What kind of laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by striker754, Nov 9, 2003.

1. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I'm starting to look at laptops for starting college in fall 04. Of course im not gonna buy it now since technology will change, but im looking for some suggestions.

I'm going to be a mechanical engineering major, if that sways decisions any.

I want something to be able to run some high quality graphics games, all the word processing stuff, etc you know all the good shit.

Any suggestions? I was thinking a mid 2 ghz processor, 512 RAM (or more?), 40 or 80 GB HD, what video and sound card?

What operating system do you guys like? I have 2kpro right now and its pretty sweet, most of the new laptops come with XP right? is XP fairly decent? its a 2000 knockoff right?

Any brands? I've had good luck with Dell, how about you guys

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Everyone says good things about the Dell laptops. I'm not sure how many laptops are running > 2GHz right now, but I'd guess not many (can't run as fast a chip in laptops because of airflow problems), however by next fall they might be.

Personally, I'd probably go with an Apple laptop (15" G4 PowerBook for me), but since you want to game, a Mac might not be the best option.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Almost every P4 laptop available right now is a >2.0. I had to make this decision as well, although this is for work and I don't need a gaming machine. What was important to me was battery life since you'll never be guaranteed a power outlet. Centrino technology helps with this a lot - put the processors are generally slower (but not that you could tell unless you were crunching some big ass numbers). I chose a Toshiba Tecra and I'm loving it - integrated wireless and wired network cards (two separate cards), a battery that can run the DVD drive for 2.5 hours at least, 3 year warranty. I wiped this laptop of its preinstalled XP and put on 2000 but not all latops give you the drivers to do this so make sure you look into that before you buy if that's what you want to do. I guess I could have used XP, but it's a bit bloated IMHO. Why I like Toshiba is that my boss's have had good success with them, and you can pick them up at your local computer store (and drop them off if there's a problem). But Dell's are very highly rated and are recommended by my brother who has had several types of laptops for his job. I don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest.

4. Penguin Man

Yep, Toshiba makes very good stuff too. Nicest screen I've ever seen on a laptop (including Apples) is on a Toshiba, but it's 3k or 4k Canadian.

5. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I for sure want a windows based system, no apple for me.

Hows this:

Dell Inspiron 8500
    Mobile Pentium® 4 Processor,2.4GHz
    15.4 WSXGA+
    XP Professional
    512MB RAM 2 DIMM (how many slots does the motherboard in the laptop usually have?)
    64MB DDR NVIDIA® GeForce™ 4 4200 Go AGP 4X Graphics
    4x CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) including Sonic RecordNow and MyDVD LE
    60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive (spring for the bigger 80GB HD?)
    48WHr Additional Battery for Modular Bay
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Microsoft® Office Professional 2003 with Money®
    Dell SecurityCenter by McAfee® w/VirusScan Online,Firewall,Privacy,1Yr
    Floppy Drive

All for 2610 good deal?

6. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

My only recommendation is get one with a Centrino Processor (Pentium M) instead of the Pentium 4 Mobile (P4M). The PM is such an awesome design, it requires little power (long battery life, cool laptop, silent most of the time) and is still VERY powerful. 1.6Ghz PM is roughly equivalent to a Pentium 4 3.0 Desktop processor.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

You mean 1.7k plus tax right?

8. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

IBM Thinkpad with a Pentium M :o

Since you're going to be at school, you'll probably want XP Pro instead of Home.

9. Penguin Man

:confused: No, IIRC it was about 3k plus tax. $1700 plus tax is only $1819 here.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

I'm guessing you were looking at a much higher model - the one I got was 1.7k

11. Penguin Man

Yes, this was an incredible high-end model. Soooo sexy.

12. wtfzaphod

wtfzaphod New Member

Fujitsu N-3010. best screen of ANY laptop