GUN What makes a shotgun Class 3?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4bangin, Sep 9, 2002.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I am wanting to buy a Street Sweeper. I have found some that sa all lass 3 rules apply, but some that just say it is a Detructive Device, but doesnt say anything about needed a Class 3 license or anything. Is a Destructive Device automaticly considere aClass 3 weapon? Also, what about the street sweeper makes it Class 3?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

"Class 3" in sorta slang for a firearm that falls under the federal NFA regulations, including items classified as "destructive devices" under the NFA regs. So yes, the term "destructive device" always refers to a Class 3 weapon.

Provided you have a permit/can pass a background check, the federal laws aren't difficult to comply with, just costly and time consuming. It's usually the state laws that are more restrictive. Some states just go with what the feds say though.
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/nfa.htm

A shotgun is considered an "assault weapon" (and thus, Class 3) if it is semi-automatic and has two or more of the following features:

a) a folding or telescoping stock;
    b) a pistol grip
    c) a magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds
    d) ability to accept a detachable magazine.

The Street Sweeper/Stryker 12 shotguns also fell in with the SPAS-12 as being specifically singled out by name for looking "dangerous".

3. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Also a barrel length under 16 inches on any stlye of shotgun or rifle is Class III.

4. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Just what I was looking for :) Thanks a bunch

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

The SPAS12 :yum:

I've loved that shotgun forever.

6. nordaim

nordaim Guest

These fall onto a Class 4, which is an Any Other Weapon. They only require a $5 tax stamp/transfer fee.

AOW's are short barrelled shotguns/rifles, pen guns, revolver knives and the like.

Unlike Class 3's, which require a $200 tax stamp. These are your full-auto's, select-fires, silencer's, destructive-devices, et cetera.