GUN what is this called?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by clever_username, May 9, 2008.

1. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

the extension on the end of the barrel. what's the exact name of it?

[​IMG]

i've liked the look of one of those on a 1911 ever since i saw The Punisher, thomas jane, not dolph lundgren

2. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Compensator/muzzle brake?

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That's a compensator or "comp" for short. It's an attachment on the end of a barrel with chambers for the gas to expand then vent upwards to offset muzzle flip. Designing compensators is part rocket science and part vodoo magic. Ask a dozen gunsmiths and you'll get 12 different compensator design philosophies.

Much of how efficient a comp is depends on the ammo. Sorry factory ammo will not drive a comp. You need to reload special ammo using slow buring powder that generates a lot of gas. Such as HS6 or 3n37, and push a light bullet really fast. It also depends on the technique of the person shooting the gun as recoil is different for different people. I've shoot lots of comp guns and some guns shoot really flat as there is very little muzzle flip, but the gun has a very sharp recoil that comes strait back at you. I've shoot other guns that have some flip but the recoil is very soft. You really can't get the best of both worlds. The recoil has to go somewhere (action/reaction).

Now porting a barrel (drilling holes in it) is not the same as a comp. Again depending on how it's done, and the ammo will make it efficient or inefficient. Holes that are two small or too large, to few holes, to many holes, where the holes are, at what angle, etc. From my experience ported barrels can be made to shoot somewhat flat, but they have quite a bit more snap to them. Comp's definately feel softer than ports.

There are also hybrids where ported barrel is matched with a comp. This I think is the hot setup but these bitches are LOUD! You can also build a shorter gun as you don't need as much comp.

OK God Damn Yar did it again typing a stupid novel. I could go on and on about open gun ammo, and how guns track in recoil, and stress on components of the gun, and other modifications to the gun you should get to go with your comp, but most guys stopped reading this post 3 paragraphs ago.

4. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

I found what you were saying quite interesting...

5. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

me too, i read the whole thing

6. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

good explanation. Yes, the whole thing.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

OK good to know people actually read my crap so here is part two...

Another thing people don't know about comps is how much of a pain in the ass they are to clean. They lead up fairly quickly, so if you own a comp gun your going to spend time scaping the comp. If you don't scrape the lead out it will make the expansion chamber smaller and the gun will recoil differently. If you really let it go, it gets to the point where the bullet actually hit the lead and gets a slight defelection. You can tell when this is happeneing when the bullet holes show up as keyholes (bullet was tumbling) or your groups open way up (like going from a 2" to a 10" group). Sucks also in that the longer you let it go, the harder the lead is to scape. I really hate scaping comps. I try to remember to scape once a month. There are things that can be done to help such as bullet selection. JHP bullets seem to be better, plated bullets are good if you can get them to work, and never shoot naked lead (unless you want to scape after each shooting session). Regarding plated and jacket bullets. Becareful if the jacket or plating seperated in the barrel and hits the comp it will damage the comp. Comps are not cheap, a good one will run about $200.

Talking about price if you put a comp on your gun your going to turn it into what we call a open gun. At this point you might as well add a red dot sight, and a really long extended magazine up to 170mm in lenght (that's 28 to 30 rounds in 9mm). To attach the comp you going to need a extended threaded barrel. For the most part the comp should be loctited on. Set screws tend to work loose and if the comp spins off all kinds of bad stuff can happen. So going from comp to suppressor really is not feasable.

Let talk about caliber selection. There are two main calibers that get comp'ed. The most efficient is 38 super. Super has a long case that you can fill with lots of powder to create gas to drive the comp. The other popular option is 9mm. Now on 9mm you should load it longer than factory lenght and put a lot of powder in it. It's what we call a compressed load. It's soilid powder. The 9mm has the advantage of it's easy to find brass for it, but it's kind of a pain to reload (my reloader spill powder everywhere as it indexes.) The 45 acp does not comp well. Just not enough gass. The 357 sig has possibilities, but 357 sig is a pain in the ass to reload as it's a necked pistol case, and it's expensive or hard to find the brass. Going back to 9 and super the popular bullet weight is 124 or 125 grain fmj/jhp's. The 147's don't really work. For specialized minor loads the light bullets like the 115's, 108's, or the 96's are popular. The 108's and 96's are more for super than 9.

