MIL What kind of ID card am I entitled to? v.forceshaping

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THE REAL DEAL, Mar 10, 2007.

1. I got out in 2004 with an honorable discharge under the force shaping program and I was wondering what kind of ID card I can get. I went to Scott AFB and tried to get one there but they said I had to go to a reserve center in Terre Haute, IN (where I was living at the time) but I didn't ever get around to it.

I want to get a new one so I'll be able to get onto different bases and use the hotels. I don't remember if anyone said I could get an ID card before I got out but since I'm inactive reserve, I figure I might be able to get something.

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

3. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

What? Any base should be able to get you an id if you are in deers.

4. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Honestly, it seems you ran into a certified military jobsworth.

5. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

Unless you're a dependant, reserve or retired I don't see why you'd be eligible for any military issued ID card.

:dunno:

6. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Thats what I was thinking. Why would you get an ID card? Aren't you out of the military now?

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I don't think IRR get a card, much less access to base facilities.

8. ImperialShadow

ImperialShadow New Member

If you are in the IRR, then you should have an ID card until the expiration of your contract, now I'm not sure if personnel in the IRR get an actual CAC card or the old green IDs...

9. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Since when? I have never heard of this in 10 years of which 4 i was on the IRR.

10. ImperialShadow

Just because someone is in the IRR doesn't mean they are out of the service yet, (unless each branch of the service treats personnel in the IRR differently)

11. smokie700

I know the deal about IRR but I'm saying from having been AD,IRR and NG the only time i was able to have an ID was when on active duty and in national guard. I did not have an ID while on IRR and I have never heard of someone possessing a VALID id while on IRR.

12. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

in the navy you dont get a card for Inactive reserve...own you till 8 years is up but no ID after your active duty is up

13. TwoRotor7

TwoRotor7 Member

I have a reserve Id (green not cac) from the Air Force and I got out 1 Jan 05 and in the IRR Until Sept 16 2011. So maybe it depends on branch but I have one and can get on bases, use the bx/px and all that good stuff..

14. ImperialShadow

Yes you do, working in my 2nd Reserve Center and dealing with reservists on weekly basis I should know. Yes you do sign an 8 year contract but there are some who do there initial 4 years active and the other 4 either remaining on active duty or as a reservist, active or inactive, so until the contract is up you can have an ID card since you can still be recalled.

- smokie, not that probably matters now but when you were in the IRR did you try to get an ID card or were you just told you couldn't get one?

15. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

hmmm ok my bad, ive just never met anyone whos gotten out before the 8 was up to go home as inactive that has gotten to keep an ID/base privelages

16. smokie700

Here is a link for Army requirements for the ID cards

http://www.ftmeade.army.mil/idcards.html

It has the individual ready reserve but that is different from the inactive ready reserve. the individual is for people who have not gone to basic yet and the inactive is for people who have finished the active duty/m-day reservists. I do not see any mention of the Inactive ready reservists getting an id card.

Edit: I may be wrong about the inactive vs indiviual. Can someone confirm or disprove my statements above.

17. Fericide

Fericide New Member

check out this link, it should have all the information.
    not sure about if you are supposed to be able to get an ID card only at the place you seperated however, there are 3 seperate places to get ID's on scott AFB.
    The active duty the reserve and the guard all maintain seperate locations on base
    So if its more convenient you might try one of the other instead/before trying terra haute
    http://arpc.afrc.af.mil/irr/irr_standby_sections.asp

18. ImperialShadow

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/123513p.pdf

Its a DoD directive which talks about the IRR and ING, hopefully that could answer some or most of your questions, but honestly the way I see it unless your completely off of a contract your entitled to an ID card

If your still wondering about the ID card you can always get the numbers to the DEERS/RAPIDS help center and they should be able to have an answer

19. smokie700

doesn't matter for me now. I've been past my initial 8 for quite some time now, I just don't want to spread bad info.

that link doesn't state anywhere that people in the IRR are allowed ID cards and base privies. Do you have a link for that. I knwo my link shows what is required to get an ID but i want to see where it states IRR are allowed to have one.

20. ImperialShadow

Off of the link you posted, if you want something more official than that it'll have to wait till I go into work tomorrow if I get a chance to look it up

Proper identification and documentation are required for services to be provided. Please select your category below to view required documents for identification card issuance.

INDIVIDUAL READY RESERVE
    Enlistment contract, Assignment Commissioning Oath

21. smokie700

Yeah i know but that is where i was getting confused because another DOD site listed Individual Ready Reserve as people who have contracted but not completed basic training.

22. ImperialShadow

Please show it to me, that makes no sense at all, but anywho here is another link I found by googling it

http://arpc.afrc.af.mil/irr/irr_standby_sections.asp

23. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Um my buddy got an ID after completing his active duty of 4 years :hsugh: .

24. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

My bud got out last year and he has an ID card

25. that's exactly what i needed to know. where did you go to get yours though? i'm pretty sure i have to go to a reserve center that has deers. i just want an ID card so i can use hotels at bases where hotels outside the base are really expensive. i went to panama city last month and i could have saved a shit load of money if i could have stayed in the hotel at tyndall instead of staying at a hotel on the beach.

sorry i didn't reply earlier but i forgot that i had made this thread