What is to hot for a GPU

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Feb 11, 2010.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I know I have inadequate cooling but have to work with what I have for now. I keep a temp gauge up on the second screen to keep watch on it when game playing.

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

This is a question that has different answers depending on the model and manufacturer of the video card.

I don't think you are going to get a good answer from here.

I understand there is this website called Google... you could try plugging in your videcard type followed by the word 'overheat'.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I'm aware that there is no one size fits all but there are a lot of gamers in this area, figured I would ask -- thank you for contributing anyways with your generic answer.

Let me re-ask my question maybe, my max temp is 105C on the card. If the card runs around 74c-80 during game play is it healthy? Can a graphics card with stand high temps for long periods of time.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i have an 8800GTS 512MB that hadthose temps under load with the stock heatsink/fan so I would assume those temps for that card are fine.

i replaced the heatsink & fan, and temps are now 55 idle, 65-70 load.

5. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

What cards? My 9800GX2's run @ ~ 95C 24/7. And they have done so for almost their entire lives. Still going strong.

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

9800GTX. Works for me then just worried I'll kill my card eventually due to heat problems playing games so much :wavey:

7. thekraft

thekraft New Member

70-80 is fine, but 105 isn't very good. If you get those temps somewhat frequently, clean out your Gpu fan (and all other fans while you're at it). If that's still not doing the trick, get a new heatsink/fan combo. I don't know how easy they are to replace nowadays, but that may be an option.

8. DIABLOS

DIABLOS New Member

As said above 70-80 is ok over that and your card is likely to fail prematurely.