Guns that take comps well are Glock and 1911's You don't really see anybody else comping pistols. There are reasons for this. Mostly it has to do with if the gun can take the beating a comp puts on it. The comp pushes down during recoil adding stress to the gun. Certain parts break under the stress. For example the CZ would make a nice gun to comp but it would break a lot of slide lock pins. I know they offer a CZ75 champion open gun but it is impossible to get. Trust me I tried to buy one for 2 years. The glock works fine but it's harder to clean as the barrel no longer comes out the slide. You have to tip the barrel so you can run a rod, and then work in the slide with gun swabs. The 1911 is the most popular platform as the barrel can still come out the front of the slide for cleaning. Now when I say 1911 I don't mean 45 acp single stacks. It's 9mm or 38 super wide bodies aka 2011 or 9mm or 38 super single stacks.

If you read all this you have probably come to the conclusion that comp guns are a pain in the ass. It's really for competition and gun games like uspsa/ipsc. I will tell you that it is a major advantage. The other thing is a comp gun will teach you to be a better shooter. Mostly it's the red dot sight. You actually see what the gun does in recoil. You see the dot dance around or how high it lifts. You can then experiment with grip pressure. For example if I grip the gun too loosely the dot does a little clover leaf in recoil. I also usually miss. If I grip too hard the dot pulls low left or dips down below the target at the end of recoil. If I grip it just right it makes a short hop strait up and down and returns to target. I then apply what I learned to shooting iron sights. I just shoot iron sights better and faster. It is said after a few years of shooting iron sights competitively, shoot a dot gun for a year to get to the next level with iron sights.

OK back to porting. We are starting to see porting on all sorts of guns now. Even carry guns. I really don't think it's nessasary to port a carry/defense gun, but it can have it's advantages. If the gun shoots flatter you can shoot faster. I do worry about two things. First is the liability of the gun. A aggressive lawyer can paint a picture of you as a violent killer with you highly modified pistol blah blah blah. This is why most defense guns are left failiy stock. Second the ports vent gass which can be fireballs at night. This can burn you if you shoot from a retention hold, or take away your night vision. Going back to fireballs at night and night vision. I shoot my open gun at night matches and although it flire balls pretty good I don't notice it. It seems to take place above the gun and my sights. The spectators are impressed by it though.

OK I think I finnaly ran out of stuff to say. I must of bored the fuck out of somebody this time.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  8. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Damn, good write up. I never know it was so complicated.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Again I don't recommend ports on a defensive/carry gun. I don't think it would be your eyes that would get gassed and burned. If your eyes are that close to the ports and at such an angle where that is a danger you got bigger problems. Mainly the muzzle of the barrel is way too close to your head. Being blind is the least of your concerns. Most cases of gas burns are to the torso where you are going to be clothed. Again there would be bigger problems to cause you to fire the gun in that positition. Most likely rolling around on the ground with the bad guy. In which case he is more likely to get the worst of the burns but who cares about that. Worry who is going to get the bullet.

10. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

comps also put more weight out in the front of the gun so the center of balance is shifted forward a little. that also helps decrease muzzle flip.

i read both your posts. i may have to look at the novels you post more often. damn good information.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The weight of the comp in terms of effect on recoil is debatable on how much effect it has. If it was a big factor people would run heavy comps as opposed to light comps. Light in the form of titanium or aluminum are the materials of choice it seems. I dislike weight up front on the pistol as I feel it adds swing weight and makes target transitions more difficult. My preference is towards a real light weight gun.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't think that will help much. The AR is already known as being very foward-heavy, as it is.

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

they were talking primarily about pistols, if you didn't notice all the references to Glocks, 1911s, and CZ :rolleyes:

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Plus an AR has a ton of gas to power a comp.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i didn't really read the thread... sorry

16. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Fuck no man, you seem to always have insightful things to say. I read it all.

17. Ticket Me

Ticket Me Active Member

great post keep them coming

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Yar's posts are almost out of place here. :hsd:

19. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

It's the shoulder thing that goes up. :dunno:

20. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

We need to outlaw these, think of the children!

21. Alamo_Jake

Alamo_Jake Sorry I'm not sorry.

Damnit, you beat me to it.