what kind of equipment would I need for online database

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HardTech, Jun 16, 2003.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

there are two campus bookstores near my school, and they have an oligopoly relationship with each other. They share market shares every semester, which is illegal.

I was thinking about building a website where students can either sell the books they have or browse for books they need. Kind of like a classifieds, but strictly for my school and strictly for books.

I'm assuming that I need some sort of web software as the front end and some database program as a backend. I'll be taking a database class in the fall and we'll work with Excel and Oracle (I already have experience in Excel)

what kind of front-end stuff would I need? Would ASP work for what I need?

Also, would it be better to upload that to some host or actually run it off of a server somewhere close to me? I'll only be able to afford cable and I don't know if my service provider allows that

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

my school set something like that up using php and mysql.

i wasnt involved in it cause im banned from any cissa activities (cis, student assocation). but it sounds like it works/ed well.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

You could use MySQL and whichever programming language you want. You can't use Excel for this though, maybe you're thinking about Access. :dunno:

Cable would probably work out fine as long as it wasn't being used by too many people at the same time. Running servers off of cable/dsl service is a :nono: , but if you don't take up too much bandwidth they won't even notice.

4. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

It's simple and easy. The side where they can offer books would be easy. Wouldn't be any work for you, you could just create scripts so they could list it like ebay. If I were you I would use PHP and MYSQL. Don't bother with ASP, it's not easy to learn like PHP and MYSQL is. As far as hosting goes, check out a hosting provider online. Don't go with your ISP, they will rip you off! We offer very low rates for hosting and you get more than everything you need. PM Me if your interested. It's really just a matter of creating a website with information. Then creating a signup script for members. Then creating several aspects of the script like listings, searches, etc. It's not complicated and it can be done without much knowledge of programming.

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

yeah, I was talking about access... oops

I was wanting to get a host so I can use my own domain name.

so basically, here's what I'll need?:
    Server
    Database software
    website software (php/mysql?)
    host

anything else?

and hotridezcom, what kind of deals do you have going on now? If my idea takes off, I probably won't be able to set it up for a few months at least, until I can learn how to do all of the computer stuff myself.

6. HardTech

HardTech hungry

also, would I need an actual host with e-mail forwarding and bandwidth and all that or would a domain name suffice if I were to have my own server?

(I'm completely new to this kind of stuff)

7. CompiledMonkey

Don't think it's as easy as HotRidezcom makes it out to be. If you want it done properly, using a couple of scripts isn't an option. Have you ever done any real web programming before? If you want to have people creating accounts, listing books, buying books, etc through the web, you're going to need a decent application to handle all of this. Of course you could always just have users create accounts and give them the option of listing their books. You can leave the actual transaction up to the users outside of your application. This is probably the best idea unless you've already done payments on the web. If you go that route, you'd need only a few tables in the database and a couple of pages for your site. It makes things much simpler.

As for what you'll need...

* Server. You can get an old crappy box and use it. Get a virtual hosting account. Or maybe you can get some box space on a server at your school. I know the ISY department at my school has our own datacenter.

* Database. I would seriously go with MySQL. It's free and will work great for your project.

* Web Server Software. Depending on which technology you chose, you can use Apache, IIS, or Apache/Tomcat. All would do just fine.

That's really all I can think of at the moment.

8. CompiledMonkey

I don't use that stuff. I bought a domain from godaddy.com and use free a DNS service at zoneedit.com. I just forward everything to my external IP and it works fine. For email, I just give out my school email address on my sites. :dunno:

9. HardTech

HardTech hungry

hmm.. I didn't really think about making accounts.

The only web programming I've done is a class on HTML and CSS. I'd like to learn more about web programming and take a few classes, but I don't think my school offers it.

I have an old [email protected] that's not being in serious use right now that I could dedicate to the website.

10. CompiledMonkey

You'd need to have a way for books to belong to users. Accounts are a must. Which programming languages are you best at? From that, I can help you find a web language.

That box would be perfect. Just install an older distro of Linux (or Windows if you've never used Linux), get MySQL installed, buy a domain, register with ZoneEdit, and you'll almost be ready. ;)

11. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I know html pretty well, but I don't think I'd make the site with it.

