is basically a clone computer. So any help would be greatful.

Thanks Michael

5. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

you need to know what motherboard you have(you can find this in sandra, i think they refer to it as the "system board"), then look up a manual for it, that will tell you what ram limitations you have and what kind you need to buy.

6. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Actually, by now alot of people just pop over to crucial.com to see all that. They have a great database that cross references all the makes and models telling you exactly how much it will accommodate.

Then its up to you if you want to buy from crucial.com (very good ram) or newegg.com

Looks like your board uses PC133.

7. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

still check the manual, if its an older board, it might not take high density, and some 256^ chips will not work with certain chipsets. especially if it's some clone with a SIS motherboard or something.