A&P what is your philosophy behind PP?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FlashhslaF, Jun 20, 2008.

1. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

how much PP do you do to your pictures and what determines it. Do you ever use PP as a crutch and if so, do you then feel it sort of undermines your ability as a photographer or the opposite?

In general what your thoughts and philosophy on PP and how should a photographer use it to better his pictures if that is the intentions?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I usually just straighten my photos, crop, make the colors pop a bit (depending on the type of photo), and then unsharp mask if they aren't looking sharp.

Occasionally I'll do something over the top if I'm really bored or just want something different.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I view PP as another tool in my camera bag.

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Fix contrast, WB and that's about it really.

5. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

The reason this thought came up is that, last weekend i was in california for my cousin's engagement and here is what gets me....I took about 600 pictures, out of those narrowed it down to 200 and out of those I'd say about 80 - 100 or so were taken with a forethought to produce the image i wanted. The other pictures were taken at random, without any intention and i ended up PPing them quite a bit to make something out of them.

I showed them the pictures and they were all very impressed, while I know in the back of my mind how crappy some of those shots were that I had to save in PP. For example i had few blurry shot that i converted to b&w so i can give it an 'artsy' feel.

Given that I've only been taking pictures for about 5 months, I'm certain that i want to improve my pictures in a way that I take a picture with the intention of what i want to do with it in PP.

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Well, in the mean time you can and will be better with time, but for now as long as the client is happy, you've done your job.

7. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i use it to enhance the look i was going for when i composed the pic.

why do anything else?

8. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

PS and LR are just digital darkrooms. I use as much creative input as I feel necessary.

9. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

thanks for the encouragement :hs:

They are happy without a question...they also had their main photographer they flew in from Canada, was a very cool guy...gave me some tips.

10. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I see it as a great tool. I don't like overboard stuff, but cleaning up, cropping, fixing colors/contrast/white balance and other essential parts of a photo is just as imortant as having a good lens in my bag vs. a kit lens!

11. themolsen

themolsen New Member

12. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

i try to avoid leaving things that can easily be done in camera to be fixed in post. This is just a way to save me time later.

Other than that, i'll use lightroom and PS however i feel to get the look that i want. Whether that means simple global adjustments or heavy compositing.

13. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

PP is just another tool. A digital darkroom. When you're PP'ing your photos you should be able to pick out things you could have gotten right when you took the shot. Strive to fix those things the next time.