What is your opinion on the AMD Turion for notebooks? Good laptops?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mds2004, Jun 16, 2005.

1. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I am researching on what laptops would meet my needs and I happened to bump into the term AMD Turion. I have yet to hear of it so I am asking your opinions. I am still doing some more reading on it.

Also, is Acer a good brand for a laptop? Price limit is around $2500 as I do not plan on buying this right away. I am planning on buying this around Christmas time.

Basically what I am looking for is a laptop that is decently fast that I will not need to upgrade soon. I am looking for at least 1GB of ram, and a decent video card. I think this x700 will suffice. Some visually apealing is not an issue however would be a plus.

One of the laptops I am interested is the :whelp: Acer Ferrari 4000.
    Here are a couple links to this laptop:
    http://www.amdboard.com/ferrari_4000.html
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=265225&affiliate=shopping
    I am also looking at Sager laptops.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Acer is crap.

Sager is also junk. They constantly break, and they have HORRIBLE fit and finish.

I would stick with the Intel Pentium M. You will not beat it's performance or battery life.

3. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Thanks for the quick reply. What brand of laptop would you suggest to meet the needs I suggested above. I want it to be reliable. This laptop will be a desktop replacement, however also something I can bring with me when I am out of town.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I will only buy Asus if I need a PC notebook.

5. diranged

diranged New Member

I have the Acer Ferrari 3400+ and its bad ass... the 4000+ is on its way to me, and I expect it to be much better. Its almost 1lb lighter, and has better battery life. I can only say good things about the Ferrari line of laptops from Acer.

6. diranged

diranged New Member

:ugh:

7. Capa

Capa New Member

all my home systems are AMD .......but my notebook is Centrino.......its really the best bet....lighter....longer lasting charge.....and just really nice all around......