A&P What is the typical 'vanity fair' headshot? v.gotmyselfsomenewwork

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Got an email today from a source, and I may have a fun new photog job lined up....

A local modeling agency is looking to have 'vanity fair' style head shots done for all of their models...

What would you define as a 'vanity fair' style headshot? No clue what that means...

They also want me to do some of my film noir style stuff for promotional pieces and their ads and such...

Anyone already do this kind of stuff?

Prices? Difficulties? shit to watch out for?

2. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah... Awesome...

*jumps off bridge*

Naah, i'm not worried. Compared to the photog that used to shoot their stuff, I AM richard avedon....

In my head, I'm thinking she just wants some glamour shot looking stuff for the headshots, but the promotional stuff might be pretty involved... I think i'm up to the task though...

I did ask her to send me some samples of the style and look she wants to replicate, so I'll prolly post those up for us to disect the lighting once it starts happening...

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

vanity fair style "headshots" are nothing but Beauty (butterfly and alike) lighting with a good amount of post. Now if they want Vanity style campaigns then yeah i wouldnt even take that job unless you know what you are really doing and do it effeciently

5. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

get a REALLY good makeup artisy/stylist and make sure you both have good working chemistry, that alone will make most of the shot work. The rest if basically lightning and post.. oh yeah and good people skills..work with the model very intimately and casually..good humor with a light atmosphere will make your photo awesome.

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Her response for the promotional pieces:

[​IMG]

:rofl:

fuck.

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

8. turbodude

i hope you are charging alot!

9. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Yeah if they want that look they better be ready to shell out the cash

10. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

lol good luck buddy, thats a hard one

11. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

:rofl:

12. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

doesn't look that hard. with the exception of the beautiful subjects and the great costumes, what's hard about putting together some tiered boxes, the same ones they have at a sear's portrait studio :rofl:

13. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

setting may seem simple, but you have to account for lights, makeup artists, hair people, clothing designers and making it all work with over 20 people in one room. I bet you that shot was over 3 hours in the making..at least

whoops almost forgot to add working with the lights

14. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Which shitty agency is it in town?

I really hope they are paying. And not giving you the typical BS line of "We'll credit you for the photos, but no compensation. If we like your work, we may hire you for a paying job in the future. But really, we'll just find another sucker to work his ass off for free."

No one has a budget around here to spend on projects to get them done right it seems.

15. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

He has to let them know that they need to provide all those services though, he can't be held responsible for MUA, hair people, and clothing if they're the ones with the vision. If they sent me a photo like that I would immediately let them know that that wasn't just a photo, it was a team effort to get it to where it was, and if they want that kind of quality they need to hire a few more people. If they don't act professional, they shouldn't expect professional work in return.

16. turbodude

ummm very difficult.

Cyclorama for one.
    Lots of Hair
    Lots of Makeup
    Stylists
    Costumes

Lighting and clicking teh shutter is the last part, and probably the least difficult.

17. turbodude

but to acheive a shot like that you will need MUA and Stylists and Art director that has worked together before to acheive one specific look. For a shoot to this magnitude do not charge less that $2500-4000 and thats really really low.

Have them draw up a budget on what they are willing to spend on this shoot, and then you let them know if the quality can be acheived with their allowed funds.

18. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Actually, he should be responsible for all that stuff, the client shouldnt be. As a professional, the client gives you their vision and its up to you to make that happen within the budget you give to them. If you need all those things, you arrange for them and you tell the client how much it will cost.

You're the artist, not them. Its not up to them to know or have to find MUA and stylists, thats your job.

If a photographer ever came back to me and said I needed to find all those things, I'd simply find someone that knew what they were doing. As a client all I should have to do is write the check and the rest should be done for me.

19. turbodude

ding ding ding Winrar!!! you need to get how much they are budgeting