what kind of experience have you had with apple support?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, Feb 14, 2008.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i find myself using their warranties very, very often.

this is probably because the genius bar makes it so accessible, but also because the products seem to have problems.

i wonder if i'm being unreasonable- but i bring my computer in any time there's something even slightly wrong with it. i figure i paid a premium for a premium product and also a premium for an extended warranty, so the thing shouldn't just gradually get crappier as time passes.

right now my macbook pro is out for repair - the 2nd time they've fixed the LCD for the same issue (darker around the edges), and the 3rd time they've replaced it overall. i've also been telling them that i think it gets unacceptably hot and something should be done.

so, now it's been at the repair depot for 12 days waiting for a new LCD. i'm on the phone asking about them just giving me a new / refurb.

is it asking too much?

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Being able to goto an Apple Store to have your machine serviced means many more repairs then if you had say a Dell and needed to call and talk to support and then get approval and then mail it in to get your machine serviced. I don't think that Macs break down more then any others (in fact my personal experience has been quite the opposite) but having the ability to goto someone local and get it repaired may mean you're more likely to have it repaired should even a small issue arise.

I can say my MBP is dark around the edges of the LCD too. As for getting "unacceptably hot" chances are it gets just as hot as everyone else's machine. Mac laptops have always been known for that ever since the move was made to metal cases. People have cooked bacon and eggs on PowerBooks and the MacBook Pros get even hotter. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

3. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

well, the dark around the edges thing is really crappy. it shouldn't happen...i know this because they keep replacing it when it happens.

as for the heat - when i try the same stuff on my girlfriend's macbook or my sister's ibook - no such heat. no blazing fans.

i spoke to a "level 2" tech at apple about it, and he gave me some story about how my MBP had engineering that "wasn't really perfected yet" and that it's been "improved." i knew it was Rev. A when i bought it, but that's the reason why i spent money on applecare.

i dunno. i don't want to be some douchebag consumer who just pumps corporations for free shit, but i also want my $2000 computer to function. ipods might be "disposable" in how they degrade over a year, but not a $2k laptop.

4. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

The fact that the MB and iBook are plastic probably helps insulate the heat better. :dunno:

My Ti PB got pretty warm, but no where near as hot as my friends MBP.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

I've had my dvd burner go down in 2 mac pros, and i've had a tech come out next day and repair it for me....

so far, it's treated me well :dunno:

6. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

got screwed over by applecare when my ipod Classic arrived (had scratches on screen) had to eventually go to an apple store and replace (Manhattan beach store rocks!) they did however replace the battery for the Macbook when it had its problems and just recently, my iMac G5 power supply died on me, took it to a authorized service provider and had it back in 4 days.

Applecare phone support is pretty good , (iPod phone support is routed to india(HORRIBLE), mac/iphone is done here in the states (EXCELLENT))

7. RLich8

RLich8 New Member

I've always had pretty good luck with the support. The Apple Care phone support has been phenomenal, no issues what so ever. I called today for an iPhone issue. I explained the issue to the service rep. Basically what happened is I dropped the phone on accident. That was back in October. It dented right around the power button. But since the phone still works perfectly, if I ever have issues in the future they will probably be able to help me out.

The Genius bar has also always been pretty good to me. I've never had a serious issue with any of my computers, but I have had to go to them a couple of times for help. They were always pretty accommodating. Even though it wasn't something very serious, they still took their time with me and made sure that I was satisfied with the help I was getting.

Sometimes I think the Genius bar gets pretty bogged down and that's why the support seems less than adequate to some customers. Remember, the 10-15 minute appointment they give you right off the bat is a FREE service. They will help you with as much as they can at no charge, which is pretty remarkable. Yes, we do technically pay for it with the initial purchase of the product, but they could be real jackasses and charge us a "consultation" or "diagnosis" fee. So that is something to keep in mind as well.

In the end I wouldn't call it perfect support but it is at least above average. Being able to walk into a store or local certified repair shop at my own leisure whenever I have any sort of an issue is pretty nice. I've never dealt with or owned a Dell personally but being that they don't have retail outfits that offer support like Apple does, I'd imagine it's probably a via mail, or in home repair sort of thing. And I'm sure they don't just send someone in your home for every little issue.

So yeah, Apple support isn't really all that bad, at least in my opinion. Maybe my view would be different if I had a more serious issue, but there you go.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  8. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

they traded my first iphone out because oh a dead pixel, and then my second one out because of bad reception

traded my ipod out because it wouldnt play songs right after i paused it

never had a trouble with computers

so in my experience, apple customer support > *

9. Budha

Budha Guest

I called in apple today for tech support... helped me out and got everything fixed within 30 mins...

10. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

top shelf

11. fukijama1

fukijama1 OT Supporter

i had mailed my macbook for repairs on monday and had it back by wednesday all fixed. phone support is just a good. best support i have experienced hands down.

12. Kramp Easy Lube

Kramp Easy Lube Cause = Time OT Supporter

A certain spot on my iphone stopped to work and I took it in, walked out with a new phone 10 minutes after my appointment started.

Aside from that, I haven't had any problems with my macbook/iphone.

13. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I've had good experience, but I was on the other end of the phone :hsugh: