A&P What lenses to get?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by XtremeSaturn, Feb 18, 2004.

1. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I'm going to be heading up to New York City in November for my honeymoon and was wondering what type of lenses I should start saving for now? I have a Canon 300D btw.

I have my eyes on a Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 EF USM Lens and was thinking a fish eye would give some interesting shots of some skyscrapers (from the perspective of shooting straight up).

What are your opinions on a lens that would allow me to take some great shots of the landmarks, people, and whatever else you could think of?

I have the 18-55mm lens that comes with the 300D.

2. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

The Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a great walkaround lens, plus it has IS which is great for lower lighting situations, only about $400

For fisheye, the Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX Diagonal Fisheye isnt bad, but its only a bit wider than your 18-55, good for wide shots, may not give the effect your after because of the 1.6 crop, however the Sigma 8mm f4 EX Circular Fisheye will give some interesting effects. You might want to see some examples of these lens before you get thiem. http://www.jasystems.com/Sigma_8mm/2house_test.htm and Canon fisheyes are fairly expensive, so unless you got cash probably not worth looking

If you want some longer reach, dont bother with the 75-300, way too soft, and go for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, you'll get razor sharp pics with L quality glass for only about $550

You would probably be covered with the 18-55 and a 70-200

3. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

For a cheap ultrawide you can try Sigma's 12-24, for a cheap telephoto I guess the 75-300 USM will do...you're only other alternatives are a Sigma 70-200 unless you want to pony up for a Canon 70-200.

4. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Will the sigma's give decent results? I like the results I'm getting with the 18/55mm and don't want to go down in quality if that make sense. I just need more flexibility with zoom and wide shots.

5. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

if you plan on doing street photography, try it on a 50mm prime lens... even though its = to 85mm on your 300d... its a world of fun to shoot (i have a 10d). if you can afford a 24mm prime lens, that would be a great choice as well

most people new to photography and slr lenses get duped into buyint the crap lens you have listed above because it offers a lot of zoom for little money. what is often overlooked is that it is a very slow lens (not a lot of light gets in at f/4) - its slow to focus and has a good deal of barrel distortion on the long end.

as far as a fisheye goes, the cheapest "real" fisheye you are gonna find is the sigma 15mm f/2.8 lens which runs (if i recall) around $450. cheaper alternitives would be a zenitar 16mm f/2.8 off ebay w/ the EOS adapter plate. you will have to shoot in full manual and adjust the apreture on the lens, but its not that big of a deal. remember that its no where near as 'fishey' as on a film slr because of the 1.6x crop. the sharpness of the photos is also no where near that of the sigma 15mm or the canon 15mm, but for under $160 its hard to beat

lenses don't take great photos... neither do camera's, they are only tools that allow a photographer to get better shots then if they used a cardbord box w/ a pinhole in it. that said... there is no one super lens.

for landscapes, landmarks, sunsets, wide or semi-wide lenses in the range of 20mm -24mm work best.

for street photography, 24mm, 35mm and 50mm work best

for portrats, 85mm though 135mm is choice

just remember - you bought a $900 body, strapping a $150 lens on it will produce images that look like they were taken w/ a $150 lens... buy the best you can afford now - as you will no doubt upgrade the body over time but lenses are usually kept for extended periods of time