What kind of speakers should I buy???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Public Enemy Rated R, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Public Enemy Rated R

Public Enemy Rated R Sexobsessedpussylovinman OT Supporter

Friends of mine have Bose cube/subwoofer systems that don't sound too bad. But, OT keeps saying that they are shit and there are much better and cheaper choices to be had. I like the fact that they are unobtrusive and don't take up any floor or shelf space. Right now I have some huge JBL speakers I bought in the late 80s that take up valuable floor space and I seriously want to off them. What do you audio gurus recommend???

2. hypnosmurf

hypnosmurf blue member OT Supporter

If you absolutely want small speakers then maybe you should look at Klipsch

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=731
    [​IMG]

I have The rf35 rc35 and sb3. They're much larger then the sub and satellites pictured above. And do recommend you actually listen to them before you buy them. Klipsch have a unique sound that you either love or hate. And don't waste you time on the Synergy series the Reference series can be had for about 15% more and they're worth every penny.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  3. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

i would get the Onkyo 7.1 HT in a box (or even the 5.1) if you want a 'small' setup it's very very nice for the money

4. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

5. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!

6. Public Enemy Rated R

That's a good question. I'm in the position to say that money is no object. But, I really don't care about audio enough to spend truckloads of money on speakers. My giant 1988 model JBL speakers sound just fine to me. But my wife and I hate having these huge speakers around our loft. We also need a system for our cavernous bedroom. So, I guess that some mid-priced compact systems that we can mount on the wall would suffice.

7. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

If you are interested in small speakers with high "wife acceptance factor" check the Mirage Omnisats. I listened to these back to back against Gallo's, Focal Sib/Cub, and Monitor Audio Radius R90's. I liked the Mirage the best. Better clarity, & a massive soundstage. I wasn't a huge fan of the football look of the originals but the new V2's are pretty sharp and they now offer a dedicated center.

8. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I am not sure how big your current speakers are however take a look at the paradigm monitor 11's. I just bought the Studio 100's and will have them delivered tomorrow. My family room is 20x20 but the back wall opens up to the rest of the downstairs so I can let you know how much they "fill" the downstairs. The Monitor 11's are 8 inches wde 4 ft tall and a little over a foot deep. They also have a Monitor 90 that is a few inches bigger but adds a subwoofer in each speaker.

Is there a possibility of mounting speakers (either into or on) the walls in your loft?

9. Public Enemy Rated R

Our bedroom is 21 x 26 and our livingroom area is 21 x 40. Both rooms have a 14 foot ceiling. We definitely want wall mount systems that are as small as possible.

10. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

The cinema series are all mountable.
    http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/CinemaCT/Cinema110CT_Specs.html

and there is also a Monitor mountable series.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/OW_Monitor/OW_Monitor_Series.html

but they are not really small like those bose cubes

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

at the risk of flaming, the bose system may be the best option for you if you have the money and don't care to spend the time testing all of your options. on the other hand, if you don't mind taking a little time and doing some more research, then seperate components are the much better choice.

12. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

13. Public Enemy Rated R

Thanks for the advice people. I'll go out and check this stuff out ASAP.

14. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

With a room of your size you might want to think about getting a more "wife-friendly" pair of floorstanding speakers. JMLabs/Focal Profile series come to mind as do Dynaudio Focus or Contour, Revel F32, B&W N803, Totem Forest, and NHT Xd. These will all take up less floor space than your JBL's, look much nicer, and most of all sound 10X better than any wall-mounted speaker available. I would even consider using a pair of small subwoofers like the Velodyne SPL-R 1000 to fill out the bass in your room.

15. SilverJettaGLX

Did he mention a budget? I took my wife speaker shopping not too long ago. She was very attracted to the B&W 800D, until she saw the price tag:eek4:

16. blang

blang lang

Do you guys have energy louspeakers in the USA?

They are a cdn company and are very highly recommended

17. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I have the Energy e:XL-15 for surround sound speakers. I love mine, but you never hear anyone mention them in this forum, so sometimes i'm like, why bother. They are indeed great sounding speakers

18. SilverJettaGLX

I really liked the veritas 2.0 bookshelves, I havent heard the rest of the veritas or the newer veritasi series.

GoodGuys on the west coast had the c series for 50% for
    a while. They are now going out of business and selling them at the remaining stores at about 70% off msrp. Can't be beat at that price IMO

19. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

check out the nanosat system from Mirage, they are very small speakers, very easily wall mountable, and sound fantastic. My parents have that setup paired with a Deneon AVR-1705 Receiver and it sounds awesome.

20. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

where can I find the reference series for that low of a price? I'm very interested.

21. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

There is always the options of buying good monitors. They are usually smaller than bookshelf speakers.

Downfalls are they have to be plugged in, so if you have monitors as surrounds, you'll have to have them near outlets. But they sound DAMN good for small speakers.

22. johnson

johnson New Member

Screw what the wife said and get larger speakers, especially with that room size.