what kind of car do you prefer??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by c0dyblah, Jul 21, 2007.

1. c0dyblah

c0dyblah New Member

as in rwd, 4wd/awd, fwd, and not forgetting about those mid engines.

post pics if you guys wish to make it interesting. of cars you own/owned/want to own

i would make it in to a poll. but it didn't work out for me. getting use to the forum still

i personally myself have a miata. and its a car i've had the longest (after 2 ae86s, and a 240sx s13 ). yea flame on the stereotype of that car, but i at least try to make it look as manly as possible(cage, aero(soon), and other niknaks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

For a performance car I want RWD, for a daily driver I want FWD.

3. dangerflammable

dangerflammable New Member

i <3 my mk2 mr2

4. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I love RWD for Daily Driver and for Performance.

I currently own a 300zx Z31, I wouldn't mine owning an RX-7, ae86 gts, MR2 (80's or 90's), Z32, Z33, G35, GTR, and many more. Pretty much any Japanese RWD car that I fit in and enjoy driving.

I have drive RWD and FWD in the snow, and to be honest, I rather be in a RWD car, for some reason I feel safer and more comfortable.

5. c0dyblah

c0dyblah New Member

yea but its weird, ppl say fwd is alot more safer(i dont know)...but hell i'd rather oversteer than understeer anyday, cause at least with an oversteer you can correct, and have a little fun while you're at it

6. dofu

dofu New Member

i like rwd, but i would like to get an awd for my next car

7. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

wholly lurker thread. but I like the feel of RWD

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

RWD though I currently have a FWD.

9. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

my M3 is rwd obviously, I would like to get an AWD daily driver though.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't much care about which wheels drive the car. My Passat can oversteer and it's FWD, so fuck it. I just want to be able to pass other people quickly and have good handling.

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i like RWD and i have had fun in AWD as well

12. ChosenGSR

power oversteer in fwd ftw.

13. E-dub

E-dub New Member

You will never be able to oversteer while accelerating with FWD. There are only two ways to oversteer with FWD; inertia change via swerving one and twitching the wheel opposite or pulling the e-brake, neither of which requires the gas pedal. Tighten up the rear sway bar and over inflate the rear tires and you get a little closer but no where near RWD.

14. FrozenSTi

FrozenSTi This site WILL get me in trouble......

I'm all about the AWD mainly since I want performance in my 8 months of winter.

And yes, I know that FWD and RWD work fine in the winter, but AWD allows you more ability in snow and ice.

15. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

For those that say RWD is fine in the rain or snow what the hell are you smoking? RWD is scary as shit in the rain/snow....especially in a sports car. My cars rear end is so light that in the rain I get 0 traction and just fishtail it around every turn. I love RWD for dry pavement and its the best option for over all performance but for a daily driver i'll be happy with FWD or even AWD.

16. Do you drive around at full throttle all the time?

17. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Agreed, a true sports car with REAL rear tires (none of this 245 pussyshit, minimum 275's to play) is scary as hell to drive in the rain and especially the snow. Highway winter driving is out of the question, throttle modulation or not.

18. deusexaethera

You haven't driven my Passat, have you? I guarantee you, I can enter an exit ramp, floor the gas, build up speed, and have to counter-steer to keep from spinning out. The angle isn't extreme, but oversteer is oversteer.

Anyway, yes, I have extra anti-sway on the rear axle. The non-drive axle should always have more anti-sway than the drive axle.

19. I don't have any trouble at all in the rain. So long as you know what you're doing and don't jump on the gas while you're turning you're fine.

20. E-dub

E-dub New Member

This assumes perfect roadway. My four 295's like to hydroplane more often than not with a healthy sheen of H2O. A careful foot and a feel for the edge of control loss has gained me the ability to make due. But for all weather driving AWD is preferred.

That is not physically possible. You are probably changing the inertia of your vehicle acutely during this activity as there is no way a FWD car can oversteer from the application of acceleration/power alone. The car can be "thrown" sideways and then power applied which can sometimes pull the car forward given enough traction, but most of the time this ends in violent understeer and a loss of the intended driving line.

As for your sway bar comment, it depends on what you are doing, your power level, your drive-wheel layout, your tire size stagger, your race/driving environment, etc.

21. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

For all those who said RWD is scary in snow or rain... My car is very light in the back, it is just a matter of throttle control and steering.

1) Get going in 2nd gear if your car has the power
    2) Use the E-Brake to stop the wheel with no traction from spinning
    3) Be very light on the throttle and no sharp movements

I drove in a really nasty rain storm for a few hours, just went 55-65mph and I made it home safe and sound. That was all in a RWD car that is very light in the back.

22. ChosenGSR

I've been driving BMWs in the winter/snow for the last 4 years. I have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3s mounted on a spare set of rims, works just fine for me.

23. deusexaethera

I really don't want to get into a pissing contest, but suffice it to say in a hard corner the inside rear tire is lifted off the ground by the extra-strong swaybar in the back, and the car starts oversteering.

Like I said, it can too be done.

24. E-dub

E-dub New Member

You just proved my point, the corner caused a change in the inertia of your vehicle, letting the rear give way first because of the stiffer sway bar, not because of the power/acceleration. If you were to floor it at this point you would do nothing but plow.

25. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

RWD, but my present car is an Integra

This is not correct. Many FWD cars which are set up to be sporting (Integra Type R) rather than dull and safe (Ford Taurus) will oversteer without a whole lot of trouble given good speed and throttle lift through a corner. (This almost got me in big trouble a few weeks ago taking an offramp too fast in the rain, but my reflexes prevailed.)

True a FWD car won't power-on oversteer, but why you would particularly want that I'm not sure, unless for drifting or generally hooning around.

Admittedly, it improves vehicle dynamics greatly to have different wheels doing the accelerating and steering provided you understand how to control it; that, without giant sledding tires, made my 240SX an absolute joy to drive in snow.