SRS what is the real advantage to college?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Jun 27, 2007.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I dropped out my first semester. I am contemplating going back this fall, but I just don't see the advantage to it other than getting a job. I can easily join a Union and do labor, or I can sit in a desk and do pencil pushing from 9 to 5. Are college people better off somehow? Is it the college experience? The only way it would be worth it to me, is if you go to become some kind of doctor/lawyer, but that takes too long.

2. What do you want to be in life? If you prefer manual labor, you might not need to go to college. If manual labor isn't your thing, you might want to consider college.

3. bigballofyarn

bigballofyarn OT Supporter

College experience is good for you. Also you are guaranteed more money based on the type of degree you have.

An average HS grad gets 30,400 per year, and an average person with a 4 year college degree gets a salary of 52,000. As your degree goes up, so does your salary.

So if you're capable of living on significantly less pay, or capable of finding a well paying job without higher education, then college won't be beneficial to you.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Let me share something with you.

I lived in my parents house for 18 years. I lived under their wing and let them tell me what to do and asked them for advice when I needed it.

I went away to college, over 600 miles away. I wanted to support myself and see if I had the balls to continue my parents work without them standing over my shoulder all the time. I wanted to experience new things and I wanted to discover who I was.

That's why I went to college.

I also went because Tech has a great Engineering school and I want to be a computer engineer who researches new and cool ideas that are 10 years infront of the normal people.

So College to me is:

A) Develop my set of skills into a profession
    B) Develop who I am for the rest of my life

You can probably do that without forking $20,000 a year (in my case at least), but College does stuff to you that you will never believe.

But of course, my opinion might be biased with my new found school spirit :/

5. seejay

seejay New Member

Listen, the trades and services are sceaming for people for upper level management and supervisory positions. My husband makes over 60K a year in construction. No college. You've got four years to invest in book learning or in pratical experience. You know how much plumbers average? Or electricians? They make anywhere from $12 to $33/ hr. You have to work your way up but if you start your own business, more's the better. You can expect to invest about two years apprenticeship...which you get paid for, rather than having to pay.

We need young American males to regain an interest in the American trades or they will cease to be American trades.

6. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

College is great, if its your kind of thing.

If it's not, then don't go. Yeah, its a great way to learn independence and all that, but so is just moving out and taking care of yourself.

Go to a trade school or start working somewhere where you can "climb the ladder" so to speak. It may be a bit harder to find a job with a good starting salary if you don't have a degree, but if that doesn't matter to you then theres no problem. :)

Good luck out there man!

7. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

:werd: My dad works in trade. You get paid for your apprenticeship (2 years) He's made more than enough to support my mom and my 2 brothers and I. My mom was a stay-at-home mom, she never worked outside our home until we were all in school (about 12 years total) and we went on several large vacations every year.

You get your salary, plus foreman's pay (if you're a foreman) , plus other work accommodations usually- truck, cell phone, etc. plus union benefits... It's very hard work, but it really pays off if you can hack it. Plus he's had the chance to work at some really amazing jobs. :bigthumb:

8. Barky

Barky woof

College is where I thrive... I love to learn I guess, push up your nerd glasses

9. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Bottom line is: Do you want to learn by experience (in the field), or learn by book, then by experience.

If you think the book is a waste of time (which in your case it might), then skip it altogether. My plan is to go into research, and there is no way that i can skip school for that. I play to get my masters as well.

In 6 years, I'll get in touch with you and I'll tell you how much i'm making and we can compare.

10. seejay

seejay New Member

IF you make it all the way through school.

I wish you the best.

11. daaarn

daaarn New Member

it really just depends on what you want to do later in life. also, your enjoyment of college lies mainly on you, although more and more i believe that where you go also matters (at least a little). sometimes you can only do so much with what's there. before i transferred schools i thought that the school itself didnt matter, but now i feel differently.

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

look at monster.com or careerbuilder.com

almost every job requires both a BA/BS and 1-2 years experience. if you want to end up making 6 figures you're going to need that degree or else you will find it difficult to advance

13. BradUF

BradUF Guest

It really depends on what you want to do but at most jobs you do hit a point where you can't advance any higher without a degree.

14. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I understand the advancement part. What I don't understand is why everyone talks through employee eyes. What about your employer? the owner of the company? etc... Do most of these guys have degrees? Are these guys just the ambitious ones that made it big without college?

15. Tehrod

Tehrod New Member

most people that are higher up usually have a degree. Those that don't, i'm sure, are in the minority.

Basically a degree secures you a solid job, without a degree you're sort of left to fend for yourself.

16. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I've seen it happen that successful people make it whether they have college degrees or not.

College is valuable in such a way that's it's the few short years left in your life where you're allowed to still make mistakes. Each semester is a whole new opportunity to have a goal, stick it out, and then come out with a result in the end. You have opportunities to interact with instructors who are often experts in their own fields who are willing to give you straight advice if you'd only ask. And you have the chance to put your skills up against peers to guage where you are.

You're not going to have as many of these chances once you're out here working. You make mistakes, you're fired. You want information from experts, you pay them big bucks. You want to see how you stand up against your competitors...the only way is to see how much money you have in your wallet at the end of the day.

On a less abstract level, there are technical skills you'll learn on some areas that you would otherwise have to stumble across yourself in a much longer period. Take for example I once taught myself how to use Quark to do desktop publishing stuff...when I later returned to take some courses, the skills I had to experiment and find out for myself in the field, was covered in detail in a span of about 1 week in a classroom environment. I thought to myself, "shit, I should have just taken this class in the first place and saved myself a whole lot of time"

I think college grads do not have any better chances of succeeding then a non-college grad with work ethic and ambition. I've seen very successful business owners and managers without degrees. But you'd certainly have a headstart attending college.

17. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

School is for some people and isn't for others. If you aren't sure you want to be there I wouldn't go back. If you don't know you want to be there how do you know you will do the work? I never finished highschool but I should be opening a restaurant in a year from now or so. You can still make it without school, you just have to want it and know how to get it.

18. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Most training you will need you'll get on the job thats not really what college is for IMO its all about responsibility and time management if you are dedicated enough to make it thru 4 years of hell that says a lot about a person.

19. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I think that sort of applies to people who have a dream, and they need college to get there. I think most people go to college because they have been told that is the only thing to do after high school by their parents or society in general. So to me, just because someone has 4 year degree doesn't necessarily mean they went through 4 years of hell because of their extreme dedication. It's also an assumption that people make about college people that they shouldn't be making. Like that this guys has a 4 year degree, he's worth training because he'll stick around. Also, lets pay him more because he's definitely more responsible with his degree. Why? It's bullshit. It just a way for people to hype themselves up. "I have a college degree, so I have to act professional all the time."

Of coarse i'm just making these counter arguments because I have always hated school.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  20. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Wow, thanks man. This is exactly the type of response I look for when I post my problems on this forum.

21. jonno

jonno New Member

all depends on what you want to do as a career.. and as a young person it;s very tough to decide that. good luck

22. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I hated every minute of college wanted to just give up and quit several times but I knew my career would be shit b/c I wanted to go into engineering and you need a degree. I agree with you its not fair to give someone a better job just b/c they have a college degree and this other guy doesn't, you shouldn't be judged on that but hey thats the way it goes :dunno:

23. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

All I can say is I am SO glad I didn't drop out of college (which I thought of doing about a year ago). I graduate in August and will obtain a job I never would have gotten without a degree.