A&P What makes a good photograph?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by WiLL, Nov 14, 2004.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Hi. I dont have any photos to show off or anything. But I am making this post to ask for some help. To get to the point, I am making a newsletter with a few middle school kids at the program I work at. I am in charge of the photography section.

I want to know what would be the best way of "teaching" this. We are VERY limited in resources. Basically I have a digicam (personal) and everyone else is given point and shoot film cameras (at worst disposibles).

How do I teach what a good photo is? Are there resources out there on the net? Most of the sites I find teaches things such as shutter speed, fstops, ISO...basically things that the students wont even have control over. So I think I need to find ways to motivate and inspire, and at the same time teach them basics like Rule of 1/3s, soft curves, lines...etc.

If someone can point me somewhere...:hs: THanks.

2. mojito

mojito New Member

Don't know of any specific place, but I'd look through photo albums like www.pbase.com where you can search for photos, and use them to show how simple things like changing compositon or angle of view are great tools. Have them shoot from under the subject, above the subject, notice how that can change how you view the subject.

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Right. Bird's eye and worm's eye view. :hs: I forgot about that.

Thanks

4. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

5. lilelfnuts

lilelfnuts New Member

i hate when people touch up photos in photoshop and dont say it.

6. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

you should teach them about composition and basic lighting maybe? also do a little research on rule of thirds and the golden rectangle