What made you "switch"...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by diranged, Jun 8, 2004.

1. diranged

diranged New Member

I will never fully convert over to Apples -- PC's just have too much usefullness. But I "switched" back in 2001 when my boss told me I could either have a PowerBook G3 w/ a DVD player, or a Dell Latitude w/ a CDROM. I went for the portable DVD player! :) Since then, I have realized that nobody makes a better laptop than Apple...

You?

2. MP

MP New Member

you

and i hate you for it!

3. slfmade

slfmade New Member

ive been using macs for about 12-14 years, no switching has occured. ive owned 2 pcs in that time, a desktop which was sold 3 months after we got it cause it had so many problems. and then a laptop which i sold 2 years later, after it had never been used...

4. diranged

diranged New Member

:bigthumb: you love it, and you know it!

5. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

I switch this year with the new iBook G4 1GHz

unix OS on panther, WiFi, portable DVD player and tech toy for me.
    the laptop looks cute for my wife.
    so we both win.

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I never switched, we always had one. My first computer was a Mac SE that my Dad got from his friend. I've been in love since then.

7. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

In college there were always lines of people waiting to use the PCs at the computer labs on campus. One day I got tired of waiting and walked next door to the Mac lab, which was about 1/4 full. It didn't take long to realize that all the stuff I needed to do (email, web surfing, Word, connecting to UNIX servers for programming assignments) could be done on either a Mac or a PC, so I stopped bothering to find an open PC and just went straight to the Mac labs. My senior year I decided to finally buy my own computer. Not too long after that, Apple introduced the G4, so I ordered one. It worked flawlessly for years, so when Apple introduced the G5 I ordered one.

I have nothing against PCs :)

8. Achmiel

Achmiel Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshi

I'm a graphic designer, so that's my excuse :tongue:

Seriously, I grew up with PCs (from tandy's to Packard Bells) - and I like the ease of use of the Mac (quick-keys). Plus, I can load up software from my work so I dont have to pay for it.

I bought my first and only mac so far in 2001 - a 500mhz G3 iBook, and I'm running Panther (OS10.3) - I love the new OS with a passion

I also have a PC at home that I use for FTPing stuff, surfing the net, and checking email. It's good to have a PC just in case

I use my iBook more than ever since I upgraded to 10.3

9. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

never switched...it's what i started with

10. Brsboarder1

Brsboarder1 New Member

was a pc guy up until this year, had a dell laptop that went into service all the time, bought a new 12in ibook, best battery life, everything i was looking for, I cant complain

11. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Used PC's at my job in high school. Took a System 7 class at the local community college one summer and have used them ever since. I own both a PC and a Mac and used PC only at work for five years and am proficient with both. I prefer Mac.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  12. migwuk

migwuk New Member

i switched to buy an ipod. programmed macs in high school. funny thing is the mac was better at running windows programs than a windows machine. the mac runs more of the programs produced for windows also. after five, count em, five windows machines i got tired of my programs not running right. bought a mac and only lost five game programs out of about 2 hundred windows programs. pc gurus remember if you use word, power point, ect... thank apple for the mac programs that bill gates produced that you use.

13. dmora

dmora Guest

never switched. :)

Started with an Apple IIe with a Green Screen, and then my dad had a Mac SE he brought home from work when those came out, then we got a Mac with Color, then a Performa 475, then a Performa 575, then I started working for apple, i got a 9600, then had a Bronze keyboard Powerbook, then got a Ti, then got a 12" Aluminum, and now a 15". :)
    I dont know if i'll ever buy a tower tho, i love portability. :big grin:

14. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Always used PC's. Bought a new laptop in April that was a p4 2.8ghz. Got 1hr 45mins out of the battery doing webbrowsing and basic shit. Said screw it..sold it and about a 12" powerbook. A couple friends owned them and OS X was sweet to use. The battery life is great...and I can do anything I could on my PC.

15. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

hardcore Apple since the Apple IIe :bigthumb: LOGO Writer ownz you

I have nothing against PCs though, I just find that I'm more productive on a Mac. It would be nice to build a cheap PC but I don't have the combination of time + disposable income to build a gaming machine though :hs:

And there's the other shit, like the fact that you can't even patch a fresh XP install over the net these days, because they literally get infected before the update download completes (there was an ask Slashdot thread about this a few weeks back)

16. dmora

dmora Guest

OH SNAP!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: I sooo remember that shit.

17. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I used a PC for my entire life until 2001. Here's the progression

AT&T Unix Terminal - My dad worked for Southern Bell and they were throwing it away so...
    Tandy 1000 - Everyone Had it
    Home-built 486 - 66megahurtz
    Pentium 1 200mhtz
    Pentium 3 500mhtz - From Gateway :shrudder:
    [glorious music]
    Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 800
    [/glorious music]

Since then I've bought a G3 iBook and have a spare windows computer that never gets any use.

18. bballe336

bballe336 New Member

i have always liked mac. friends had and my mom didnt liek it so we didnt get one but eventually i got my own the one i have now someone gave it to me completely free and i couldnt have been happier. I was so happy when i got my mac now i realize pc's suck and i have made 3 people convert and make the switch to apple in the past year or so.

19. zeroace

zeroace ..........

I'm the most recent switch it seems..

I got my Powerbook less than a month ago... I was looking for 12" laptops that weren't so bulky and the Powerbook 12" was the best choice out of my selection. I had a friend who was anti-Windows and had an older model G4 and I got to use it and really liked the feel and styling of the Powerbook.

So, when it came time to get a new laptop, it was Apple vs the other laptops.
    Now, I'm enjoying every moment I have it. It does everything I wanted it to do and OSX is a much nicer OS to use in my opinion. (Like today, I discovered the F9,F10,F11 keys in showing the desktop and showing applications and fell in love with OSX again)
    It took a couple days to get use to the OSX controls compared to the regular Windows keys but it was very easy.

20. egbok

egbok Old Dirty Bastard

Never switched. I've been using both for years on my previous jobs (70% PC compatible, 30% MAC). I'm using a Dell XPS desktop and a 12" Powerbook at home, all IBM PC compatible at work. MAC does have the best Notebook out there with reasonable price.

21. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I almost got an iBook when I started at VCU, but I couldn't really afford it. I'm somewhat happy I didn't because I do a lot of .NET programming now. In class we use Java though, so it wouldn't have been an issue there. I'd like to use one but I'm just so used to Windows. I have no problems with it either. I don't use IE so I'm not open there and I keep the OS itself up to date. Everything I need to do can be done just as well with Windows, so I've found no reason to actually switch. As a geek, I'd like to have an Apple just to learn about it.