WEB What kind of plan do i need to start a good sized forum?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by savethehumans, Nov 25, 2009.

1. savethehumans

savethehumans mmm piss steam. OT Supporter

I want to start a forum I am thinking will have about a thousand users. I know from experiance forums always seem to have to upgrade to new server etc. I dont know if thats because of general costs or bandwidth limitations or database limits.

I just know when I was with 1&1 a long time ago they had unlimited bandwidth but 100MB sql database max sizes. I think thats to limit the size of forum you can have.

I am currently with http://hostpapa.com/Plan_Features.shtml and just have some no bandwidth static pages. Do they have what I need to host a 1000 user forum? Any suggestions before I get started? I haven't decided what forum type ill use, probably php or vbullitin.

Im pretty much a noob when it comes to forums and kinda talking out of my ass, but any info is mucho appreciated.

cheers

2. Browning

Browning Active Member

just get a hostgator, liquidweb, etc account. Something a little more known and reputable

3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

start out with shared hosting, there is no reason to pay more money when you don't need to.

I thought I needed, a big server for my site. A year later, I was out $9K in server fees with barely any traffic.

Then I got reddited, and my $10/mo dreamhost shared hosting, managed to work just fine through 60,000 uniques.

So just stick it out with shared hosting until you really need it.

4. savethehumans

Does my site allow me big enough databases? or is bandwidth all that matters? As in can i just use my own forum and databases, utilizing thier bandwidth? http://hostpapa.com/Plan_Features.shtml

5. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

You can use it, but personally I would never use that one

11pm est and no live chat online ftl

6. savethehumans

Ya I feel ya...i needed support once at 11pm MST and got an answering machine. I never needed support before, just had and FTP issue from a lockout. A bigger dynamic forum, probably=need for some support.

7. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

I would recommend hostgator, or if you want to support an oter, bounceweb

both of them have given me great support, never used bounceweb online, did use hostgator's for a clients site on his plan and it was nice to find people on late at night

8. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

+1 for Host Gator. I have several sites hosted there. live chat has saved my bacon a few times!

9. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Forums are notoriously hard to grow. Start small; you can always move.

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

^^^ Good point

Unless you have a captive audience that you know will visit the site (organization, sports team, etc.), it is difficult to get people to visit a site and post, then come back and post again when you have nothing to capture their attention. Little/No traffic. Just a few posts that you added...etc...