What is your take on the engine of the car I am looking to buy? (LS1 related)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TrevorK, Jun 8, 2006.

1. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

I'm looking at buying a car with a LS1 drivetrain swapped in - details below.

Any comments on the engine or tranny? Something I should change? Something I should look out for? Or does it look like a solid combo?

And any ideas on power it would put out (It'll come tuned I'm told, by the seller using HPTuners)? Any room for future upgrades, or is this thing pretty much done, engine wise, without upgrading the internals/stroking it?

I've dealt mainly with carb'ed V8's and fuel injected 4 cylinders, so this is new territory for me....

Engine

30k mile short block ls1
    double rollmaster timing chain
    tsp 231/237 camshaft
    patriot stage II heads with double springs
    hardened pushords
    ls6 intake painted silver
    ported throttle body
    37lb delphi injectors
    hawks long tube cost a fortune headers
    99 plastic gas tank
    ported maf ends
    custom 3.5" steel intake with 4" k&N filter

Tranny
    6 speed from a 99, 30k miles
    spec stage III clutch with no miles on it

2. looks like its all out of a 99 model, the clutch hydralics arent the greatest in those. Also when he did the cam did he replace the oil pump? Most people do and I've heard of early LS1 oil pumps failing :dunno:

There's always more you can do with cam/heads but not much if you want to drive it daily. Powerwise :dunno: I think heads/cam ls1's dyno in the 450 rwhp range? not sure.

What is it in?

3. V!

V! New Member

Yeah, the 99 LS1 engine isn't the best year to get.

I see room for improvement with a bigger cam and Stage 3 heads

4. well to be fair most of the stuff he would have gotten on an 01-02 is already installed. BTW when did that problem with the oil pump stop?

5. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

It's in a 92 GTA.

Yeah - he replaced the oilpump as well (I didn't list it).

I'm driving it daily in the summer - so that's my biggest concern. I think if the power levels are near 400RWHP that's probably all it can handle on the street, even with it's 295's out back......?

6. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

Is there a lot of improvement with those upgrades while still being streetable?

7. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

Streetable is a relative term for the most part...... streetable means what you are willing to put up with to drive it daily.

You can definitely get more power out of heads and cams.... but the Cam is what will have the biggest effect on streetability. The specs on that cam will be pretty streetable.

My guess is you will be well over the 400 rwhp mark. A local guy a LS1 GTA swap, and similar mods is running in the mid 11's.

Great thing about 3rd gens is that they are lighter than 4th gens. This car sounds like a winner.

Where is it currently located?

8. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

It's located in Saskatchewan right now.

Good to hear - I was hoping it would make a nice daily driver in the summer time. My only concern is gas mileage, but in all fairness, I've been driving a carb'ed Z28 for the past 5 or 6 summers, so it can't get worse than that.

9. ejawodo

ejawodo New Member

Is this the car from TheFBody.com? If so it looks pretty nice, but I'd be curious as to why he is selling the project before he has finished it.

10. formul8

formul8 New Member

VERY COOL! LS1 into thirdgens is great swap. :bigthumb: