GUN What is this "sunset" ban I keep hearing about?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Nov 11, 2003.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

I thought there already was a full auto ban in place. Are they thinking of lifting it or something? I live in Texas so maybe it doesn't affect us here.

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

In Sep. 2004, the assault weapons ban, which also ban's high capacity magazines is set to sunset (expire). So unless congress passes another law regarding these things, we can buy these things which we were already able to get, but now we can get them at normal prices.

3. Furner

Furner New Member

Full auto is covered under the National Firearms Act, and I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for that to be lifted....in fact I doubt it will ever change in my lifetime, except to be more strict.

4. texchef

texchef Guest

So if the ban is lifted then the only change will be high cap. mags and assault weapons? Full auto will still be banned?

What are some examples of assault weapons that don't fall under the full auto category?

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Full auto isn't really banned, you just have to go through all the background checks and get the stamp for it, plus all the expenses involved. It's really not worth it. Most assault weapons that are available to the public are not full auto, like the SKS, SAR-1, AR-15, FAL, and many others.

6. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Guest

Yes and No, in about 1986 they changed the law, prior to that time you could buy a semi auto weapon, say a H&K MP5, go through the paperwork, get it all approved, and convert it to full auto. Now you can not, machine guns are available to the public like you say, but there are no *new* machine guns, and there probably never will be. What is already in circulation will stay there, but that's it.
    The paperwork you mention is simply just to transfer from one individual to another, or from a dealer to you.. and it really isn't a big deal, 200 or so bucks and about 6 months of waiting... Go ask the po po for a signature and you're done. It's easier as you do more of them, by the time you get to #5 the po po chief just signs no questions asked :big grin:

7. texchef

texchef Guest

Thanks for the info. The assault stuff really doesn't interest me too much but I saw a few references to it in another post. I guess the only wOOt! for me if it is lifted is the higher capacity mags for pistols.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

NO semi-auto only rifles are assault rifles. an assault rifle, by definition is one that is fully automatic, so that you could, during combat, use it to hold down other troops' heads while your forces assault their positions.

here: http://www.americandaily.com/item/3342

now, stop using the liberal terms. also, they are not "high capacity mags". they are standard capacity mags. the ones they make now are low-capacity, or as i call them, neutered mags.

9. texchef

texchef Guest

Didn't know I was. I assumed it was an "industry slang phrase" like you see in hundreds of other hobbies which is exactly what I consider gun collecting/range use.

I am neither stongly liberal nor strongly conservative. I am a "per situation" person on everything from abortion to gun control.

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It is a phrase in common use. i often use myself, we all have. But Foot is right on both counts. The weapons the 1994 law regulates are not assault weapons and we ought to be more mindful of how we refer to such items, particularly amongst those less educated about firearms.

The devil is in the details. The 1994 was weaseled into law by making the common people think 30rd magazines made a gun more dangerous, flash hiders make the shooter invisible, folding stocks allow rifles to be hidden in your coat pocket, and people with a gun that LOOKS like an M-16 can spray machinegun fire at will, shooting from the hip with 100% accuracy. Sound silly? There are people who don't care about guns (that's fine) who really believe things like that (that's not fine). i've taken folks to the range who were curious but open-minded, and they were shocked to find they couldn't hit a target any better with a simple Marlin lever action or my Buck Rogers "assault rifle" with all the supposedly deadly bells and whistles.

So i've been more careful about my wording. i refer to magazines as "standard capacity" for the 10+ round versions and "regulated capacity" for the 10rd limited ones. (Because if it's regulated, it must be potentially bad, right?) There is also a movement on AR15.com to start calling such semi-auto "assault rifles" something less menacing and even something patriotic. "Homeland Defense Rifle" and "Home Defense weapon" are terms i've heard kicked around. i still usually just say "rifle" though.

True assault weapons are regulated by the NFA 1934 and FOPA 1986 laws.

Semi-automatic rifles that the anti-Constitution people have dubbed assault weapons are regulated by the VCCLEA 1994 (commonly called the 1994 Crime Bill). This is the law you hear about sunsetting in Sept 2004. It was written that it would be in effect for 10 years, then would expire.

It certainly will be nice to be able to buy regular pistol mags again. :big grin: Some great guns out there, but they're just too big for me to justify them only having 10rds.

11. footratfunkface

FNC's would be nice to have. no one wants to import things that they have to change though. dear god, i can't wait until the sunset. there are a lot of rifles that no one wants to ship in to be assembled because making them comply with stupid laws is too expensive.

12. kellyclan

The current bill cannot be extended or renewed as is. A new bill would have to be written and passed. It IS an election year for Bush, two monthes after it passes, he's going to the polls, so i'm still somewhat iffy. Call it 60% confident it'll pass away without replacement.

13. Furner

Furner New Member

Its not "industry slang", its "gun-hating-media" and "gun-ignorant-media" slang. :mad:

14. texchef

texchef Guest

Wow, you would have thought I called someone a fag instead of a homosexual. Pardon my ignorance, no need to get your colon twisted.

15. texchef

texchef Guest

I came to the Arsenal forum to learn and hopefully get some good advice about future firearm purchases not to be insulted and called a "newb", "noob" or any other form of the word stricly because of my post count. I guess I found the wrong forum and I should find one that caters to expanding gun knowledge and information and less for insults and post count boasting. You were once a "newb" too.

16. Furner

Furner New Member

Cool it, he is not a representative of the opinions of the Arsenal.
    I am enraged at the general population, for being sheeple and listening and believing and absorbing every lie the media tells them. Such as the slang in my above post.

17. kellyclan

Enough about the colon twisting, my medical problems are not a topic for discussion. :squint: :squint: :squint:

The Arsenal is here to educate, the best we can, anyone with any honest questions, regardless of their experience with weapons.

Insulting people for asking "noob" questions is counter to the purpose of this section of OT.

18. Furner

Furner New Member

My colon never gets twisted, or abused in any other way. It is an exit-only area, I might add.

19. footratfunkface

man, if i don't eat any fiber for a couple of days, my colon gets pretty twisted trying to drop that stinkpickle that follows the absence of vegetable matter. it's like birthing a gargoyle.

20. jrmy

jrmy Guest

i haven't heard much about this lately

21. Furner

Furner New Member

do you want a cookie or something?

22. wbass24

wbass24 Let's Wheel!

You are absolutley correct Furner, the correct term is "tactical firearms". The media and any opponent to firearms will twist words to make something seem alot more fierce than it really is. When was the last time you have ever heard the military or law enforcement say, "our assault weapons team took care of the situation?" You don't they generally our called "tactical weapons teams"

Hell, in my opinion if someone pulls out a baseball bat and beats somone then that bat just became an assault weapon!

23. Furner

Furner New Member

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

heh, thats part of an email i got yesterday.