what kind of strength gains do you guys see with hypertrophy/bber routines?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Skeletor, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i'm considering switching from modified bill starr to something more hypertrophy oriented but i don't want to stop seeing strength increases....

do you guys regularly up your weight every few weeks for each exercise (squats, bench, rows, etc) or do you stick with certain weights for pretty long periods of time before you see any big strength increases? thanks.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Main movement = lower the reps, up the weight
    Accessories = up the reps

3. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

I'd like a reason as to WHY you would move away from something that, by your own admission, is working to make you stronger.

4. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

I did the same thing for a while after doing the mod'd bill star. I wouldn't say that my gains stopped, but I mean to go from 5x5 to 4x12 or w/e required that drop in weight. Def. helps with muscle definition though and that overall jacked look. I wouldn't say that it helped my strength though.

I'm back to doing 3x3 or 5x5 on my main lifts s/b/d but I'll do 4x8 / 3x10 / 4x12 on shit that is more cosmetic or harder to hit. Basically, incline bench, shrugs, rows, etc

I'd say though that if you have to drop below an 80 lb dumbbell on anything, you're probably doing too many reps. frat muscle stuff excluded

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'd just like the slow my roll for a bit... maxing out on everything once a week feels pretty taxing and i'd like to be able to work out consistently without feeling such effects.

What I currently do is 5x5 for the big three and 2x10 or 3x8 for other accessory movements like maine said.... I like it but for example after doing ME squats my knees and hips don't feel so great (they don't hurt, just feel like they've had a lot of pressure on them)... I guess I want to take off 5x5 for a while so i can work on form and just build some mass until i'm down to get back into going heavy all the time.

6. Formz

Call me old fashioned but it seems like if you're making strength gains, and you're a little tired, you'd switch to getting more sleep or something - not changing routines so it doesn't beat you up as much. :dunno:

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

after 48 hours i'm ready to lift again... it's not the full body aspect or recovery that's bothering me... it's directly after going heavy I feel shitty in my joints and lately somewhat in my lower back (switched to squatting below parallel, and my lower back curves at the bottom of the rep).

obviously it will eventually escalate into serious problems... that's why I'd rather go 3x8 or something for the big 3 too (in addition to my accessory lifts) so I can work on form with the lighter weight...

That's all beside the point-- I'm not asking for advice on how to feel better with 5x5, i'm asking people who don't do 5x5 and do different shit like 3x8 for their big 3 experience gains in strength or not... if you aren't one of those people then you don't need to concern yourself with it. Good day.

8. Formz

Again, it seems to me like you're just wanting to change a routine because you're not doing your current one correctly. If you feel shitty in your joints and your lower back is getting fucked squatting, your form sucks. I'd say get your form in check, then start worrying about a detailed routine. Until then, lift, eat, sleep.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

^ exactly... but I can't work on form if i'm loading up my 5RM all the time... I'd rather work on it with lighter weight where I can actually explore my range of motion properly and perhaps strengthen the weak links in my chains.

At least that's my way of seeing it.

10. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

instead of listening to everyone else about your body, listen to yourself and adjust accordingly. Who the fuck cares what routine you do? As long as you are making injury free progress stick with it. End of story.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

That's exactly what i'm trying to do, but if dudes wanna come in and talk mess then i'm happy to debate, i got nothing else to do but homework right now.

Anyways, you're broly... what kind of routine do you do and what strength gains have you seen? (assuming it's the kind i'm thinking of switching to i.e. bodypart split, less strength-based)

12. Formz

Talk... mess?

And :bowrofl: @ saying you're going to listen to your own body and then asking the broly kid for advice in the same breath.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i'll fuck you till you love me

14. Formz

And btw I'm not trying to start shit or call you out or anything. I just don't think some one at your level should be worried about stuff like this. :dunno:

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

what do you mean? :ugh:

dude says listen to what i wanna do... I AM doing so by switching routines (body's saying to quit doing what i'm doing for a while and try something else)... i'm looking for people who are already doing what i plan to switch to (bodypart splits and different set/rep schemes) to see if they made strength gains, because next to overall health, strength is probably my ultimate goal, although lately i've been thinking more about size to an equal degree.

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

that's understandable and i see where you're coming from, but i wanna keep getting stronger without having to stick to my current routine for a while. just wondering if that's at all possible.

anyways nearly a page of posts none of which answer my question. let this thread die.

17. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

You can still make strength gains. From what I've seen, your calories are still over maintenance so I don't see a problem with gaining strength on a hypertrophy based routine. However, I'm sure your progress with regard to strength gain won't be as fast as it would be if you stuck to a more strength based program.

18. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Certainly it's not as simple as doing more weight than you did last week? Or perhaps more reps with the same weight as you used last week?

19. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

why not keep your old routine but change the rep scheme? instead of going for a 5rm each time, try to go for 8 reps?

20. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:eek3: actually a really good idea. Might try this out, cause when I tried a bodypart split I didn't dig it too much.

21. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I was the same way.
    to change up my full body routine, I do antagonizing sets and supersets (bench then row, squat then straight leg dl, etc...) for a week or 2 then back to regular sets. another thing is change some excercises, for example, do front squats instead of back squats etc...

you can change a bit here and there, just keep the core and target of your routine the same.

I personally like antagonist supersets because I get a great pump

22. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

If you add muscle mass you will more then likely get stronger but you will not make the same strength gains you would on a dedicated strength routine.

This shit ain't rocket surgery folks.

23. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'm well aware... I'm doing it no matter what, i just wanna know what to expect. thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences, ladies, i appreciate it.

24. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Try Purs Routine. Thing kicks ass.

25. Drewski

Drewski New Member

depending on the routine (ie. HST), some people will actually lose strength even though they are gaining size. Think I remember Mike doing it and saying he got a bit weaker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.