What is your Web Development Toolset?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I use Firebug to debug a shrink-wrap Perl/Catalyst application with AJAX/JS bells and whistles. Before Firebug this was extremely difficult, as I am used to my Perl/Java code being corrected in my IDE, and I have no such tool for JS. With Firebug, along with Catalyst/DBIx::Class's debug information, I can monitor my application's execution from the client side code, to the network communications, to the server script execution, to the database queries, and back. This makes my job much, much easier than it would otherwise be.

I use EPIC/Eclipse to do Perl. I use Dreamweaver sometimes to do HTML, but I hate it as I end up fighting it three times as long as it takes to write the code by hand, so I end up doing it by hand in a split screen window.

What do you guys use? I still don't have a JS IDE that will do syntax checking of any kind. I don't even have syntax highlighting for JS. Is there such a thing for Eclipse?

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Firefox w/ FireBug, the web-dev toolbar, livehttpheaders, DOM inspector.

KDE's kate text editor.

On the server side, apache w/ PHP and mysql. I haven't done much with PHP in a while, but it's always handy for setting the odd header or simple things like that. No need for a framework.

Opera for testing. And IE6 too sometimes (thanks to IEs 5 Linux and wine), but usually it's just out of interest for how badly it supports the W3C standards I (generally) write against.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

What do you use to debug your server-side code?

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

echo () I guess, heh.

But I haven't done anything non-trival in PHP in a long time.