GUN What kind of small flashlight should I buy?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SigmaNuClay, Mar 10, 2007.

1. SigmaNuClay

SigmaNuClay I'll show you my nunchuk...

As you probably know, I rarely visit this forum, but after doing some searching I think that will probably change very soon. I kind of forgot it existed. I saw a thread in the main forum a while back about Fenix small flashlights. I liked the overall look, feel, and light output. I also liked the price. I dont use a flashlight very often, but it's something I'd like to have. It seems members have mixed feelings about the Fenix brand. I want a very small light around $40 that produces good light. What would you guys suggest, Fenix brand or otherwise. There seems to be quite a few models to choose from, so I wasn't even sure where to begin. any suggestions?

2. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Fenix is great for all-around use. They're well-made and good value.

I like the single-AA lights myself, so a L1S/L1T/L1D are good choices. The L1D CE uses the latest X-Lamp LED from Cree, which is brighter than the Luxeon LEDs from Lumileds, so you either get brighter for the same amount of time or the same brightness for longer since the L1D has four brightness levels.

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I think the only negative posts about Fenix you're finding are from Handjob, he doesn't actually own any, but likes to bitch a lot. That said....

I like my L0P now modded with a Cree. But in stock luxeon form it was great. Also check out the L1X models. A decent competitor now are Jetbeam, the make some similar lights to hte Fenix line and usually a couple $'s cheaper.
    The service from either are great and in the US.
    www.lighthound.com
    www.fenixstore.com

5. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

6. 2L Bunny

The Strion is nice, I've had one for a few years now. But it sounds bigger and just "more" than you were asking for. Also to compare candlepower is a useless number, the Strion puts out ~80-100 lumens.

7. SigmaNuClay

nice, thanks for the responses guys. :h5:

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I got a light called the palm blaze. it's 2x cr123 powered, but it thows about 120 lumens out the front and it's only $40. i carry it everywhere and use it a lot and the light still hasn't faded. runtime is about 60+ mins with 10hrs of useful light on a set of bats.

9. 2L Bunny

Any link to it? That 120 lumens sounds a bit over rated.

10. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

11. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Be skeptical of lumens claims, esepcially if they seem high. Lumiled's K2 suffers from, er, overly creative measurement techniques on its spec sheets to the point that the performance can't even be replicated in the best laboratory environments.

That particular flashlight looks like something distributed by Nuwai. Nuwai is known for average quality at best.

Also looks like the optic isn't protected by a lens. Given the soft polycarbonate they typically make LED optics from, that's not really a good thing.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Nuwai Q3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$36.xx shipped with 3 batteries, IIRC.

13. 2L Bunny

Here's some simple math with their claims. A standard CR123 is ~1300 MAh = 1.3 Ah available from the cell.

So 1.5A drive current X 1.5 hrs. = 2.25 Ah

Somehow they're using magic drivers to increase output beyond what the battery is capable. Most likely if it even drives it at 1.5A (doubtfull) you'd get ~45 miuntes of runtime once driver efficiency is added in.

If the runtime is near 2.5 hrs to 50%, I'd guess an output of the LED closer to 80 lumens, then factor in reflector losses to that.

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

it's a pretty hard poly carbonate lense and it manages to make a square beam pattern. I don't know how it does it, cause it doesn't seem like anything special. For 40 bucks it's pretty decent. It's definately brighter than a surefire g2 or any other surefire 2x123. The only other better flashlight out there now is the new Cree X-RE stuff, but that wasn't out yet when I went to buy this one. I got mine off e-bay and it came with a set of rechargables that i haven't used yet, as i'm still on the stock duracells. I'm too lazy to get beamshots, but it's really impressive light. The only thing i wish it had was a clip or something as it kinda likes to roll. Also, the case gets a little warm after about 15 mins of being on. 130lumens, i doubt it, but i'd say a good 90-100 lumens of pure solid semi-flood. there is no spill in the beam pattern and it's about the perfect "tactical" flood size. If someone really want's i can get beamshots and comparisons.

15. Thunderbear

Go for it. I've got a ~80 lumen TLR-1 beamshot that could be compared with. I'd say it's probably close to a TLR-1 in light output.

[​IMG]

Nine feet from the wall or so.

16. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

link for Nuwai?

17. Thunderbear

18. SigmaNuClay

Just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone else. I ordered the Fenix L1D CE on Tuesday from lighthound and get it yesterday. This thing is awesome, exactly what I wanted. thanks you guys! once again, OT never fails to come through.

19. 2L Bunny

I have a Strion that's going in for repair soon. When I get it back I might put it for sale if you're interested. I just have better rechargable lights now.

20. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

21. Initial E

Initial E New Member

i had a relative give me the Inova X5 for a gift a few years back. Very bright and lasted forever. It's a little on the big side for those want to carry it all the time or something. I just found it as a great house flashlight replacement.