What kind of storage are you guys using at work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by reverse, Oct 26, 2005.

1. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

What technology/brand/capacity are you guys using at your jobs for mass storage? If money was no object, what would you purchase?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  2. thrlride

thrlride NO MA'AM

LTO2's, DLT4's, 3480's etc

Mostly Fuji tapes, some HP as well and then some Imations.

Our largest capacity tape is 400/800 gig per tape.

3. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

What systems are you backing up? Do you have a SAN?

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

we've got a couple terrabytes. but we're also only like 130 person company and dont require much space. i'm still new here and a lil peon so i have no idea what our method of storage actualy is.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

windows network, 140gb raid 5 array, backup to dell 80/160 DLT tapes with 2 drives. With the new hockey season starting, we're gonna get raped on disk space so we're debating on weather to add a NAS device or upgrade the 36gb disks in our server to 73's.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

SAN

Mostly HP storageworks: HSG80's, HSV110 (EVA 5000's) ( fiber scsi )
    Some 3par storage ( pata, sata, fiber scsi )
    Some Hitachi storage ( fiber scsi )
    Had EMC crap, but it was crap, although it's most compatible with many platform/hosts.
    Some old IBM mainframe ficon crap.

For tape storage:

9840C, 9940B, LTO G2, DTL7k, DLT8k, SDLT, a few VTL's. Only storagetek libraries; L20's, L180's, L700, powderhorns, the best in the business. HP and IBM libraries are utter crap.

About a petabyte in disk storage for just this site.
    About 3 petabytes in tape storage for this site.

How heterogenous is your environment? What platforms? What OS'? What HBA's do you use? Do you use any raid software like Veritas?

Use whatever storage all of these aspect support. Find the common denominator, which is probably Hitachi or EMC.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

whats with the sun av, just a big fan of their products or do you work for them in some way?

8. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

I've always had good experiences with network appliance equipment. For backup, i've used both legato and veritas with overland SDLT libraries.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Don't work for them, not a big fan, just something I decided I wanted as an AV years ago.

Took me a while to figure out what your talking about since I had all the av's and sigs and crap turned off.

10. thrlride

thrlride NO MA'AM

Our company has near 100 petabytes of storage we back up per month, I only deal with about 400 terabytes of that though.

We backup over a SAN and some network as well. Some are direct from the EMC symmetrix also.

Software packages used are:

Legato
    EDM
    Netbackup
    Arcserve
    TSM
    Omniback/HP Dataprotector

11. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

our location has about 230 employees and our main storage is an ibm raid5 of 16 142GB ultra scsi 320 drives with several older compaq proliant servers. it's funny you mentioned a san because we are in the middle of restoring data from dlt4 and it's taking forever. when the lob complained, i said "buy a SAN" :dunno:

12. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

A SAN won't help in restores. It's not even directly related to backups, but can be used in that infrastructure. I don't like the term SAN because it can mean many things.

SAN can be used for the storage infrastructure or the actual immense storage array(s). So if you were to have a SAN based backup environment, where you have a backup server on the SAN controlling the library and other hosts attached to that SAN who have direct access to the drives on the library, you can do backups and restores over the SAN instead of over the network. This theoretically is faster than over the network, but it's only as strong as your weakest link, so if you have a DLT7000 or DLT8000 drive at the other end of the SAN, reading DLT IV tapes through a brocade/mcdata 10 GB glass pipes isn't going to make that restore any faster than going over 100 Mb NIC's.

Depending on the budget, upgrading to a seperate backup Gig-E network over copper and maybe some LTO G2 or G3's drives may be more realistic. Setting up a SAN for backups for just 2TB of data is waste, unless you plan to use old second hand hardware/switches/storage. Not too hard to setup, but it still will be costly.

13. col_panic

i was thinking in terms of the san *being* the backup, not restoring from tape. we are sitting on our asses for half a day waiting for these tapes to be read and it's killing our production. if we had a san with our data copied nightly, we would access that from the dr site instead of restoring from tape.

14. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

That's the common misinterpretation, a SAN in itself is not a backup. I've seen so many colleagues, state I don't have to worry about backups, my data is on a SAN. Then the day a controller dies or hiccups, power goes out, enough disks die in a group, firmware upgrade goes bad, or even if a host crashes hard (independent of the SAN), etc and corrupts the file system or critical files, a SAN won't protect you from that. It should be just considered as a larger RAID/VRAID array meant for high availability and performance, not data protection.

But you state copied nightly. Mirror by software? Or Mirrorstor/Falconstor appliances? Block by block? Snapshots? Or simple dumps to disk. All can be accomplished without a SAN, but easier with some SAN's.

But it seems that you have an idea on keeping the retention of data. And to ensure not copying the problem over to the DR site, this would make the "backup" useless.

Depending on your backup software and your license levels, you can take advantage of d2d2t. This is somewhat popular these days and many companies are taking advantage of this for faster backups and restores with the protection of tape.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  15. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

Can you elaborate? :)

16. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

What do you do with hockey? :eek3:

17. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Much like crontab I have a lot of the same equipment available to my disposal. We prefer EMC for our disk storage unfortunately we were also forced to purchase an STK array as well this year :ugh:, tape devices are usually STK devices 9840a,b,c 9940a,b

Cisco and Brocade switches, 2Gb infastructure at the moment. Mostly 9310 and L700 tape libraries.

We primarily use Tivoli Storage Manager for our backup solutions, in my opinion it is one of the best out there. We also have Legato, Netbackup, BrightStor, ArcSlave, Backup Exec, etc...

18. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I love this one because Tivoli has had this capability for years, now with disk being so cheap it's even easier to convince people on this strategy.

19. col_panic

the nightly copy is a robocopy job - it's a win32 util.

the real problem is the guys who do the robocopy job want to take zero responsibility for the data locations and don't share their scripts. these fuckers had duplicate subdirectory structures under separate parents and they and the login script guys did not communicate adequately so the script guys mapped the wrong directory structure :uh:

we thought we had to restore from tape, which took forever and pissed the business off. after a whole night of restoring - we had restored the same fucking data that was already copied to another location on the server.