I'm pretty good at VB 6, and I've taken a class in Java (but did horribly)

12. CompiledMonkey

No matter which programming language you use, the site itself would still be designed using HTML/CSS. If you know VB really well (I'm assuming VBScript too), ASP would be a good choice. Not exactly my choice because I don't like having a lot of code in my presentation pages (called scriptlets). I use JSP/Servlets because I can keep the presentation and processing code seperate. You know, this is giving me an idea. Maybe I should make something similar for my school. I could make it open source so everybody could use it.

13. HardTech

HardTech hungry

:squint: :)

I don't know VBScript, but I don't imagine it'd be that much different or a whole lot more material than what I was taught in VB. I just ran into a friend who has dabbled with Basic for a long time, and he said ASP isn't much different from VB either.

I'd still like to know the relationship between host and server and internet and all that stuff. It's one thing to have somebody tell you that you need a domain and virtual host, but it's an entirely different thing to know how one interacts with each other and the roles they play.

14. CompiledMonkey

If you host your own server at home...

* You'll need a domain name. The domain name is pointed to your DNS.

* Your DNS comes from Zone Edit. They provide free DNS services. The DNS points to the external IP address of your computer (modem, router, etc).

* You'll need a router that fowards port 80 to the internal IP of the box the website is running off of.

I'm not really sure how else to explain it. :dunno:

15. HardTech

HardTech hungry

that's exactly what I was looking for.. thanks ;)

16. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

If you're expecting more then your friends to use the site, I'd go with outside hosting (if its just friends, you can explain to them why it was down or it was running slow and they won't mind - people you don't know will just get ticked and won't come back to your site).

Second trick is whats your upload stream bandwidth like? My upstream sucks - its enough for one person to browse my Linux box, but anything more just grinds things to a hault.

You should be able to find some cheap hosting for PHP and MySQL (its a popular setup).

Can you do this on your own? Maybe. Only if you're willing to invest a lot of time and research into understanding:

- the scripting language (PHP for example)
    .. sessions
    .. database connectivity
    .. cookies
    .. script/application security
    .. user authentication/validation/tools
    .. form data handling/validation
    .. file uploading? (image of book?)
    .. backend to manage all the data
    .. secure payment/CC processing

- the database engine (MySQL for example)
    .. create new DB
    .. design DB
    .. manage tables and data
    .. backups
    .. secure payment

- the web server (probably Apache)
    .. security (mainly for the application if you're with an ISP)
    .. web tricks if desired (custom error pages, script hiding, etc - this is getting fancy)
    .. SSL if doing online processing

- web design, CSS, HTML
    .. site is equal opportunity browser friendly
    .. looks professional (if thats your goal)
    .. mobile device friendly?
    .. follow some form of HTML/CSS standards

Not impossible and I think would be a pretty good first time project depending on how motivated you.

Best thing to do probably is to sit down and start jotting down what info you want to have the site display. And then drill in on it. Example:

- I want an ebook site.
    - I want to allow users to browse ebooks, buy them, and download them
    - When browsing, they browse by subject
    - When browsing, they can toggle how many books to display to a page
    - When browsing, they can click on a book and they see the following:
    .. title
    .. author
    .. ISBN (or eISBN)
    .. price
    .. nav buttons for purchase, preview/details
    .. pic of book if available

This can go on and on for as long as you like. Everything up till 'title' I usually do in one form or another in my head - and I do it at goofy times like when driving or waiting for something. This info will make up your site navigation and content. Where you see 'title' and beyond is different. This is special stuff. This will mostlikely be the data you put in the database. I tend to write this down and group the data together how I see fit (and regroup until I'm happy). Doing this leads to the table design. I setup the tables and then start writing code for the site... You're mileage may vary.

The other option is see if someone has already written this. It may be an app you can just drop onto the server and go (doubtful, but who knows - maybe you find a configurable shopping cart and that might work perfectly too).

Good luck!

17. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I'd rather learn all of that stuff myself, it'd look pretty badass on a resume.

hm.. that just gave me another idea. Have the customer pay me, and I'll pay the seller of the book and keep some for revenue. thank you so much :)

I'll keep you guys updated as to how things go. I e-mailed a professor and asked him where I could go to learn all of this stuff

18. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Well it's not easy, sorry I said that. It's only easy if you look at it from my angle. Anywho the other guy explained alot. We are running some good deals but I know people get mad when people post links. But since you asked, www.dkahost.com is our firm site. No matter what you do as far as hosting your going to want your own email, domain and all that stuff that you were asking about since you will have some kind of fletch ecommerce site.