SRS What is your family like?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Aug 23, 2007.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Just post some replies of how your family functioned when you were a kid and as of today. What role did the members play? What flaws did you see in your family members? What brought your parents together? What would you change? What is your perspective on your family? Good or fucked up? In terns of quality, how do you view your own background? Things of that nature.

2. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

my mother and father aren't close. and i am not close to them.

my sister has been addicted to heroin for 6 years.

my other sister is an angel, never even drank, has a fantastic life and is pampered by my parents

i love my pet dog

i consider my FRIENDS my family, not this stupid group of 4 other people

3. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

the cops were called on nearly a daily basis and i often went to sleep wondering if I'd be murdered by a family member while I slept

5. Ready

Ready New Member

Parents divorced when I was 5.

Lived with my Mom and younger brother for years. My mom eventually had a breakdown because of the stress, but she recovered.

She now lives with her new husband and my brother. I moved away nearly 4 years ago.

We were poor, but pretty content.

6. IHAMWETARDDID

IHAMWETARDDID "We could make babies and accidental songs..."

My mom and dad seperated when I was 7.

Dad spent 9 years in prison and is an ex Vietnam Vet, 100% disabled from the war.

They officially divorced 13 years later when I was 20.

Mom is remarried to her best friends exhubby.

Dad is dating his girlfriend from before he went to war, when he was 17 y/o.

I have two half brothers (once from each parent) One is a pediatric oncologist for university of St. Louis the other one, Brandon, passed away almost exactly 2 years ago (miss him like hell, he was my best friend)

One sister, were 11 months apart, complete opposites she lives with "mommy".

7. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

Mom and dad are still married after 40 years but hate each other, have never been close.

My sister is married and has one kid.

My brother and I are both childfree and constant party animals. I think the fact that we grew upin a house where we never saw any affection plays a big part in the reason why both my brother and I are both single and really don't care much about it. We simply don't want to end up like our parents.

I don't think my sister's marriage is particularly affectionate either but I'm not close to my sister so I don't really know. But that is just the impression I get.

8. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

My mom took $1400 from me to "help with the bills" because I had a good job last year.

Where "help with the bills" includes her trip to Mexico.

Then she bitched at me because "I don't do anything exciting in my life, I never travel."

Gee, $1400 would have made a nice trip ... and I used the rest to pay for school/food/clothes/transportation.

Nuff said.

9. Capicu

Capicu New Member

my parents have been married for 20 years (im 20).

i feel like my mom is bi-polar and/or schizophrenic due to certain things.
    i have a.d.d.
    i feel like i've never been able to communcate with my mother.
    i very rarely communicate with my father yet i feel so much closer to him than my mother.
    i've never been able to have a relationship where my mom doesn't become a problem
    i am her only child but my fathers 4th

i was diagnosed with a.d.d. as a young age and my mother took me out of therapy and failed to explain to me what is "wrong" with me. i grew up very confused about certain things thanks to a.d.d.

i've let my mom make many major decisions for me throught my life and i feel like everything has gone bad so i blame her even though its really not her fault they've gone bad
    but i feel alot of resentment that i've been put in certain situations

they are very old, my dad is 74 and my mom is in her late 60's (shes never told me her real age and i just go by what my other family has told me)

they still work, they own a liquor store.
    kinda funny because they don't drink, yet i have a tendancy to over do it when it comes to alcohol, i had i guess what could be an "alcoholic stage" a few years ago where i did nothing but get drunk, i would cut class to get drunk.

they always come out telling me that they wont be around for much longer and things like that, really depressing shit. doesn't help that most of my uncles and aunts are like fucking ancient and on their death bed.
    i tend to blame my mother for that too. i express to her that it worries me yet she insists that i shouldn't be thinking about it or be worried at all

i think i tend to unconciously look for women like my mother. absolutly fucking insane.

and my current relationship is by far the most problematic.
    my girlfriend has never done anything to my mother but my mom obviously feels threatened by her and feels that shes being manipulative (apparently in my mothers eyes im not capable of wanting to do anything, its always other people who push me to it...apparently)
    my mother has never expressed this to my girlfriend, actually my mom has been extremely nice to this one, yet my girlfriend hates her to no end.

