What is you target number of calories burned when you do cardio?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by flamingsnowball, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamingsnowball

flamingsnowball Only once the drugs are done...

Especially if you're looking to lose weight

2. gam3ovr

gam3ovr Y Hel0 Thar................

Good question, I was wondering the same thing myself.

Is 2 hours of cycling considered good cardio?

3. Cockdiesel

Cockdiesel Guest

Doing cardio doesnt burn that much calories. For instance, jogging a mile only burns ~ 100 calories, or a piece of bread. It's because the body is such an energy effecient machine.

Just do enough to keep yourself pleased, but 90% of weight loss will be in the kitchen and what you eat.

4. gam3ovr

gam3ovr Y Hel0 Thar................

Of course, calories in has to be less than calories out.... I think thats right.....

5. Cockdiesel

Cockdiesel Guest

Yeah. Most of the general publics perception is that the reason they are overweight is because they dont exercise. But even if they ran a mile daily, which burns 100 calories, they will still be overweight, as chances are they have much more than 100 extra calories lying around if they are overweight to being with. :hs:

It's all about working out and still eating under maintence to lose wieght. Exercise ON TOP OF Diet. :bigthumb:

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i dunno and i dont care. i do tempo runs and speed work for sprinting, i dont really count calories going out or comming in. i'm conscious of what i'm eatting (minimal processed foods basically), but i dont really think "well i ran for an hour today, so i probably knocked off 400 calories..."

7. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

lol

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

9. Sammo

Sammo New Member

yeah? some can burn 500+ calories in less than 30 minutes, which is still substantial if you're only intaking 2500-3000 calories a day

10. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

To control your weight, diet is the way to go.

Cardio is horribly inefficient at "burning fat" (which is what most people want it to do.) It takes a hell of a lot of effort to "burn off" 300kcal.. that's just a small chocolate bar worth.

Cardio is great for making you generally fitter and healthier though, so it should still be an important part of most exercise regimes.

But, weight loss and weight gain is still decided by the kitchen.

A good target would be whatever number you need to remove to acheive your caloric goals for the day.
    If your maintenance calories are 3000, and you like to eat 3000 worth, then you could cardio away 500, leaving 2500, resulting in weight loss. Or you could simply eat 2500 in the first place.. get it?

11. squintypanda

squintypanda New Member

The eliptical machines I use say I burn around 450-500cals everytime I use it (30 minutes on hill mode doing HIIT as best I can) I've always doubted the accuracy of those machines though since according to the treadmills I burn way less calories (~300cals) while it feels a LOT tougher.... :dunno:

12. [][][]

[][][] what makes you think i wont cut you

i was gonna say that :squint:

13. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

14. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

15. Elfling

Elfling New Member

It's pointless imo to gauge your cardio activity by the machine display- they're notoriously inaccurate and overestimate by a huge amount.

Just do your cardio for 30-40 minutes or whatever you're doing, do it hard enough you're sweating- no leaning on the handles, no reading a magazine, and go from there.

16. [][][]

[][][] what makes you think i wont cut you

no reading a magazine? but they've got them all over the place by the cardio section. i always see women leaing down on the handles trying to read a magazine while they're on the elliptical

17. V!

V! New Member

According to the machine display i do about 300 cals

18. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

And yet if you just cut calories, your metabolism slows to use fewer calories.

Metabolism maintenance through daily exercise is the ONLY effective way for most people to lose the weight and keep it off. Its also much healthier, and leaves the fatty looking and feeling better than diet alone. Exercise also allows someone to eat enough bulk and meat that they feel reasonably fulfilled and not like they're staving, while still maintaining a caloric deficit.

Also, its not just the calories you burn doing cardio or doing resistance training. Its the calories you burn for the next 24 hours (cardio), or the next several days (resistance training).

As to the calories... I try to burn as many as I can until the fucking headache hits. Grrrrrr...

20. sc1twntrbo

sc1twntrbo OT Supporter

Don't run for calories. I run for the burning in my legs, soreness in my throat and burning in my lungs. It usually only takes about 30 minutes.

HIIT.

21. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

you are the biggest troll on this site.... and i mean that in more ways than one.

22. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

While cardio isn't necessary to cutting (just being in a calorie deficit), I just go by 1 mile is approximately 100cal burned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.