what is your backup routine?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 4, 2010.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i mirror all my hard drives to separate external hard drives. actually, they are just bare hard drives that i put in a dock with an esata connection

use syncback to see what needs to be backed up. it does the copying for me

i don't have a raid setup in my computer, though i have 5.5TB worth of drives. 1 2TB drive, 1 1.5TB drive, and 2x 1TB drives
    same exact setup for the backup

its a little labor intensive to swap out drives, but i backup once a week.

although, if i have a fire or break in - everything will be gone.

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I just have 2 internal RAID-5s. One with 5 1TB drives and one with 5 2TB drives. Then there is a 2TB global hot spare. I have no method of off-site backup so a fire/break in/etc will fuck me too. I do allow family and whatnot to backup their pictuers/etc via FTP to my RAID.

Cliffs: no backup, just redundancy

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

My Music, Documents, & Pictures on my mac syncs to the 12TB external storage I have, every day. Then everything on the external storage syncs w/ the internal storage in my PC once a day as well.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

manually copy docs/pics, important stuff, to external drive. once i reach a 4gb mark i burn the data to dvd and stick it into our safe deposit box. integrity checks once a year.

5. dorkultra

my dad has a dental office. our backup routine is actually pretty good. he only has 300MB to backup every day, only a small fraction of that changes from day to day - about 4 files are modified

i setup syncback to be idiot proof. they just plug in the flash drive and click run. it automatically closes down the sql database, checks for file changes, and backs up to the flash drive. after its done, it starts back up the database and safely ejects the flash drive. he brings it home with his daily numbers in his petty cash envelope
    on top of that, i vpn into his server and grab a backup every night. then i compress and encrypt it, i upload it to google docs. $5 a year for 20GB of storage is nice

i think i will eventually do a RAID 5 setup...but i'm so worried about losing everything. however with my current setup, i'm running out of space. i have my drives broken up for videos, shows first and second half, general backup

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I use a program on my laptop called SecondCopy. I backup to an external drive once a week and then back that up to another drive on my home PC.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

external USB, copy everything off everyone once in a while

8. dorkultra

i would have thought that OT members would have some bomb proof encrypted redundant bunker of tapes/hard drives/optical/flash storage

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

some people at my work do back up to our SAN from home, replicated to another site, and then have a copy of their data shipped to iron mountain.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

I *could* put my home pc on the corporate network and have my data backed up there, which would mean it's mirrored to 4 or 5 sites around the world.

But an external USB and copy/paste is more than enough for my home backup solution.

11. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

At home everything goes onto another drive that I keep watch on using some sort of monitoring tools. I keep no critical information on the main drive and eventually I move it all off onto cd/dvd media which goes into a fireproof box. Servers use secondary drives or RAID5.

12. dorkultra

this reminds me that i need to buy a stack of dvdrs

13. hypotenuse

hypotenuse New Member

Two servers, 500 gb eached RAIDed, then 1 tb external HD RAIDed

14. wing3draw

wing3draw New Member

Between the family members in our house there are 5 PCs so backup for me is critical. I created another slimline desktop with 4 1 TB hardrives. On each computer I installed Cobain Backup 10 (free) and set a schedule. Basically the username folder on each computer gets backed up once a week through the wired gigabit network.

15. Scrumpt

Scrumpt Active Member

Interesting thread so far. I spent the last couple of days running around getting quotes on data recovery on a cooked drive. It's out my Dad's Company's computer and he neglected backing up all of his important data. 10 mins ago I just cleaned the connectors from the drive to the logical board and its fine. I'm thinking of just doing a scheduled backup of specific folders onto an external drive and try adopt contrab's idea of regularly burning them to dvdrs.

16. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

For home I don't have a real back up, all I have is 3 80 gig HDDs for raid 1 and then another 1.5T drive that I store everything I can't lose. Just copy all the shit into there so nothing happens. If I lose the drive I lose everything but considering it doesn't get much work I don't think its going anywhere. I don't have another drive to back up so I'm kind of stuck for the moment with just that. I'd like to get another 1.5T drive and just mirror the two.

17. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

For home I copy can't lose files to a MicroSD card in the BB. There's really not much I can't afford to lose to be honest.

For work, we use tape - rotate daily and weekly, and archive monthly. We also replicate our satellite offices to here via DFS.

18. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Daily rsync my user folder on my home PC to another HD on the same PC, then later that night I rsync the same user folder to a separate Linux PC. Also rsync from my wife's laptop to my home PC into my user folder so that then gets rsynced off to the separate drive/PC. In short I have 3 copies of all my important data, 2 on 1 PC (separate hard drives) and 1 on another PC.

For the most part I don't trust home-RAIDs, especially not RAID1's. I don't back up anything excessively large so I don't have to spend money on a ton of huge hard drives (don't backup any movies or anything like that unless I made them myself).

19. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

RAID1 is about the safest RAID you can do as far as worrying about losing data without going into 4+ drive setups.

But I agree, I'm not sure why people have a need to backup the obscene amount of crap they collect over the years - save maybe pictures/videos of their own.

20. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

photos and documents are on an external RAID1. I don't really care about anything else

21. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Nothing at home. DVD's at work.

I've never had a hard drive fail, I still have the 20gb hard drive from the first computer I built in the early 90's and the last time I plugged it in (maybe 6 months ago) it worked like a champ.

22. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

hah. almost every hard drive I've ever owned has failed.

Deathstars, Maxtors, WDs, and Seagates

23. dorkultra

i've had every brand of hard drive fail on me

seagate, maxtor, WD, nikimi, fugitsu, hitachi...

only ever lost maybe about 10GB of stuff that was on a maxtor fireball drive

24. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Use em long enough, they'll all fail. It sucks that the ones i keep using are the ones I use least, but store all of my important stuff. :squint:

25. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Prayer and beer. Not necessarily in that order.