what kind of ET's will i make ?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Big'Un, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Big'Un

Big'Un "Just once i would like to dine at an American pin

okay about a week and a half ago i bought a bone stock 92 LX 5.0 HO with a 5speed.

since i bought it i have added:

BBK CAI
    BBK long tube headers
    BBK OR H Pipe
    Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back
    MAC underdrive pulleys (crank, water pump, alt)
    255 ultra z tires
    Ford motorsport 8mm wires
    autolite plugs

the car feels really nice and sounds mean as fuck, but i dont know what kind of times to expect..what do you think id hit on a good run? realistically

2. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

mid 14's at about 95 mph

3. Big'Un

you think so? i hope so...that isnt exactly what i call fast but its on the way. in a couple weeks im gonna do 373's and some drag radials i might toss a bottle in there too.

4. AcidAngel_5.0

you will be in the area
    i have an 88 GT and ran a 14.7 at 94.8 mph
    but i had alot of wheels spin so probably coulda got a 14.4 on a perfect pass. gears + slicks will put u in the high 13s

tomorrow i leave to put on a TFS h/c/i ;)

5. Big'Un

cool...im gonna go put my tires on tonight...they arent drag tires, but they are better than the old ass 215's that are on there....im putting on a 255 so hopefully i can hook it up a lil. i wanna do 373's and some 275 comp TA's....and i think i could see 13's...then do H/C/I as well and try to knock out high 12's

6. Big'Un

oh...and i looked up specs on mustangs..it said the 92's were 225 hp and 300 ft lbs stock...is that true and if so, why the HP difference between foxes?

7. Big'Un

ok, so i ran 16's all fucking night...besides the fact that i cant launch for shit, my car does not seem to be running right...i think it may be too rich but i dont know...im pretty dissappointed right about now

8. AcidAngel_5.0

87 - 92 are 225/300 or should be with in that range..
    some places will say 225/285..

the late model 92 and the 93 cars had hyperpistons instead of forged witch dropped the hp about 10 so thats why i you will see a lil difference..
    if your gonna be modding the car you need to get forged.. hyper is a no no.. i guess you could still do it but i would advise not.

16's? yea that is pretty crappy.. is the car AOD? or 5 speed?
    was it hot? humid?

9. Big'Un

5spd....yes it was hot..im in phx and it was kinda humid.....but i was getting beat every time by an 88 5.0 convertable. he was running like a 15.9 and he just had mufflers and AOD with 130k miles. i eventually will get deep into the motor but im just starting out with this thing. my car just feels like its running like shit...it doesnt feel strong at all and 16's are unnacceptable....i think one of my biggest problems is traction. I cant launch at 2500 cuz the fuckin thing damn near stalls, then anything over 3k i mash the pedal and spin the shit outta them. my best time was like a 16.1 at 87mph with a 555 light...even though i had a good light, it was still a fucked up launch.

10. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L I live in an igloo

What was your 60' times on your runs?

11. Big'Un

ok, im gonna sound like a tool, but im not sure which one is my 60's i never really paid attention to those...there are like 4 sets of numbers on the slip starting at T1 is that the 60'?

12. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

I can't remember where on the timeslip the 60' is, if you have the timeslip handy, can you just write the whole slip out on here? Your 60' should be a number between 1.5 seconds (crazy traction, usually only with slicks), up to 3.0 seconds (basically spinning the whole way down the track).

13. Big'Un

out of 12 runs...my 60's went from 2.46 to 2.98

14. AcidAngel_5.0

drop those down.. thats whats hurting you.. best thing to do is just drive the car and learn it. i had a 60 of like 2.1 or 2.2 with my stock car from a normal street start... (im not great on dumping the clutch.. i cant get the right rpm.. lol)

15. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

Yup, your 60' is one problem. Basically for every 1/10th of a second you can drop that, your ET will drop by 2/10ths.

If you could get traction and drop the 2.46 down to a 1.96, your ET should go from 16.1 to 15.1.

Still, 87mph is still kinda weak for a trap speed. I see you have new plugs and wires. Have you checked other tune-up items, like air filter or fuel filter? If either are clogged/dirty, that could be holding you back.

Also, when launching on street tires, you HAVE to slip the clutch, if you just dump it, all you will do is spin (probably why your 60's are so high). If you can get slicks, then dump away :bigthumb:

16. Big'Un

im gonna get some compt ta's eventually, but im still learning to drive the car. i fixed my problem though. my timing was sooooo fucking off....it was retarded like 4-5 degrees. i fixed a vacuum leak and set my timing to 10* and now it feels fucking awesome...now it feels like a 14 sec car...im gonna goto the track prolly next week, maybe even this wednesday....i dont know how my timing got off soo bad but it has been played with at some point on this car....i think that between a few vacuum leaks and all the shit i put on it at once threw it off? either way, it runs fuckin awesome and ill let you know how the times come out when i head back to the track.

17. AcidAngel_5.0

bump the car to 14*

18. AcidAngel_5.0

oh yea.. run premium gas to

19. Big'Un

my car likes 100ll aviation fuel....i have no cats so its all good..i work at a small airport and i get it really cheap. how much of a difference will i notice at 14*?

20. AcidAngel_5.0

stock is around 8* and i bumped mine up with just having full exhuast and pullies and i could definatly feel more power out of it..
    i run 93 gas and everything is fine..

100 huh? wanna send me some :)

aww my car should be ready by friday so i can drive!.. mmm.. yummy 400hp 5.0 :yum:

21. Big'Un

lol 400 hp would be nice. that aviation fuel is the shiznit...i put 91 pump gas in my car today.....the difference is definitely noticeable, but i run through 100ll so damn fast.

22. Village Idiot

Village Idiot OT Supporter

My 89 LX hatch went 14.40 @ 96mph bone stock right down to the 225 Goodyear eagles. Now the motor from that car is in my Notch and runs 12.30's @ 112 with mildly ported GT40 iron heads, custom cam etc......... Should be very near or into the 11's once the weather cools and I tune it a little more. I'm nearing the 400hp mark but my motor has about 188k miles on it and needs a rebuild. :hs:

23. Big'Un

damn, thats pretty impressive. i wasnt able to run friday night cuz i got out to the track and they were closed due to a power outage...i was kinda pissed, its like a 45 min drive from my house. Anyway, i dont think ill run a 14.40, but who knows. on tuesday im adding a trick flow intake and a 70mm mass air. that should shave another thenth or two off. and in 2 weeks its getting my rear end rebuilt and im getting 373's

24. Village Idiot

Village Idiot OT Supporter

3.73's are a good street gear or if you plan to run a power adder like n2o or a supercharger. I wouldn't bother putting the Trickflow intake on a motor with stock heads as there would be a huge mis-match between the two. Here's the trick for little investment. Set your base timing around 14 to 16 degrees initial and if you're daring retard the stock cam 4 to 6 degrees Add more gear like 4.10's, and C&L 76mm or Pro-m 77mm mass air. Beg or borrow some slicks, launch at 5500 rpm or more and drive it like you hate it and you should see low-low 13's and if you're extremely lucky/talented high 12's:cool:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  25. Big'Un

haha hell yeah. the trick flow i was gonna buy got sold so it looks like gears will be this weeks mod. i dont wanna go over a 373 simply cuz it is a daily and right now i drive 15 mi to school everyday. i think im gonna SC this thing at the end of the month but im not sure yet.

do those mass air setups really make that much of a difference? and is it worth it to use a 77mm on stock injectors?