What kind of tires for a 1999 Passat?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Sep 19, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It has 17" wheels. I'd like to get something with better-than-shitty winter traction, but not so good as to sacrifice summer traction. I do live in Virginia, so I only have to deal with snow a few times a year and usually for a day or less. I'd like to stick with Euro tires, but I'll go Asian if there is no better option. I'd rather avoid American tires, as I've not had good luck with them in the past.

2. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

you arnet going to find a tire that does all that, but dunlop wintersport m3 are good snows that work ok in the summer

3. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

God no! wintersport m3s are a WINTER tire that should only be used in the winter. I have a set and I love them, in the WINTER. I would go with a decent all season tire if you want a good balance between winter and summer, otherwise you'll have to get two sets.

4. deusexaethera

So what's a good all-season Euro tire that comes in 225/45?

5. thegoodson

thegoodson This morning she made me eat her hair pie.

michelin pilot exalto a/s. thats whats goin on my mk4 jetta 1.8t. check them out.

6. deusexaethera

I've heard about Pilots. My uncle had them on his Jag for a while, and they wore out really fast. Is there a version made of somewhat harder rubber that lasts for more than 20,000 miles or so? I drive that much in a year. (amazing, considering my round-trip commute is 30 miles or less.)

7. ChosenGSR

checkout tirerack and read the review, I honestly don't know jack about all season tires. I run ultra high performance tires in the summer and winters in the winter.

8. deusexaethera

That's a nice idea, but it doesn't snow enough in VA to justify having a separate set of snow tires. I guess I'll just have to take my chances with the customer reviews, and hope there aren't any corporate plants in the mix.

9. ChosenGSR

I'm in MD and I have a winter set. It's true that it only snows perhaps 4-5 times a winter, but since my M3 is my daily for now I have to be able to get out in snow.

10. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

my mom keeps em on her a6 all the time and has no problems with them

11. shiba

shiba Active Member

what about falken zeiks 512?

12. deusexaethera

I had a set of Falkens on my old car. They were awesome in good weather, but they skidded like motherfuckers in the rain -- and I didn't have ABS. I do have ABS on this car, but I'd rather not use it on a regular basis.

13. deusexaethera

Does she actually drive the car, or just sort of let it idle down the road til she gets where she's going? Winter tires are made to grip snow, not blacktop. They wear out too fast on blacktop.

14. thegoodson

45,000 mile tread life guarantee.

15. deusexaethera

Intriguing. I might get those, then.

16. Bassheadjazz03

Bassheadjazz03 OT Supporter

On a 17" wheel? Good luck with that...:hsugh: My customers that wear the pilots in 17 generally get around 25-30, maybe 35k if the dont drive hard...The 45k might be true for the smaller sizes though...

17. thegoodson

18. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

yes she drives it, its a a6 2.7t 6 speed manual

you think she would have gotten a twin turbo 6 speed car if it wasnt going to go to use?

19. deusexaethera

I would certainly hope she knew what she was buying. That said, people have been known to buy something from Brand X just because other people say it's better than Brand Y.

I have to think that she's not getting the full performance out of her car if she's driving on winter tires year-round. The disadvantages of driving on soft rubber with hundreds of tiny little tread blocks instead of a couple dozen big wide tread blocks are well-documented. I dunno, maybe she's special. It's like seatbelts -- there are a few people who didn't wear them and it saved their lives, but thousands upon thousands of people would have died without them.

20. deusexaethera

As much as I like Michelins, I'm kinda leaning in the direction of Pirelli P-Zeros at the moment. I've had good experience with Michelin Energy MXV4's, but they don't make them in 225/45R17, and from what I've seen the Pilots wear down way too fast, so...I dunno. I'm back where I started. Continentals seem to lose too much grip as they wear down, Pirellis seem to have too little shoulder strength, Michelin Pilots have a nasty tendency to wear down in the middle, and Michelin Energys aren't available in the size I need.

(sigh)