10. Capicu

Capicu New Member

oh and i was never really allowed to do much when i was younger, and i feel like i got too much "affection"

so now i feel like i need to completely break away and i've tried to be as rebellious as possible, which i realize is stupid and i don't really try anymore.

oh and its probably not very healthy to put up with the shit i put up with at home, like my mother going through ALL MY PAPERS and everything else that belongs to me, her barging into my room all the time, etc etc etc.

11. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

My father was/is an alcoholic

Parents are married but do not function as husband and wife

Father resents me for turning my back on him and not taking the career route he thought woiuld be best for me

My mother tends to disregard me because I'm "different"

My younger sister had a baby with her bf and still lives at home (as do I)

I believe that my attraction to older men stems from my relationship with my father

So far it seems I'm doing ok for myself. I put myself through college, own my own vehicle and i think I'm a good person

12. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

mother and father married 6 times each
    both are painfully religious
    mom works in modelling, so either you're epic gorgous, or worthless.
    Dad is a pool shark, drunk, but religions when most inconvenient.
    The both constantly press religion on me, and I'm 26 years old.
    Sister was kicked out at age 17 because the new step dad didn't like her.
    She's been married and divorced once. She's had a series of bad relationships and now is compromising with a guy who doesn't love her how she wants him to.
    Mother is remarried and my step father is cool, but mother makes his life miserable, and spends too much money on shit she doesn't need.

I'm probably pretty fucked up by all of this. I've been single for 6 years, and haven't had a woman acknowledge my presence in 2 years.

13. Hellcat

Hellcat New Member

My family has always been loving/caring and supportive of me and my siblings. They took great care of us, emotionally, financially, and otherwise.

The only flaws I could say would be that they were so supportive that it was hard to leave when it came time. Every one of them has a few of their own issues, but that doesn't really come into play. We don't have tension or fights or anything like that over it - if we can help them, we will.

My parents were dating in HS, got married, and that's about it. Nothing interesting. We don't have drug, legal, marriage, etc problems in most of my family. I guess my family is now kinda the odd one out cause it seems like problems are commonplace these days.

14. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

wow.. i feel like im in the vast minority here

my parents have always fought and had their problems, but they've always been very loving toward us ..

my brothers and i are closer than most of my best friends, we've had to have been .. we've moved around more times than i can count, and we're all each other had to rely on (and still is that way when they get drunk and mouthy and wind up getting me in the middle of their drunken brawls ..)

anything outside of my immediate family though is garbage .. with exception to my grandmother/step grandfather (real grandfather died before my parents got married) on my mom's side (though she has her own issues) .. and my grandmother on my dad's side ..

15. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Lots of other shit I forgot to mention too.

Like how my brother was always treated better than I was.

For example, my parents bought him a cell phone at age 15, before I even had one. I on the other hand had to go for the longest fucking time not being able to have my own phone. I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat, but all my friends had phones, and them not being able to reach me when I wasn't at home led to me being left out of many social gatherings.

Finally as I started getting better jobs and I was able to pay more for school, I bought my own at age 21.

16. blaq19

blaq19 New Member

My mom and dad divorced when I was 3.

Dad spent years in prison off/on. Just remarried a few months back to a 23yr old (I'm 21) I have tons of step-sibling that I've never seen, nor care to.

Mother remarried and divorced, don't really get along with her too well either.

I have a younger sister 16, that I don't really care for or talk to much

I pretty much consider two of my best friends family...

