What kind of mods can I do to my Jimmy?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PurpleSplat, May 14, 2005.

1. PurpleSplat

PurpleSplat Guest

I think I asked this before, but I'm not sure. :o

I eventually want to do some mods to my Jimmy. It's a 2001 2DR SLS. I have some pics if anyone really wants to see it. :o Has the roof racks which have come in handy and just has the donut spare inside.

I'm going to see if I can fit a fullsize spare inside. I think there'll be enough room.

I don't want to rice it out and I'm not going to lower it. I'm not sure if I'm going to lift it either, might just leave it where it sits, but I want to know what kind of cosmetic stuff I can add to it, but mostly I want to do engine mods.

It has the 4.3L Zortec in it. I wanted to add a K&N filter, maybe change the chip if I can, basically try to increase the HP on the truck. It's currently sitting with 190hp. I was also thinking of getting a new exhaust and maybe putting dual exhaust on it. I'm not sure how it would sound on a V6, hopefully I can get it to have a deep throaty sound. :yum: And probably change the rims, but I'm not completely sure yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IBgetridofitandbuysomethingelse

2. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Dual exhaust on a V6 may actually decrease your HP, but don't quote me on it. I'd still do the exhaust though just for the sound.

The single best bolt-on mod you can do that would be the biggest bang for the $$$ would be a supercharger or a turbo.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a 4-door blazer... almost identical to your 2-door except mine is longer. The 4.3L vortec is a good engine.

I did a K&N FIPK and I *LOST* power. I highly recommend you STAY AWAY from a full intake. I have since switched to a K&N panel filter and the stock airbox, and I recommend that. Do not hack your airbox, btw.

As for exhaust, I've done em all. Did a dynomax catback and got a slight performance increase down low, and it seems to go more smoothly throughout the rpm range. I swapped the dynomax for a magnaflow because the dynomax was so quiet (sounded stock) but the magnaflow sounded HORRIBLE!!! Very ricey. I have since settled on a custom-built cat-back with a Flowmaster 40. Love the sound. Love the performance. Stay away from duals...

The chips are WORTHLESS. Stay away from them. You don't gain any power. And can sometimes lose power.

Supercharger is the most *reliable* bang for your buck... But nitrous is the most big-bang for your buck. Overall, I say stay away from juice and forced induction alltogether, unless you really need it. Our motors are pretty strong as-is.

I have new corvette servos that I'll be installing into my valve body this week (time permitting). This will firm up my shifts a little bit.

As it is, right now, I lay rubber off the line if I floor it (automatic tranny). Great rig, and I don't regret buying it.

4. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Do you have the 4L60E?
    If so I would reccomend the corvette servo, billet OD servo, Transgo HD2 shift kit, Sonnax check valve, and GM accumulators part #24204496. Thar part number includes both that you need. However you said you were only doing the corvette servo and all of the parts I listed require you to drop your pan besides the both servos.

Anyways, smart choice on the servo, I like it a lot.

And purplesplat, I would call Allen Nelson if he can tune a chip for you. His website is http://www.nelsonperformance.com/ I have his awesome tune and have no regrets at all! Sometimes he is hard to get a hold of as he is Squires Turbo's official tuner. He is also owner of ls1truck forums and most people on fullsizechevy and gmfullsize forums love his tunes too.

5. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I just noticed you were in Canada...You may want to try Westers tune as he is in Canada too. His website is http://www.westerscustomtuning.com/index.php Him and Nelsons tune are the most debated for the best on the forums I listed in the previous post, however majority votes Nelson.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, it's the 4L60E... I didn't know about any of the other parts... I'll check them out. Thanks for the advice.

7. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Yes, all parts I bought were from www.transmissionpartsusa.com except for those GM accumulators.

here is the list I bought
    19260 Dr.TRANNY™ Assemblee GOO (Blue) 16oz. $3.20
    35098B 4L60E Valve Body Seperator Plate 1996-04. $13.91
    35935-HD2 4L60E Perfomance REPROGRAMMING KIT™ 1993-04. $78.30
    35952 TH700-R4, 4L60E Corvette Style 2-4 Servo Piston 1982-on. $9.41
    77701-076 700R4, 4L60E Servo Release Check Valve. $9.74
    GM accumulators from GM #24204496 about $24.
    However, I planned on installing all those by myself but after opening the transmission kit box, I realized I was in over my head. You may want to try it yourself but I warn you it looks very complecated.

I bought all those because on the other forums I visit, I was talking to the "transmission guru" and that is what he reccomended.
    If you want, I could pm you his AIM screenname.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm cheap, so I was considering doing it myself... But I'll prolly end up taking it to the shop. How many hours did they bill you?

9. PurpleSplat

PurpleSplat Guest

:embd: :rofl:

I get it all the time, when I ask OP if they want to see my Jimmy. :o Most of them think I mean my pen0r. :o

The 4.3L is a V6 :o But I wasn't planning on changing the size of the pipes, just adding a dual exhaust. I might wind up getting a late 60's Mustang later on, so that might be enough for my dual exhaust sound cravings. :wiggle:

10. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

if you go true duals you will loose HP.. if you want the look of duals just go with a single in dual out muffler. Sounds good, and you don't lose backpressure. check out www.machperformance.com they sell a sweet intercooled supercharger, and I think they sell the only turbo kit for the 4.3l. They also sell a lot of good bolt on parts for the 4.3. But....you can not make a ton of power with just bolt on parts with the 4.3 you'll have to go with a turbo or a S/C.

11. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I had gotten quoted from various shops in town and all ranged from $250-$350, so about 4-5 hours.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

4-5 hours puts me at $160-200... That's WAY too much for something this simple... I replaced the valve body in my fwd volvo and that didn't take 2 hours. Granted this isn't a swap-job, it's rwd and it shouldn't be too difficult.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they look REALLY overpriced. Why should someone go with a $5000 supercharger when you could go with $2400 (less than half as much!!!) from vortech, or another well-known company???

14. IntheWorks

you pay more because thier kit offers more than the vortec.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

care to elaborate?

on another note, I will not be doing the mods to my tranny... I got a brand-new GM Goodwrench 4L60E tranny with warranty for $250 installed :mamoru: I think I'll stick with that for now.

16. IntheWorks

with the vortech S/C if memory serves you get pretty much just the S/C and mounting hardware and a FMU

with the Mach kit, you get

P1-SC Self-Contained head unit--satin or polished (optional)
    3 Core Intercooler--Standard
    Intercooler tubing 3" mandrel bent
    Intercooler connecting tubes and clamps
    K & N air filter
    Inlet tubing for head unit
    Auxilary external fuel pump with fittings and hose
    FMU with static pressure adjustablity and bleed off valve, includes hose and fuel rail fittings and mounting bracket
    Surge Bypass valve with hose and fittings
    Head unit main Bracket fully CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum plate
    New Gates belt for blower
    Procharger MAF Massager, this is a electronic clamp so the high MAF DTC is not thrown.

Plus, the mach kit adds a 75% HP gaine, which is more than the vortech.