MMA what is the secret???

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Oct 5, 2006.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

So if you already don't know, I run a bjj club at my university (been up for 4 years now, but I've only been part of it for the last 3 years) and noticed that we have a HUGE dropout rate. i.e. a ton of people will come to try it out and then after a few weeks the attendance will be 25% to 10% of the first class.

Now I look at the other clubs on campus (specifically capoera, wing chun, and taekwondo) and notice that they have an insane amount of people CONSISTENTLY going to class. What are they doing differently that attracts more people?

2. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

maybe people who don't know much about it just think it's not effective :dunno: they want to do mad azian skill kicks like jackie chan :hsugh:

and bjj is not easily promotable since to some people who are first getting into it, may seem a little bit boring and not as flashy as the other martial arts

3. Do you guys spar? I know I have not gone back to my jj class because I haven't had time yet between krav/work/school. I really LOVE the class though I just am super busy.

Edit: Er holy shit do we go to the same school?

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

how can the new people even think its not effective? We kick their asses going LIVE from day 1...

5. Ahem...

6. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

scaring them off?

7. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i'm just saying for a person that doesn't really know much about martial arts etc...

8. Pommy

Pommy Pose. Click. Fashion

Maybe there was too much ghey huggings.

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

what school do you go to? LOL imagine if we already met.

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

And regarding scaring them off or having too hard of an environment... I think we try to make it as casual as possible. I literally tell them that they can come and go as they please, experience doesn't matter etc. We even have some people who just leave as soon as we start rolling :rolleyes:, and say nothing about it. BUT they don't come back...

11. DerekForeal

DerekForeal Diamond Member

we get the same thing at my mma club. especially with all the ufc watchers now. a lot of people think they are tough and in good shape until they actually get tested and realize they aren't.

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

for us... its more of a matter of people trying it out and not coming back. Most of them don't come with the intention of proving themselves...

13. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Well shit, I personally would jump at a chance to join a bjj club but all the shit that they have at OSU is the really ineffective stuff that does little else but make you look like a Final Fu contender. I'd wager that the majority, as mentioned above somewhere, is just clueless as to the effectiveness and real life application of all the martial arts offered and would probably rather stick with something that teaches you a flashy spinning back kick than a sub.

Our clubs are always posting the same generic notices throughout the main Rec advertising their martial art. I'd suggest similar advertisement if possible, but to make sure to stand out from the rest. If you have to throw a cheesy UFC or Pride reference out there to attract a crowd, then go for it. But yeah, I'd be there in a second :dunno:

14. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Do you assign people partners to roll with or do they just chose whoever they please? When I first started Krav Maga I liked the sparring to be structured by the instructor, so that I didn't have to feel like I was "challenging" somebody when I came up to em. Takes the ego out of it.

15. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

dude the equation here is simple.

tkd, kung fu, capoera. all involve looking cool and not enduring very much physical discomfort doing so.

bjj. don't look cool at all, get very tired, very sweaty, and get stomped on for a good 6 months before you even have a clue what is going on.

16. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

when our instructor comes he assigns partners but towards the end of class its just roll w/ whoever you want.

17. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

My friend made the jiu jitsu club at our school and I've been a part of it for 2 years so far (including this year). We have a lot of new people, a lot of wrestlers, some experienced and some not.

But we're all pretty nice, I personally go out of my way to introduce anyone thats new to grappling and show them the basic armbar, triangle, guard pass, and so on. I would spend about 30 minutes with them and roll with them a little bit and give them small advice on certain mistakes they do and then I let them go roll and randori with everyone else but I tell them to leave the ego at the door and to tap when they have to so they don't break anything.

Usually we have 3-4 people who are at least blue belt level or are blue belts that do this so we have a good amount of people that are consistent in their attendance.

And usually when there are no noobies to show anything or even if there are, we would usually spend the first 10-15 minutes showing a certain new technique and then letting them randori.

18. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

at ALL times in our club there are at least two blue belts (training partner and myself) and twice a week a very good purple belt comes down to help. All of us i would say definitely go out of our way to teach the very basics to the new people... but the thing is I am always wondering as I teach someone if they will even bother coming back the next day.

When they don't... I start wondering if its really worth my time teaching every new person all the basics over and over.

The only problem with the way it is now that I see is that our club isn't an official bjj academy where only people who care come to train (and pay). It is accessible to just about anybody who attends the university and results in a lot of people who are unsure if they want to come back or not...

Our club is the most relaxed among any of the others though, no strict teachers screaming that they are "teh deadly", and no forms, no forced payments, etc. Confuses me as to why people would CHOOSE to go to taekwondo and get yelled at for not doing an ineffective kick, and forced to pay 50$ per belt.

19. MyLittleAirport

I guess the key is to make them feel welcome and comfortable. People learn at different rates and I think a lot of times people forget that BJJ should be fun and that they should have fun learning it instead of thinking its something where they'll feel like shit at the end.

I usually see the same people coming back kinda excited to learn new moves and improving their games, I mean a lot of them are like TUF fans but if they want to learn then I don't mind and I'll show them some moves to see if they like it or not.

20. MyLittleAirport

I know what you mean but honestly with me, when I teach new people and if they don't come back the next time, I really don't remember them lol. I just kinda forget and show some other guy some new moves, some stick around and some don't. It helps when you get friends of friends of friends and so on to come in, it helps with the mood and atmosphere.

I remember an article where these Martial Artist Instructors trained people for free and some people would come and train but would stop coming after a couple weeks while when they charged before, they saw a lot of people sticking around and being committed. I think its just a mental thing when it comes to people, like if they are spending $$$ on it, they must be getting something out of it while when they aren't spending $$$, they don't think it is as important or that the instruction is not as good so they go to some place that makes them pay.

21. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

if you pay monthly money for something then it forces you to go because you dont want to be paying for nothing. its not because they assume if it costs money that it's better

22. MyLittleAirport

I'm sure its a mixture of both for some but not for all.

23. UMBC? That would be a coincidence huh?

24. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

Hot chicks in class :naughtyd: srsly

We got our gym packed that way a few years ago...plus we had tons of male spectators on the sidelines LOL!

25. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

they do it for fitness instead of full contact :dunno: