COMIC What made you come back to comics?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by axio, Mar 24, 2006.

1. axio

axio New Member

I hadn't picked up a comic after Image came around. Felt sort of disallusioned by everything, didn't like the art in any of the comics I had read since I was a kid (this was then X-Men looked really retarded and Logan was in the shadows 3/4ths of the time), and there were way too many titles to keep up with (want to take a guess on how many X titles there were in the late '90s?). So I just stopped reading and other than a trip to comic book store in 2003 to get a Tranformers G1 (Dreamwave) comic I didn't really care much for comics. Movies like Daredevil only made me pack up most of my collection to rot in the attic.

Then about 4 months ago I saw someone mention something about Hal Jordan coming back in Green Lantern and downloaded my first CBR file. Since then I've probably downloaded about 50 gigs of comics (from here, from torrent sites, etc) and spent about $2-3,000 on TPBs and comics in general. :eek4:

ibineverstoppedreading :squint:

2. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

I have most of the Batman : Knightfall/Knightquest series, but I never had all of them. Maybe 2-3 weeks ago, that Marvel thread was floating around, and people were posting cool comic screen caps. I asked where they got them online from, got shown all the sites that I'm sure everyone in this forum knows now, and just started reading again. The first arc I read (now) was The Other in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, but I also found the entire Batman series on there, so I finally got to read all of Knightfall etc.

:bowdown: to internet comics

3. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

never followed them until recently. i had somewhat of a knowledge from what my friend had told me but never cared to get into them cause i felt like i missed a ton of shit. thats why im so happy with the Ultimate Universe

4. Spidey_C

Spidey_C Play to win.

OT renewed my interest in comics. :o

5. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

indeed... specifically the Infinity Gauntlet talk.

6. Icecleric

Icecleric OT Comix Crew

For me it was like Axio. I got lost in the sea of gimmick book and moved and started a family. I had to leave my comix in Va while I waqs living in Ak. When I finally came back to get them he had sold/gotten rid of them.

I started buying TPB's because I just could not rebuy them. I also started buying individual comix when Dreamwave came out with the TF comix.

I then started to read Wizard again and from their suggestions I read Preacher, Authority, Top Ten, Astro City, Powers those type. Again I would only buy them in TPB form.

From there I started reading the Ultimate universe stuff. I had read about digital forms of comix but had never been able to track them down on Kazaa or other things. I also had never used torrents.

So then I found that wonderful thread and really have thrown myself back into comix. I upgraded my internet, started those sites and have started torrents.

For me right now it is a chance to get comix I once had without the frustration of buying them twice and also allowing me to carry digital forms of TPB I already own to work to read on my laptop.

I also have been lurking on OT for awhile and finally saw a way to really give something back and jumped on it.

7. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

What's TPB mean :hs:

8. axio

axio New Member

Trade Paper Back

Basically a collection of comics. Sometimes they are edited to fix inconsistencies, they usually take out the to be continued, ads, etc also.

9. lazyjk

lazyjk Uncle Sam wants you for the NEW Freedom Fighters!!

i grew up on a small town in the middle of MT, so I never had access to comics. I always tried to get the few that our drugstore got, but I couldn't keep it up. I've followed the storylines, but now with OT and going to college in a decent sized town I can get some on line and get TPB's:wiggle:

10. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

tomorrow i have to look on ebay for some TPB's and use my paypal for the first time :noes: im nervous about it

11. Trungtastic

Trungtastic OT Supporter

At home, I didn't have a car so it was too inconvenient to go to the comic store. Then I went to college and there was a comic book store right next to campus.

Damn them, this gets to be an expensive hobby :hs:

12. Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is Freewheelin' OT Supporter

My girlfriend got me back into comics. She went to the comic-con last weekend and bought me an Ultimate Xmen comic and then I was hooked again.

13. MeanieMe

MeanieMe New Member

I've never been too hard core into comics. everyonce in a while I'd buy some mags here & there when a comcs store open accros the place I lived. (X-girlfriend worked there) Then every once in a while I'd open them up & became a fan of the early Marvel VS. DC series and all the stuff previous to that. Most of the collection was Wolverine tho.

& now here I am, using what little free time I have to start reading them. & i must say the story lines and have gotten very good now a days.
    now i'm picking up the issues of Fables & Y-the last man. I'll have to look into e-bay to get the previous issues.

Came for the pictures.
    Stayed for the stories.

14. ship of fools

ship of fools OT Supporter

I was into comics but never really starting buying them until I saw Spiderman back in 02. After that I started getting into them more but that eventually faded until Age of Apocalypse and Onslaught stuff was posted here.

15. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I read graphic novels and TPB's now. I can't keep up with regular comics :hs:

16. smokin_j

smokin_j New Member

Didn't own a TV or radio at the time; and comic books where a lot cheaper than buying either.

17. backslide

backslide This space for rent. Inquire inside.

I only came back recently.

I heard there was a Serenity comic tieing the TV show to the movie and did a little digging and found that there were weekly releases of comics on torrents.

I had also went to Barnes & Nobles once a month and flipped through some of the TPBs there. Read Batman: Hush and wanted to read the whole thing so I downloaded that ... and from there, downloaded a whole lot of Batman stuff.

Read about House of M and downloaded that and haven't stopped since.

18. Xamot

Xamot Knowledge should be Free.

never left comics..

bought marvel stock when i was 16 :hs:
    i :love: marvel

19. Pyrdwein

Pyrdwein New Member

That is almost exactly my story. I could never afford this shit as a kid, but always loved it when I did get my hands on an issue here or there. A few years ago someone gave me a cd with a few hundred of the first X-Men comics and I got hooked pretty hard. I remember reading the first few Ultimate X-Men which had just started at the time and not knowing what the fuck was going on. The Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine thread on here really jump-started my love for comics again tho.

20. Alien

Alien snikt bub!! OT Supporter

i started readin comics when i was really young
    my love for comics never died.....just got repressed since i had other things going on in life
    i got back into due to the release of the second part of AoA
    and things just snowballed from there......and now i go to the comic store every week for stuff

21. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Bringing a thread back from the dead.

I was never into comics before. I got hurt at work the other week, and I'm not used to having much spare time, but for now I've got plenty. I was bored, and was looking for zombie stuff on the internet, and came across The Walking Dead. D/l'd all of them, then Invincible, and a few others, so basically all I've been doing for the last two to three weeks is d/ling and reading comics. I've already spent about $250 ordering the ones I like, and I've set up an auto subscription for 10 different books I like. I also found out there is a comic store a block up from my place, and I'm sure once I get to moving around again, I'll be there weekly.

22. DiabloOwnr

DiabloOwnr Member

The Ultimate Universe.

23. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

Ultimate Xmen and Spiderman :o

24. void

void oh yeah?

i was a MASSIVE wolverine junkie when i was in my early teens, then one day i just stopped reading...and then back in january someone posted the first issue of Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk showing logan ripped in half and i was like :eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i went out and bought it the next day, hundreds of dollars and 300+ comics later...here i am :hs:

little did i know there was a difference between the ultimate and the 616 universes, i was like, "ummmm when did nick fury contract teh negro?" :o

25. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

My brother bestowed his entire collection of (Marvel/DC/Image) comics to me. Which is a lot of fucking comics :eek5:

And then I stumbled upon this little forum and regained interest.