17. RacerJ

RacerJ New Member

Born in louisiana, moved to dallas, texas when i was 6 (1st grade) so most memories of my parents kind of begin there. My dad had a job in dallas until 3rd or 4th grade, then took a job in louisiana because he thought that me and my mom wanted to move back out there. I was young at the time so i dont really remember what my opinion was, but my mom didnt want to move, so my dad was stuck with a job in louisiana while we were living in dallas.

he would leave sunday evening for work and come back friday to spend time with us. This continued for awhile. My parents got divorced and i naturally blamed my dad for lots of things because he wasnt really ever there for us. I became really close to my mom after the divorce and maintained some distance from my dad until i went to college (3 years ago), when i started to "forgive" him for things and just kind of let things go.

I wont go into the details of the divorce, but just recently i found out the specific reason that they were divorced. This changes my whole perspective on the divorce, but at the same time nothing has really changed because it happened so long ago.

Now i feel that i am really close to both of my parents. My dad is remarried, and my mom is in a long-term relationship with her boyfriend. Both of these people i really like, and i'm really just glad that my parents found people to make them happy.

No brothers or sisters, but 2 stepbrothers who i've become close to in the past couple of years. Since i'm the only child, my parents have enormous expectations for me.

If there wasnt so much pressure on me to succeed, i feel like i would be taking a lot more risks and tackling a lot more challenges. instead, i feel compelled to stick with what i'm doing now because it will inevitably lead to some sort of success. I really want to take these risks to see if i can succeed, but at the same time i know i'm going to let down my parents if i try that

18. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

you need to quit whining. 1400 is freaking cheap, and likely didnt even cover the cost of your food for the year, let alone utilities and rent.

19. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

I didn't really mind until she fucking bitched at me for not taking trips or doing anything "exciting" with my life.

20. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

im sure she wasnt bitching at you

21. Speed_Demon1965

Speed_Demon1965 New Member

I have a somewhat normal family, but I'm the middle child of 3 boys and I've always felt kinda like the outcast of the family. The rest of my family has always been somewhat heavy or bigger and I'm the skinny nerd. I never had it bad or anything, but I've recently started to notice that my older and younger brothers both got more things from my parents than I did.

Little bro got cell phone when he was about 13 and all he does it destroy everything he owns, so he's been through 5 phones in about 2 years. He's only 15 right now, but they let him have things that they never let me have like a later curfew, school permit (so he can drive himself to school and shit), and money out the ass. He's irresponsible as fucking hell and, like I said, destroys everything he owns. Yet, they keep on giving to him and I've made it clear to them that they shouldn't do it. They are starting to lay off a little now, but not much. He's 4 years younger than me, but is already a lot taller and bigger than me, which all came naturally to him, no working out or anything. We don't get along much, because I hate his lifestyle and how much of a little unappreciative prick he is.

My older brother was never in my life much when I was growing up as he's 9 years older than me and he was always out with friends. Everyone knew him, and I was just the kid known as his "little brother" even long after he graduated high school. I recently moved in with him, so now I'm living with him. We get along great.

Both of my parents have hid the fact that they aren't legally married for my entire life. I think they got legally separated sometime shortly before or after I was born, but I have no clue. I actually found out by some of my older brothers friends. I heard them talking to him about it or something when I was a freshman in highschool. To this day, my parents have never told me in person. My parents actually hide a lot of shit from me and never tell me much of anything that happens in their lives or anything.

I would consider every member of my family "popular", because no matter where we go at least one person will see someone they know. I was never popular and everywhere I go, they ask me if I'm so and so's brother or son, none of them know my name.

I guess my family is fairly normal for most of the part, it's just me that's the fucking outcast. I feel like I don't even exist in this family most of the time.

22. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

:ugh: I'm sure you know better than me who she was talking to.

23. Deckard

Deckard New Member

Yes, "sure" is a great word to use there, because you totally heard the conversation they had. Definitely:hsugh:

24. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

sounds to me like she was either just gushing after getting back from a great trip, or she was trying to encourage you to get out more

25. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

A great place to start would be to not take my money to finance her own trip.

She told me it was to help with bills. Then 2 months later, oh guess what, I'm going to Mexico. :ugh2: